PDA

View Full Version : Soft Claws vinyl Nail Caps.

yokitty
29-11-2006, 05:52 AM
Hi there Im a Veterinary nurse. Im new to this forum and was reading some of the previous posts about rehoming cats because of their destructive nature. I think this silly as there are way too many abandoned cats aready running around on the streets.
I think I have found the solution for people at their wits end. Soft Claws (http://www.spuk.com)nail caps, they are flipping brilliant:lol:

I got it from my Veterinary wholesaler NVS by Special order and it came teh next day. The rrp is £21 for a six month pack.
The Vet has been praising this froduct for years, so I thought I try them out when my new sofa arrived. I have to say They really do work and life hasnt been better since my cat Fluffy began wearing them. Fluffy displayed no signs of discomfort or distress, she didnt even notice them on (she is an indoor cat)

They are a vinyl / rubber sheath that are glued onto the claws and effectively blunt the claws up to 6 times longer than regular triming. They fall off after 6 weeks with the natural shedding so there is no risk of fugal infection.

I recomend it to anyone in a desperate situation - Its a fantastic product and will definately lower teh amount of abandoned cats each year.

Has any one tried them yet? you can get more info here:

www.softpaws.co.uk (http://www.softpaws.co.uk)

Heres a pix from the site. Alison VN

Btw. The coloured ones are only available online, I found Vets are only supplied the clear natural ones - good for those less flamboyant felines.

http://static.flickr.com/56/151458467_198aed32c9_m.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/106/261471165_192ddbe18e_m.jpg

yola
29-11-2006, 09:59 AM
Alison - those sheaths are superb!!! I love the vibrant coloured ones :-D I agree - cats clawing furniture is no reason to rehome a cat. It comes with the territory; if you can't face a bit of scratched furniture - don't get a cat!!!

A neighbour here used to put her cat out all day in all weathers as she was scared her precious sofa would get ruined. I had a right set-too with her when she caught me putting food out for the cat; the cat didn't eat all day as she was outside all this time :-D

Sadly we live on a busy road and the beautiful fluffy girl met her end there :evil: . Boy did I and a neighbour give this woman what for when we found out. She moved soon after.

All goes to show that cats ARE more important than furniture and such a small thing as Soft Claws can make all the difference!!!

Rosie
29-11-2006, 10:06 AM
I am not sure that I agree with this. A big part of both of my cat's days are spent scratching and stretching and especially for little Alfie he also uses his teeth (getting rid of baby teeth etc). How can they keep their nails trimmed if they are covered? How can they grip when they jump etc?

Fran
29-11-2006, 10:52 AM
Not really sure how I feel about this. I am of the opinion that if you don't like the fact that cats have claws and scratch things then a cat is not the right pet for you. I don't think we should be interferring with their claws in this way just to suit ourselves and make living with them more tolerable :?

borderdawn
29-11-2006, 03:44 PM
I think its a disgrace! They should be banned, and whats more I find it very unpleasant that a vet nurse would be reccommending them. Talk about wanting to dress pets up! Cut their nails, then glue them on, for gods sake and for dogs too!!! You can stick pretty coloured nails on yourself leave your pets alone, it you dont want claws on cats, dont have a cat!
Dawn.

Tanya
29-11-2006, 04:12 PM
I would rather Oli scratch my furniture than have to be dressed up like a clown! I think it would be unfair to put these on him because he loves scratching his post, the rugs and the bed!! :)

Snoof
29-11-2006, 05:20 PM
I don't like these either, although they're better than declawing.

Where did this idea come from that claws are bad? I can see wanting to preserve your furniture and such, but here's an idea - don't get a pet with claws, then.

Sashimi is very playful and clearly her previous owners never taught her not to scratch or bite hands, but you know what? That's a risk you take with a cat you take on at the age of 3, so we deal with it and redirect her attention to toys she can bite and scratch all she likes. Similarly, a scratched-up couch is a risk you take when you take on a clawed pet.

CathyW
29-11-2006, 06:39 PM
mine have an old runner in the hallway which they scrap up to their hearts content. very rarelydo they go for the furniture, hey id love a leather suite, but i love my cats more and so i dont have a leather suite.
sorry dont like them claw covers dont seem natural.

Elaine
29-11-2006, 08:31 PM
The Diva would have your face off if you tried to put those on her, its hard enough to trim her claws never mind fiddle about with glue and stuff.
Sorry not a fan of these products as others have said if you want an animal that doesnt scratch the furnature, get a goldfish.

whiskey
29-11-2006, 08:57 PM
i did put a link up for these after my cats had sratched my sofa but like i said i couldnt get my head round my cats with these on and not for one min could i even consider getting rid of my cats because of the damage they have caused i just deal with it:D

dandysmom
29-11-2006, 09:11 PM
I think this is a terrible idea! If the furniture is more important to you than your cat's happiness, then don't get a cat! Mine have always clawed furniture and I just live with it: when the chairs get ratty looking, I get slipcovers! Besides, even if I wanted to use those things, there is no way Leia would hold still and let me glue them on!!! Fortunately, her favorite clawing spot is the top of my wooden wine rack!!

Booktigger
30-11-2006, 11:41 AM
I personally don't like them, but I think in America they are a very good thing, as they will prevent cats from being declawed.

yokitty
01-12-2006, 08:04 AM
Ok I seem to have created a stir here. I am here just to give a balanced opinion of it based on my own experience.

They are easy to apply, if you can clip the claws then thats the hardest part done. Sliding a sheath over takes no time at all and does not affect the cat.

Scratching is the number one reason for abandonment and neglect. Fact.
Many clients come into our surgery desperate for a solution, we suggest scratching posts, feliway, training techiques but too often this all fails and they give up on their cats.
there are thousand of owners who would not like to fully abandon their pets so as one person said eariler, they will force the cat to live outdoors permantly occasionally feeding it. is this a humane solution?

I appreciate many of you have many cats and live in homes torn to bits by their cats, but is it wrong to be house proud? It is easy to slander things without any personal experience, I speak as a nurse - I will not say where I work as I suspect there are some people out there with nothing better to do than make my life a misery for saying these soft claw nails (http://www.spuk.com) have a place.

Faced with rehoming and Soft Claws - I know which I will choose. The clients we fit tehm on have been delighted how they can now enjoy a better relationship with thier pets.
Can someone answer the old paradox "Dont have a cat if you can not live with the scratching' Ok...what do you do if all your options are exhausted - training has failed, scratching posts only provide a temporary distraction? So what do you do when you already have a feline friend? rehome it?

Come on be realistic a INDOOR cat already gets its claws blunted every week by trimming - why is this not treated in the same light? These claw covers only keeps them blunt for longer and to answer the question "how can you trim the claws with the covers on"
As you firstly trim the claws prior to the claw sheaths, it isnt necessay to trim them as often. The claws will contine to grow within - They grown entirely differently from humans as they grown outwards like a banana skin. They will shed naturally after 6 weeks and the cat Claw cover will just fall of - preventing any infection from occuring. You can then trim the claw and repeat the process.

The cat can still stretch and pull at things and exercise with them on. Mine can easy scale a 6 foot fence!

They have been around on the veterinary market for over 10 years apparently. Forget the colours they do provide a solution for the desperate owner and we only recomend them when all else has failed and rehoming is considered.

I can answer any question you have about this as I have experience. I hope everyone has enough decency not to personally attack me for expressing my views.

Perhaps you should read the testimony section and make your own minds up
http://www.spuk.com/testimonials.asp

I would like others to come forwards if you used these before, I would like this to be a fair discussion based on facts not assumptions. Do others think they have their place?

Alison

dinahsmum
01-12-2006, 10:14 AM
I think this is really interesting.
Don't think I would use them but neither would I criticise anyone who did

kado
01-12-2006, 11:06 AM
We got a new sofa and guinness is the main cat that claws the settee infact he as virutualy ruined on arm of it. Kay copies him we do have a scracth post but all he does is sleep on it. Kay has started to copy him now. Guinness just sits there and stares at you when he has done it. we tell him off ten minutes later he's bck again. I dont know if my cats would let you put them on and i dont think i would try. Its there nautral instincts anyway i love them all too bits and they get away with it anyway.

yokitty
01-12-2006, 11:28 AM
Im sorry to hear that Kado :( They can be very naughty.

Whats the most damage your kitty has ever done?
One Client spent £2300 on a new DFS sofa and within weeks there were marks all over it. Saddly the last we heard of this owner, she gave her cat away - thankfully it was to a relative I think.

Does any one else have stories of wanton feline Destruction? :lol:

yola
01-12-2006, 11:40 AM
I defense of soft claws, I think they were introduced in the U.S. initially as an alternative to the terrible and barbaric declawing of cats. I can understand why people kick back against them, but conversely, I don't see a problem as long as the cat is not in any discomfort or distress.

I am, of course writing from a perspective of an owner of cats that are prodominently indoor. If my cats had regular outdoor access I can see how it might compromise the claw's grip and possibly interfere with their ability to defend themselves against other cats.

borderdawn
01-12-2006, 06:38 PM
I appreciate many of you have many cats and live in homes torn to bits by their cats, but is it wrong to be house proud?
Not at all, but if you have a Cat you should know what it has on the end of its toes!

Faced with rehoming and Soft Claws - I know which I will choose

Me too, Id have the Cat away from them in a flash, then find it a suitable home where it will be appreciated for what it is.

Come on be realistic a INDOOR cat already gets its claws blunted every week by trimming - why is this not treated in the same light? These claw covers only keeps them blunt for longer and to answer the question "how can you trim the claws with the covers on"

Really, mine dont!

The cat can still stretch and pull at things and exercise with them on. Mine can easy scale a 6 foot fence!
My friends Cat can scale a 6ft fence with 3 legs and no tail!

These things are pathetic, an American designer toy, otherwise they wouldnt come in such "pretty" colours!
Dawn.

Fran
01-12-2006, 06:58 PM
I know it's hard to believe everyone ;) but I have to agree with Dawn's point of view on this one!

Don't like claws, then don't have cat is my opinion ;)

borderdawn
01-12-2006, 07:18 PM
I know it's hard to believe everyone ;) but I have to agree with Dawn's point of view on this one!

Don't like claws, then don't have cat is my opinion ;)
Stop it Fran, stop it now!!:-D :-D

Judging from the 4 posts Yokitty has made, I can only assume she came on here solely to promote this terrible product. no intro, no nothing. Maybe she is getting commission?

Mags
01-12-2006, 08:17 PM
deleted.............

borderdawn
01-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Yokitty, I am a little confused, in your profile you say you are male, but you sign "Alison" ??
Dawn.

yokitty
01-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Hi Dawn, contary to what you might think, Im not getting commision ( Although it woul dbe nice:) )
I was searching the net about this product I found a mention on it here with some posts about rehoming.
I wanted to find out if this product was used outside of the veternary market as it has helped many of our clients.
I was going to report back to teh head surgeon who was thinking of stocking the products instead of ordering them in as a special order.

It is something I think more poeple should be aware of if they are considering rehoming - nothing else.

why are people always nasty to newbies :p

btw My cats a male? I must have made a mistake.

dandysmom
01-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Yokitty, I'm sorry if you think we were being "nasty" to you! You posted something that you thought would be interesting and helpful...it just so happens that most of us do not feel that this product is something we would want to use, and maybe expressed ourselves a bit too strongly. Everyone has a right to her/his opinion; I hope you'll continue on in the Forum! No hard feelings...??

borderdawn
01-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Hi Dawn, contary to what you might think, Im not getting commision ( Although it woul dbe nice:) )
I was searching the net about this product I found a mention on it here with some posts about rehoming.
I wanted to find out if this product was used outside of the veternary market as it has helped many of our clients.
I was going to report back to teh head surgeon who was thinking of stocking the products instead of ordering them in as a special order.

It is something I think more poeple should be aware of if they are considering rehoming - nothing else.

why are people always nasty to newbies :p

btw My cats a male? I must have made a mistake.

Not nasty, just very curious as to why a "newbie" wouldnt even introcuce themselves or their pets, but come straight on advocating a fantastic product! little sus dont you think?

Anyways, tell us about yourself and your cat, you'll see we are a friendly bunch :D

Elaine
01-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Shouldnt people be considering ALL of a cats attributes BEFORE getting one?
My biggest problem is that it has been my experience that people DONT try to encourage their cats to use scratch posts and in some cases wont even spend the money on them. Many people, present company excluded, have no interest or commitment to understanding and working with their animals in order to better their relationship with them.
Its my personal opinion that these people who are putting their cats up for rehoming are mostly lazy and not interested in learning , growing and accepting their pet for what it is.

dandysmom
01-12-2006, 09:33 PM
Well put, Elaine!!

Tom
02-12-2006, 01:31 AM
I don't think its right what they are used for but have to admit they look pretty cool!!

__Tom

yokitty
02-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Thankyou everyone. I did feel a little unwelcomed here.
Im Alison from Enfield in North London, Ive been working as a junior nurse for almost a year now at a local practice. Animals have always been my passion. I ve owned several pets before deciding I should give a friends kitten a good home. Id always had small animals - terripins, hamsters, tropical fish - so getting a cat was always going to be difficult as I lived with my parents. Thankfully she was mostly fine and didnt present much trouble, well until me and my b.f moved into a flat.
Anyhow it seems you all are a nice bunch, a little harsh at times :)

dinahsmum
02-12-2006, 05:17 PM
:smt039 Hi Alison - you're very welcome here! We are friendly and seldom 'harsh' :)

[attach-center]56[/attach-center]

Tom
02-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Welcome Alison!!!

__Tom

Mags
02-12-2006, 05:45 PM
[attach-center]219[/attach-center]

Hi Alison, hope you'll enjoy it here even after the initial hiccup ........ we really are a friendly lot! ;)

yokitty
02-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks Yola,Tom, Mags, dinahsmum all and all the rest that have made me welcome.

Mags I love your signature "A dog will sit beside you while you work; a cat will sit on your work"
Thats so true lol

yola
02-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Stick around Alison - it's really ever so nice here :D

Would love to see some pictures of your cat . . . what's her name and what kind of problems are you having with her (wouldn't be furniture scratching would it LOL ;) )

Elaine
02-12-2006, 08:16 PM
:lol: at Yola.
Hi Alison, we are a friendly bunch really:? :D
Hope you stick around and learn just how friendly we can be.;)

dandysmom
02-12-2006, 08:50 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Mags40/Catsey%20graphic/dandysmomwelcomegraphic.jpgGlad you're sticking around, Alison!

Fran
02-12-2006, 08:50 PM
[attach-center]220[/attach-center]

You are most welcome here Alison. We are a friendly bunch but most of us are not afraid to express our opinions :-D Stay around and I am sure you will soon feel at home here :D

alexgirl73
02-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Welcome Alison, honest we are a nice bunch on here!

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m12/alexgirl73/alexgirl73-3.jpg

Ps Teddie is a girl not a boy lol (the little cream one)

borderdawn
03-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Yes Welcome Alison, Frans right some of us speak our minds (me!!) but you are very welcome.
Dawn.

Snoof
04-12-2006, 09:26 AM
I don't see where anyone's been nasty to you, Alison. We've spoken our minds, but we've not been nasty. As for indoor cats getting their claws trimmed - I have an indoor cat (she is currently as she was given to me already pregnant and will not be allowed out until she's been spayed, so that's a few months to go yet) and she doesn't get her claws trimmed. We discourage her from scratching the furniture and she's getting a posh scratch mat for her Christmas.

People don't have to agree with you to be within the bounds of politeness.

Welcome to Catsey!