PDA

View Full Version : pee odour

catsinc4
28-11-2006, 12:08 AM
has any1 got any tips or products that will remove the smell from carpet?grrrrr binka will pee for any reason and i can smell it!!all i know is bleach makes it worse.its usually on the wood floor or table etc or linen basket i can wash but carpet this time:(

Mags
28-11-2006, 12:14 AM
Try using a detergent to start with, that usually removes the odours........

Moli
28-11-2006, 12:17 AM
Mix 1 part water to 3 parts vinegar. Then dampen the area that was urinated on, with the vinegar-water solution. DON'T BLOT. Here is where most people go wrong. Place something semi-heavy that won't absorb the solution, like a large laminated book, on top of the area you are treating. Let the spot dry. Most people don't put anything over it and then the vinegar just evaporates without taking away the urine smell. But if you do place something on top of it the vinegar will have time to neutralize and evaporate the urine. It will take some time for it to dry, several hours. When it is all dry treat the area again, but with 3 parts water and 1 part vinegar. Don't forget to put something over it. After it has dried for the second time, the urine smell should be gone. It may take a couple of days for the vinegar smell to go away. This really does work though

dinahsmum
28-11-2006, 09:01 AM
That sounds a good tip Moli - hope I don't need it for a long, long, time!
An onion, cut in half on a plate, will absorb a lot of the smell that's in the room and help on a temporary basis. (Also great for absorbing paint smells when you're decorating)

Fran
28-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Good tip Moli! I knew about the vinegar but didn't realise that you had to put something over it whilst it dries..I just scrub the area with a vinegar solution. Will remember that tip!

yola
28-11-2006, 11:01 AM
Excellent information Moli!! I was just going to say go and get a pet odour eliminating liquid from your local pet shop :roll:

smudgley
28-11-2006, 11:14 AM
apparently biological washing powder.
10% (that's the key - it MUST be 10% dilution) will neutralise the area.

dinahsmum
28-11-2006, 11:31 AM
apparently biological washing powder.
10% (that's the key - it MUST be 10% dilution) will neutralise the area.
What do you mean Smudgley? 1 tablespoon of powder to 10 tablespoons water? ..... or something else. Don't quite understand your dilution - but then, I'm stupid! :?

smudgley
28-11-2006, 12:13 PM
What do you mean Smudgley? 1 tablespoon of powder to 10 tablespoons water? ..... or something else. Don't quite understand your dilution - but then, I'm stupid! :?

It was something we were told at the behaviour course & she said it must be 10% dilution. 1 part powder to 10 parts water. :) Never tried it, but she was very good & seemed to know her stuff - so worth a try. :)

dinahsmum
28-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks Smudgley .... but I'd be worried that was so strong a solution I'd never get the soap out of the carpet :? - maybe I'll stick to Aggie's (:oops: oops - to Moli's) vinegar tip! :)

catsinc4
28-11-2006, 03:11 PM
thx i will save that!!!!

sunshine687
18-01-2007, 04:40 PM
for colorsafe areas use Vivid colorsafe bleach.... test it first, I ruined a carpet!! Use it straight, do not dilute. Poor it right onto the spot and let it dry. Do not blot up.

Elaine
18-01-2007, 08:34 PM
for colorsafe areas use Vivid colorsafe bleach.... test it first, I ruined a carpet!! Use it straight, do not dilute. Poor it right onto the spot and let it dry. Do not blot up.

I wouldnt use bleach of any kind. Cat pee and bleach both contain amonia therefore bleach would only attract the cat to pee in that spot again and again.

sunshine687
20-01-2007, 02:18 PM
I bought this recipe off ebay and it thought it worked well.

Using any plastic container mix the solution as follows:
16 oz. bottle hydrogen peroxide
1 teaspoon dishwashing liquid soap
1 tablespoon A & H baking soda

Mix well using a plastic spoon. If you have a large area or more than one area to clean you may want to use a bigger bowl and mix enough solution according to your needs. Once it is mixed put into your empty plastic bottle. Always discard unused portion because the oxygen in the peroxide mixed with these other items can make it explode.
Pour the solution evenly on the whole spot, making sure to saturate the carpet and the padding under the carpet (you may want to do a spot test on your carpet or furniture first, but it has never left a stain on anything I have used it on). Once the whole urine area is saturated block it off to keep people or your pets from walking on it until it is completely dry. Do not blot up any of the formula because the stains need to be saturated thoroughly and then dry on its own. After it has dried, vacuum spot to remove any white powder left over from the baking soda.

Kim
21-01-2007, 03:56 PM
I find this product excellent!
http://www.urine-off.co.uk/shop.html