PDA

View Full Version : How many cats have you got?

lindsey
26-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am just interested to know how many cats you have and whether you would get anymore?

I have 6 cats, all female along with 2 dogs. I took on two abandoned kittens this summer. One of the kittens was only 5 weeks old and dumped. She was found wandering. I had 4 cats and had rescued Alice my other kitten. When I went for her I saw Polly and fell in love with her. The lady who rehomes asked if I would take her and if so, the charity would waive the adoption fee and pay for her to be spayed. How could I not?!

People think I am mad having 6 cats but to be honest I dont really know I have them. They are all neutered, vaccd and wormed etc.

I have been in contact with a girl who homes cats in Lancashire and she sent me a pic of a little kitten. I would love to foster but I worry if 7 cats is too much.

yola
26-11-2006, 06:36 PM
I guess each person/household has their limit. I have 3 persians . . . not as high maintenance as you might think. I'd love more but not currently practical (2 small children, own business, living near main road meaning cats would have to be mainly indoors etc).

However if you feel that financially and emotionally/timewise you can take on another cat then why not?

Fran
26-11-2006, 06:41 PM
I have 7 cats :shock: 5 moggies and 2 pedigrees. I am hankering after another pedigree as I have now got the showing bug :roll: but I think hubby may put his foot down as we also have 3 dogs, a rabbit, a tortoise and a horse!

I'd say if you have enough space, finances and time then go for it...do let us know what you decide

Kazz
26-11-2006, 06:46 PM
I think if you have the room the money and another cat would fit into your household but more importantly you want another then go for it. Each persn has their own limit be it a self imposed limit or imposed due to the situation they live in.

Karen

Edited as I have one cat not two my apologises.

Moli
26-11-2006, 06:57 PM
I have 5 cats all boys....
3 dogs all girls...
2 budgies, and tropical fish.....
People think I am mad too!:roll: :lol:

smudgley
26-11-2006, 07:05 PM
I have 3 cats and a dog.:)
That's my limit, but only because I am very busy with work / family / Cats Protection etc.
I also foster rescue cats. (currently have 10, all inoutdoor pens)
If you have the room / time & very importantly the finaces to support another one.... go for it. :)

alexgirl73
26-11-2006, 07:39 PM
I have 3 cats. 2 boys, 1 semi-longhair tabby and 1 black and white shorthair, also a cream exotic shorthair girl! Broxi, Cooper and Teddie!

Mags
26-11-2006, 07:46 PM
Just the one cat here, Cassie:D

Kazz
26-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Forgot that bit, my cat is called Cleo.

Naomi
26-11-2006, 08:00 PM
I have 3 cats - Moli and Salt (the girls) and Timmy (the big girls blouse) lol

I also have a dog - 3 year old Tilly

This is my absolute limit at the moment, a number i can comfortably handle :D

Kim
26-11-2006, 10:20 PM
We have 4 cats, 1 pedigree and 3 moggys. We also have 1 dog, Caleb a greyhound x. This is our absolute limit as finances are stretched. I love them all though and they are all thoroughly spoilt!

Kazz
26-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Opps forgot to mention the dogs two Staffordshire bull terriers Sal 4 and Tess 2. Cleo is 24

dandysmom
26-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Right now just have the one, Leia, a blue torbie; am trying to entice a litle black homeless cat, very shy and scared of people, to join my household. Most I ever have had at one time is three; they're no more trouble than one. If you have the time and financial ability to take on another, why not?!!

Donna
26-11-2006, 11:09 PM
I have two female cats and two bunnies at the moment and that is enough as space and finances have run out!!

Sweet
27-11-2006, 09:26 AM
6 here.

Violet, Mau Mau, Vincent, Mabel, Misty and Jac x

Rosie
27-11-2006, 10:54 AM
I have Rosie (9) and Little Alfie (7 months) and also my beloved Holly (10 year old lurcher). I live in a very small cottage so that is more than enough.

charliebubs
27-11-2006, 12:38 PM
I have 5 at the mo, but have had 7 before!!! I don't really notice them either, but my house is covered in cat hair all the time!!!! lol!!!! Have to have a major de-hair session before having guests over!!!! :)

Luke
27-11-2006, 01:09 PM
2 Coventarian Moggies, 1 terrier, 1 english springer spaniel, 2 rabbits and a guinea-pig. Too me the number of pets overall are MORE than manageable, considering on a whole the gang is quite small, numerically. I would love more mogs in the future, maybe space for a colourpoint BSH or old style siamese too..and would have more springer spaniels too..sorry ive got sidetracked!!
Only you can say how many animals you can feel comfortable in owning and taking care of.

lindsey
27-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Thanks; as I say I am going to foster so I think the rescue will help with food.

It is so nice to hear that many people have multi cat households. Thanks for your repliesxx

Booktigger
27-11-2006, 03:23 PM
I do hope you start fostering, it really is wonderful - most rescues do ask that you keep them separate though, so you might want to think about how you would manage that (I have a spare room which is now the cat room), and food, litter and vets bills are normally covered, so money wouldn't be an issue. I currently have two permanent cats (tried 3 a couple of times, but something has always happened after a few months to knock me back down to 2, so am going to stick with 2), and I currently have 2 fosters, but the most I have had is 2 permanents and 4 fosters, which was hard work!!

CathyW
27-11-2006, 06:01 PM
twin brothers ronnie n reggie, both moggies black. and a very large hairy dog called ben rough collie cross, and all in an upstairs flat :) bit busy busy all live normally quite happily together LOL

lindsey
27-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Trouble is I know if a little kitten comes as a foster then it will probably stay as a permanent resident!! Thanks all the same thoughxxx

John
28-11-2006, 10:48 PM
I have one tortie cat named Millie..her son had to pts 2 years ago.I would like to have another cat ,but it would have to be ginger..have been to cat rescues several times but never any there..

john

Liz
29-11-2006, 09:56 PM
We have a large family - all 37 cats and 2 dogs comprising of

20 ferals ranging from 16 to 1 and from nice to shred you

16 Domestics ranginf from 21 to 1 all love pots

1 Rescue ragdoll - the clan cats posh totty

2 Dogs - a deaf border collie and a jack russell who thinks she is a cat!

We also foster and have a lovely lady coming to see us next week all about feral fostering - we do come fully equipped and have loads of space since moving including isolation wing!

All are loved and wanted, injected, id chipped, neutered, Program injections twice a year and we are devoted slaves who work full time, have mortgaged ourselves to the hilt so they have a wonderful home with space, no neighbours and parents can now never go on holiday!

Wouldn't swap it for the world!

tilly
30-11-2006, 10:03 AM
I have got two Buster and Tilly who are moggy x burmese and are blue and white in colour. They are brother and sister and are 9 years and 7 months old. I would love more but Tilly is a virus carrier and might not get on two well with the stress of a new cat. Also I wouldn't want to ruin there relation ship as they both get on very well. Also have stretch finances at the moment.

But if you have the time and the money for more go ahead the more the merrier.

Sally

Samz5
30-11-2006, 04:42 PM
I have 5 cats all moggies, 2 girls and 3 boys - 5 is our financial limit but we have another cat who's trying to move in, we've been feeding him for months and hes here eating and sleeping everyday, but I'm still trying to resist saying we have 6 cats. :roll:

Liz
01-12-2006, 12:44 AM
Technically you aren't paying the vets bills yet but number 6 appears to like the food and digs and the slaves that come with it so lets home number 6 is "home" for Christmas and beyond

dandysmom
01-12-2006, 03:07 AM
I suppse I actually have 1 1/2 cats now....Leia, my resident cat and a little very shy black stray that I've been feeding for about a month now....she hangs out in my side yard and is getting to come to be fed regularly now twice a day. Still won't let me pet her or get too close, but is much better than she was. Have put an old cat carrier out today with a soft blanket so she has somewhere sheltered from the cold and rain. Don't know if she's inspected it yet.....

kado
01-12-2006, 10:37 AM
I have 4 cats Kado 15months male he likes to go out.
Guinness 16months male he likes to sleep all day he goes out when he wants.
Simon 7and a half months male he his my baby.
Kay 6 and a half months she the boss of the house.
When my friends are away also look after 8 other cats as well. I would have more but we havent got the space and the other half won't let me.

Tom
02-12-2006, 01:41 AM
I have 7 cats :shock: 5 moggies and 2 pedigrees. I am hankering after another pedigree as I have now got the showing bug :roll: but I think hubby may put his foot down as we also have 3 dogs, a rabbit, a tortoise and a horse!

I'd say if you have enough space, finances and time then go for it...do let us know what you decide
As she said!! ;)