PDA

View Full Version : Being fussy...

Tanya
22-11-2006, 08:46 AM
When we first got Oli we were feeding him Whiskas kiten food in loaf. (we tried several biscuits but he didnt want them) He then decided he didnt like chicken and two of the four tins were chicken flavoured!

We then bought Whiskas kitten pouches in jelly which he seemed to love. He also began eating Royan Canin Kitten
34,which he loved and still does! Although he prefers meat!

But now, he has decided that he doesnt like turkey or chicken! We have realised he is a fish boy. So have now bought Felix kitten pouches in jelly (which looks horrible) - but we bought it because he enjoyed the free sample that was in the free kitten pack through the post. The first pouch of poultry he really enjoyed, but as he has worked his way through a box (of only 12 pouches!) he has decided that he doesnt like any poultry or plaice (fish!!)

I am really stumped as to what I should feed him. The kitten food doesnt come in individual tins or pouches, always in a packet.(minimum of 12 for pouches) At the moment, we are lucky if he will eat half the flavours in a packet!

Any suggestions?? Thankyou

Booktigger
22-11-2006, 08:49 AM
You can buy kitten food in packs of 4 pouches, but it is just one of each flavour. How old is he? maybe introducing adult food would be a good idea, there is a better choice of flavours then.

Tanya
22-11-2006, 08:53 AM
He is only 5 months, so i didnt really want to start giving him adult food yet! But if that is the only way forward, he is going to have to start eating adult food (with kitten biscuits!) :)

Booktigger
22-11-2006, 09:09 AM
If he is being fussy with kitten food, I would start introducing it, even if it is 25% adult, 75% kitten. My 5mo foster is on a mix of the two, I want her on kitten cos she is way over a month smaller for her age, but it gives her a runny bum on its own, so she has been on it for a month and I will find out tomorrow how she has done weight wise. She gets purely kitten dry though. But, cats have been brought up for decades without kitten food, so am not 100% sure how important it is.

IrishImp
22-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Hi,
I have had much the same problem with our kitten (who is also 5 months old), started out on whiskas kitten wet and dry and he got very fussy and then just refused to eat, often just licked the jelly or gravy and left the chunks.

We recently changed the dry food from whiskas to James WellBeloved kitten or Nutro kitten and he happily will eat either but I think he prefers the Nutro.

For the wet food , a bit like you we introduced the whiska kitten in loaf food and he loved it but again he got tired of them and was constantly pining after our food so we switched to the adult wet foods and he seems fairly content for now and a lot happier to have something he can sink his teeth into so to speak.

I was a bit wary too about taking him off the kitten food but I still feed him kitten dry so hopefully he gets enough nutrients from that. :)

dinahsmum
22-11-2006, 09:45 AM
My boys (7 months now) are on full adult diet.
I honestly don't think they will come to harm on adult food as long as it doesn't affect their tummies. After all, there was no such thing as kitten food once upon a time.
Mine have never been fussy but maybe that's having two .... each is terrified that their brother will nick their dinner :)

Fran
22-11-2006, 11:26 AM
My two kittens have Royal Canin kitten biscuits and adult meat. Try Natures Menu, it comes in pouches in adult and kitten, although I feed the adult to my kittens and they absolutely love it and one of my kittens is a very fussy eater..Good luck and let us know how you get on

Sweet
22-11-2006, 11:37 AM
This is sounding so familiar, when I bought Vincent and Mabels kitten pouches on Monday night - I thought to myself, I think they are bored with them, I too have tried the kitten loaf and again they got bored with it.

They love nicking the older cats food, they are 6 months now, perhaps I should switch them over? x

Rosie
22-11-2006, 01:18 PM
Get a dog! Rosie (9) and Alfie (6 months) have never been fussy eaters because they know if they leave anything they will go hungry until the next mealtime. However, Alfie has now taken charge of finishing everyone's left overs! He will eat absolutely anything (without adverse effect). He eats leftovers from Rosie and Holly the dog and anything left on my plate. The only thing he absolutely will not eat is corned beef for some reason. He seems to be thriving and his coat looks like black velvet.

Moli
22-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Some of the supermarkets sell pouches indivually, expensive way to buy, but at least you can get just what he likes...

Tanya
26-11-2006, 11:21 PM
I bought Oli Supermeat (from Lidl!!) on the weekend & he loves it. It has just as much goodness as Whiskas, but alot cheaper & loved by my little boy :)

alexgirl73
26-11-2006, 11:22 PM
At last, you've managed to find something he likes lol!

dandysmom
26-11-2006, 11:33 PM
My Dandy was seven weeks old when I got him, and he refused to eat kitten food...shoved the two adult females aside and gobbled theirs; and the girls adored the kitten food! Never bought him any more kitten food and he grew into a very healthy adult!

Moli
26-11-2006, 11:56 PM
Oliver and casper were the same, kept pinching the big boys food, so like DM gave up in the end and just let them have adult food!

Mags
27-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Cassie was only on kitten food for a week, it upset her tummy so the vet said to put her on adult food......