PDA

View Full Version : Help for friend with cat weeing on carpet

charliebubs
21-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Hiya,

A friend of mine is having a problem with one of her cats, Molly, weeing on her dining room carpet. I think it's behavioural, but it could also be medical as the cat has had cystitis before. I have suggested putting a litter tray down, which my friend has done, but to no avail. I've also suggested the Rescue Remedy in water and Feliway approaches, but these don't seem to be helping either.

Can anyone else please make a suggestion???

Here's an email from my friend today.......

Hi Charlie

I have had to now bring in the litter tray as although Molly was quite good for a few days, she started again yesterday, and there was a large wet spot. Unfortunately she also seems to have diarrhoea (I assume it is her as Amber does not seem to want to use the tray). Watching Molly closer she is definitely not keen on going out now so there seems to be some element of fear, but I am worried that she also has a medical problem. I think a visit to the vets is going to be essential now and hopefully they may give her some blood tests or something to try and pinpoint what is wrong with her. I have never had a cat that drinks so much water, and that makes me think of kidney disease, but I am probably overreacting. You know yourself as an owner that you start thinking all sorts of dreadful things when your cat is not right. I dread the thought of having to give her yet more medication after the cystitis treatment but the priority is to get her well.

Anyway I am grateful for the information you have given me. I am sorry to keep emailing you but there are not many people who like cats like us that are interested when you worried about your pet.

dinahsmum
21-11-2006, 03:10 PM
It sounds as though she needs veterinary assistance. :(
As well as that I guess she could try the Shirleys drops, which you add to the litter to make it attractive to them. I'll try to find the correct name/stockists and add it as an edit.
Otherwise, maybe clicker training, if your riend has time to watch her and reward her when she uses the litter tray?
Here you are - Sherley's Swiftie puppy/kitten trainer http://www.lamp-post.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CH1323

Elaine
21-11-2006, 07:41 PM
So sorry Charlie, I think as your friend says, its essential to get the poor cat to the vets in order to rule out any medical issues. If she is drinking alot of water, it would suggest that the issue may be more medical than behavioural. Let us know how she gets on at the vets please. xxx

Moli
21-11-2006, 11:08 PM
I agree with Elaine, she should see a vet....There could be something bothering her, something has given her a fright to make her behaviour change....