PDA

View Full Version : Flea treatments

catsinc4
21-11-2006, 12:28 AM
does any1 know the best treatment/prevention about?i have used spot on for years but on reading the link in the larvae post now im not so sure its any good?besides the fact it costs £30 for 6 which for 4 cats doesnt last long!all of mine were done 4 half weeks ago and yet i found a flea on 1 of them the other day!and it wasnt a dopey 1 either!!thankyou

catsinc4
22-11-2006, 11:18 PM
any ideas?

Mags
22-11-2006, 11:23 PM
I use Advantage or Frontline Spot On for Cassie......

dandysmom
22-11-2006, 11:30 PM
I used Advantage on my cats when they went outdoors and brought in fleas...my present girl is indoors only so not using anything; but the Advantage worked very well.

alexgirl73
22-11-2006, 11:30 PM
I have used the Johnsons 4fleas on mine and it was great to watch the little 'suckers' fall off them dead, but as mine are indoor only and the whole house was treated at the same time they suited me. Teddie gets Advocate at the moment for her worm and ear mite treatment as well.

smudgley
22-11-2006, 11:55 PM
I like Frontline spray. :cool:

whiskey
23-11-2006, 09:01 AM
http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/

i prefer to use frontline spot on its just easy to use you could try the link here it only costs £15.00 for 6
also frontline plus i think also kills the larvae :D

Fran
23-11-2006, 10:48 AM
I prefer Stronghold as it covers for ear mites too....

catsinc4
24-11-2006, 12:54 AM
wow thx for the link will save me a fortune

teenytiny
25-11-2006, 10:27 PM
I have used frontline on my 2 cats before, but on 2 occasions they still had fleas. I find that stronghold works much better for some reason and it also treats for worms and ear mites too.

catsinc4
25-11-2006, 11:31 PM
is stronghold only available from the vets?

smudgley
25-11-2006, 11:46 PM
is stronghold only available from the vets?

Yes it is a POM. Although so is Frontline ~ but that can be bought on-line :?

teenytiny
26-11-2006, 03:17 AM
Yes stronghold is only available from the vets, its about the same price as frontline but it works everytime with my animals ( I use it for my dogs too ) i rate it much higher than frontline, but thats just my personal opinion ;)

Fran
26-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Yes stronghold is only available from the vets, its about the same price as frontline

At our vets, Stronghold is considerably more expensive :?

Remember that it only treats for roundworms so if you decide to use it then your cat may (especially if he is allowed outside access) require treatment for tapeworm too..

dollie
06-02-2010, 05:05 PM
i have always used advocate spot on and kitty is an indoor cat but in the summer i put her on a leash and take her into the garden....i was told by my vet not to buy the flea treatment from the chemists or from pets stores as it doesnt work effectively....i would rather pay a bit extra and have something that worksthan a cat with fleas..

Kay
06-02-2010, 05:16 PM
I have just started using Program suspension. It isn't an adulticide, in that it doesn't kill the adult, like frontline and stronghold it is an insect inhibitor. It has to be given with a meal and works by stopping the eggs develope into the larvea stage when the adult fleas bite and take it in. Along with this I use capstar to kill any adult fleas. It seems to be working well.

I used to use Frontline Spot on but have found that it doesn't seem to be working very well at all anymore.

smudgley
06-02-2010, 05:20 PM
This thread is over 3 years old :-D I agree Kay, I think F/L S/O is rubbish now for both cats & dogs, very poor in my opinion. I think the F/L spray is ok.

Kay
06-02-2010, 05:26 PM
This thread is over 3 years old :-D I agree Kay, I think F/L S/O is rubbish now for both cats & dogs, very poor in my opinion. I think the F/L spray is ok.

Glad someone agrees with me I thought I was imagining it :shock:. The frontline spray isn't very good for Persians as it is very hard to get it right to the roots in their thick coats :roll:

Kay
06-02-2010, 05:28 PM
Doesn't really matter if it is over 3 years old though. Dollie is a newbie and obviously couldn't have commented on it previously. Lets face it fleas are always there!!!

Shelley123
06-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Its realy worth checking out the online dispensarys like people have said, it can save lots of money.
I but flea and worming treatments from the pet dispensary online, they are considerably cheaper than the vets and often do special deals.

Kay
07-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Totally agree Shelley. I never buy from my vets.....don't think I could afford to eat if I did!!!!

I regularly search the online vet med sites to get the best deal. Stronghold can be bought from some of these sites but you will need a prescription from your vet which they ave to give you but will charge you for it.

Shelley123
07-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Yes Kay,
when our Dog was on quite a bit of expensive medication, the online dispensaries were a life safer for us, we got prescriptions from the vets and were able to get his tablets at a least half the cost. Then the government struck and allowed vets to charge again for prescriptions. Our vets charge £8.00 per item and will only prescribe for 1 month, effectively they made it too expensive to order online. I found it interesting that once i bought the drugs from them again they could offer me 2 months.

Kay
07-02-2010, 03:58 PM
Yes Kay,
when our Dog was on quite a bit of expensive medication, the online dispensaries were a life safer for us, we got prescriptions from the vets and were able to get his tablets at a least half the cost. Then the government struck and allowed vets to charge again for prescriptions. Our vets charge £8.00 per item and will only prescribe for 1 month, effectively they made it too expensive to order online. I found it interesting that once i bought the drugs from them again they could offer me 2 months.

That sounds about right :roll:. And there I am thinking that vets had a vocation :shock:.

I have to say though I do have a good vet who doesn't jump down avenues that would bring her more money in and not really be any benefit for the pet but I now some many that do :roll:

pcspik
14-02-2010, 01:07 PM
I have to say though I do have a good vet who doesn't jump down avenues that would bring her more money in and not really be any benefit for the pet but I now some many that do :roll:

Yes, I have a good vet. Our vet has a detailed list on their website saying that how much out of every £1 every penny is spent on. Also in the past he has given me some stuff free (I had one betamox injection, Renalzin, and two teeth pulled out free because my cat was already underneath anthestic because of another reason.). It's only a small practice (4 vets),and although there is now 3 different vets practices closer it's worth the extra 10 mins down the bypass for it. If you are on a low income and don't qualify for PDSA (and have no insurance), then he will do the best to help you financially (as he is the partner in the practice) if the bill is fairly high, though if you don't pay then he will (and has done) take you to court!