PDA

View Full Version : Time, a battle no one can win

Kazz
19-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Summer has ended and Autumn is coming to a close. A certain elderly cat is getting less able every day I am sorry to have to say.
Cleo is slowing down. I went to the vets today - to provisionaly book the girls in to be spayed, I didn't take Cleo but did speak to the vet to tell him the time is approaching. I was fine but the vet had tears in his eyes and the receptionist (the one who loves Sal;and Sal adores as I think she is convinced the woman is made of treats:roll: ) was sadly in tears as I left.

As I write this, Cleo fast asleep behind me, she is eating well and enjoying life in the way she does, in herself she is well. Yet some days she just isn't - does that make sense? - she isn't ill or miserable (before any one jumps on me thinking she is) just simply not herself, time is not a battle we will win - the time for a descision is fast approaching me; too fast - simply too fast - but the descision I will make will err on the basis of "better a day too early, than for her to ever, ever, ever know even a fleeting moment of unease".

I thought I had better say as I fear I often give the impression she is galloping around like a youngster etc when in all honesty she is aging gracefully - well as gracefully as my old lady ever could.:roll: But for now she is a happy and contented ginger and white cat. Who I could with confidence enter in the "Purr for England" competition if ever there is such a thing.:-D

Jac
19-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Kazz
My heart is in my mouth, been there done it. You are right though "a day too early" You know your animals and will know when "it's" the time. My heart goes out to you. Not an easy desission but one done out of love. Bless xx

Mags
19-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Kazz, you are so brave on here.....how you talk about your darling Cleo, convincing us that the brave old girl will go on for a long time yet..........
But underneath you are watching her diligently, picking up on every sign, knowing that time is against her....

I know you will do what is right for her when you decide the time is right........
Enjoy every minute with your Duchess Kazz, she is priceless ((((hugs))))

dandysmom
19-11-2006, 10:36 PM
Oh Kazz, don't know what to say! I know you'll know when it's time, but I do hope it won't be too soon before you have to do that last loving act for her....love and lots of hugs to you both.....

yola
19-11-2006, 10:41 PM
Karen - you and Cleo have shared so much time together that only you will know when you have to do what you have to do. You are brave and honest and selfless and one day your beloved Cleo will thank you for your kindness.

I admire you and the love you have for your cat.

Kazz
19-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Kazz, you are so brave on here.....how you talk about your darling Cleo, convincing us that the brave old girl will go on for a long time yet..........
But underneath you are watching her diligently, picking up on every sign, knowing that time is against her....

I know you will do what is right for her when you decide the time is right........
Enjoy every minute with your Duchess Kazz, she is priceless ((((hugs))))

No disrespect Mags but she is no Dutchess, no princess, merely my cat. Albeit a ginger and white cat for whom I would willingly stop all the clocks if I could but if I did that how would I know if our best moments were yet to have come?
I thought the time when they were kittens was our best - yet it wasn't.:-D
Then the time we spent enjoying the "knife-edge life" as an owner of young adults - yet it wasn't.:-D
As mature moggies - I thought came close yet with hindsight it didn't.:-D
When they reached their senior years I thought this was it - yet it wasn't.:-D
And in their twilight - I really believed this was it. Yet it wasn't.:-D
When our number became merely two, I thought our time had passed. Yet it hadn't :-D
But now I know two is a good number and we are close to our best she and I. But not yet, not yet.:-D
So if I stopped the clocks for her how would I ever ever know.....if the best was still yet to come :-D and it may well be for our moment is now.

Take care Karen

borderdawn
19-11-2006, 11:03 PM
She's a grand old girl Kazz, and I think she'll be around a while yet.

Are your Vets open on a Sunday? could save emergency fees that!
Dawn.

Kazz
19-11-2006, 11:05 PM
Yes Dawn they are they are open 9-2 on Sunday and Saturdays no evening surgery but thats great.

Naomi
20-11-2006, 07:40 AM
She's a good age is Cleo but with age comes illness and heartache. When the time comes she'll let you know but for now enjoy her company :)

dinahsmum
20-11-2006, 09:55 AM
I am so glad you have had this glorious summer together Karen ...........
You are quite right to move your thoughts to the possibility/likelyhood of allowing Cleo to go gently, if her time is approaching.
Thinking of you today, and sniffing now. It's as if I actually know Cleo.
xxx

Moli
20-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Like DM, I feel as if I know Cleo, she is a big part of Catsey....
I am sure she will around for a good while yet...
You are one of the most selfless people I know Kazz, and you have taught me so much, I hope when the time comes for one of mine, I have your strenght!

Snoof
20-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Cleo's a lucky cat, Kazz - always has been.

alexgirl73
20-11-2006, 11:13 AM
You speak of your Cleo with such love Kazz that it has moved me to tears. I hope your girl is around for a long time yet, but if not then you will have so many wonderful memories to look back upon. Thinking of you x

Sweet
20-11-2006, 03:42 PM
((((((hugs)))))) x

smithdouglaswood
20-11-2006, 03:55 PM
There is never enough time, enjoy each day as it comes and make the most of it.

Thinking of you.

Angie and the gang

dinahsmum
20-11-2006, 04:19 PM
Been thinking about you today Kazz, as I've gone about my shopping etc. :( Hope you're feeling brighter and more optimistic about Cleo today. However, I think the fact you felt moved to make your announcement is significant ......
You take care, and be reassured that we all think you will know exactly if you have to step in. No-one could be closer to their cat than you are with Cleo.
xxx

Kim
20-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Time always creeps up too fast. Thinking of you and Cleo Kazz, I know you will make the right decision when the time comes. ((hugs))

Kazz
20-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Three words will have to surfice here where thousands could be written - Thank you all - Karen

Elaine
20-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Oh Kazz, am breaking my heart here, dont know what to say really but understand all too well.
All my love to you and yours xxx

whiskey
20-11-2006, 11:38 PM
im sure you will do the best by cleo as and when needs be but until then you will show her the love and affection she deserves.its always had to make that decision like that :( CLEO IS A VERY LUCKY CAT AND YOU ARE A VERY LUCKY PERSON TO HAVE A CAT SUCH AS CLEO:D

smudgley
20-11-2006, 11:47 PM
You have a wonderful relationship with Cleo.
We should all cherish every moment we spend with our cats.
As everyone has said you will know when the time comes, never an easy decision but you will know & only you will know, when that time comes.
Thinking about you & Cleo. x

{{hugs for Kazz & Cleo}}

Booktigger
24-11-2006, 01:33 PM
What an emotional post. Sadly, the title is all so true, but I think it is easier to accept when it is so gradual, and you have time to think about what will happen, rather than a sudden illness strike. I do hope that you have some more wonderful times together to come.