PDA

View Full Version : tortie shelter

alexgirl73
18-11-2006, 09:54 PM
I had to do something! As the weather has been worsening again over the last few days, OH and I decided we had to do something for 'our' little tortie girls. We can't have them in the house with our 3 and we can't let them in the shed as it's too crowded so we made them a shelter outside our back door:oops: The girls have a little plastic table that they got during the summer from Tesco, so we put that there with an old heavy duvet cover that was bound for a charity shop over the top of it so it completely covers all 4 sides. Then I put an old pet basket I had in side it with some old towels to line it. And I've put food and water in side it. We did this 2 nights ago, the first night Splodge (sorry for the names) slept in it and last night she brought Stripe! I went out earlier and they both shot out to say hello to me. I went on a website which told me how to how to build a cat igloo with two polystyrene fish containers, so will be off to the local fishmonger on monday to build a proper one. I know it's not the best thing to do, but as I can't find anyone to rehome them, I couldn't just let them freeze.

Smudgley do you know of any organisations round here that will neuter them free of charge as they a re feral?

dandysmom
18-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Alex, what a great thing for you to do, as otherwise they'd have no shelter whatsoever! That's what my neighbor and friend Carolyn did last winter for the stray little black cat, the one I'm calling Onyx; she put a large cardboard box under her front porch wrapped in heavy plastic and lined it with warm blankets...Onyx made it through the winter OK! Are Splodge and Stripe too feral to be adopted?

smudgley
18-11-2006, 10:27 PM
The lady I asked about your kitten, never got back to me - so I pressume she doesn't want to take her on. :(

I would neuter them for you through Cats Protection if you were local (but I can only speak for the branch I'm involved with) in other words I can't say for sure that your local branch would, but I'm sure they will if you explain. try them, if not try Cat action trust or RSPCA.

yola
18-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Bless you Alex. I'm sure someone will help you with the neutering . . . all the ferals round here seem to have disappeared; I've stopped leaving food out as nobody came to eat it :(

Booktigger
18-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Cat77's website has a list of the branches somewhere - there are only 10 around the country though, so dont know if there will be one near you. www.cat77.org.uk (http://www.cat77.org.uk) Have also pmd you

smudgley
18-11-2006, 11:10 PM
Cat77's website has a list of the branches somewhere - there are only 10 around the country though, so dont know if there will be one near you. www.cat77.org.uk (http://www.cat77.org.uk) Have also pmd you

Alex - your nearest Cat action trust (cat77) is Bewdley.

alexgirl73
18-11-2006, 11:37 PM
Where the heck is Bewdley? Remember I'm Scottish and have only ventured as far as Wolverhampton on occasion, lol.

dinahsmum
19-11-2006, 11:32 AM
That sounds quite a nice cosy little den.
Hope they don't need it for too long though.

Mags
19-11-2006, 12:27 PM
What a lovely thoughtful thing to do for the kittens Alex!:cool: I'm sure they appreciate your kindness......:D

Sweet
20-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Aww bless them, I bet they will be all cozy comfy now x

Moli
20-11-2006, 11:25 PM
Sounds just perfect Alex, they will be warm and safe in there..
Our local CPL gives vouchers for neutering, have ou one near you?

alexgirl73
20-11-2006, 11:54 PM
The CPL gives vouchers but it is only for part of the neutering, doesn't cover the whole cost.

smudgley
20-11-2006, 11:57 PM
The CPL gives vouchers but it is only for part of the neutering, doesn't cover the whole cost.
It covers most of it though Alex, it only leaves a small bit to pay. But if you tell them they are stray cats that you are feeding they will do them for you without any cost I'm sure.

alexgirl73
20-11-2006, 11:58 PM
I will give them a call, thanks smudgley!

Moli
21-11-2006, 12:00 AM
The CPL paid for neutering and blood testing Chancer, because he was a stray...:D