PDA

View Full Version : Thought it couldn't get worse but.....

charliebubs
18-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Abi (mother of the 5 kittens that died) isn't very well now.

She hasn't really been herself since the births and c-section last Saturday. She hasn't really been eating much, but she has been drinking fine.

Since the last kitten died though she seems to have gone downhill. She's eating even less and seems to have caught a cold too. We went to the vets on Thursday and she was given a painkiller shot and an antibiotic shot and synulox tablets to take twice a day thereafter.

Yesterday morning she seemed to have picked up a bit and was eating a small amount (I've been trying to feed her a/d - which she will eat small amounts of by licking it off my hand, she won't eat it from the bowl though) but then last night she seemed really sick again, very lethargic and sneezing a lot.

She sneezed a lot throughout the night (quite snotty sneezes) and was sick in the early hours of this morning which was just like phlegm or bile.

When I got up this morning I also noticed that she had been pulling fur out of her tail.

I called the vets as soon as they opened this morning and took her down. They ran some blood tests and the main things (FIV and FELV) came back negative. She has a low blood count though and high glucose. They have kept her in and put her on a drip to try and get her re-hydrated and they are also going to give her some antibiotics by IV.

I just feel so helpless again. I really want to do everything I can to help her. I don't know if cats get depression after losing their babies? but if this is the case, how can I help her feel better?

I know she's in the best place for her at the moment, but any advice would be great please.

thanks,
Charlie
x

EmmaG
18-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Oh Charlie I am so sorry to hear about Abi, perhaps when you get her home just spend some time with her making a fuss of her. Poor little girl :(

Fran
18-11-2006, 02:15 PM
Oh I am so terribly sorry to hear this :( At least she is in the best place and they will do all they can for her. As Emma has said lots of love and cuddles when she comes home should help. Fingers crossed for her. Please let us know how she is later on x

alexgirl73
18-11-2006, 02:16 PM
So sorry to hear this Charlie. I think Emmas right, maybe having lost her kittens she just needs an extra lot of loving. I hope she picks up soon! (((hugs)))

Mags
18-11-2006, 02:25 PM
So sorry to hear Abi isn't so good Charlie ......... she is in the best place and they will do everything they can for her. Give her plenty of love and cuddles when she comes home ((((hugs))))

dinahsmum
18-11-2006, 02:36 PM
I hope Abi turns the corner and comes home to you fit to enjoy her life properly.
Maybe Feliway to help her 'chill' and forget her trauma once she's home?

Moli
18-11-2006, 06:44 PM
So sorry to hear about Abi, hope she starts to recover soon...Thoughts and Hugs with you....

Sweet
18-11-2006, 06:45 PM
((((((hugs)))))) to you and Abi x

Donna
18-11-2006, 07:14 PM
I hope Abi feels better soon. What a bad time you are both having ((hugs)).

Booktigger
18-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Fingers crossed for her. Cats can get depressed, and a good tip is to give her a stuffed toy as a 'surrogate'. Plus the usual extra love, and try and keep her eating.

dandysmom
18-11-2006, 09:44 PM
Oh such bad news now, on top of the loss of the kittens!. She probably is depressed; when she gets home, lots of fusses and coax her with her favorite goodies to get her eating properly, bless her! hope she's back home soon; keep us posted; will be thinking of you!

yola
18-11-2006, 10:49 PM
Charlie - I'm so sorry to hear Abi's not well :( I hope it's just depression and you/vet can help her through it . . . however, what if she does have some illness that wasn't picked up? Is that possible? Could it have transmitted to the kittens resulting in their deaths? Just a thought . . .

But I do so hope she picks up . . . {{{hugs}}}

catsinc4
18-11-2006, 10:50 PM
im sorry i hope she gets better

Elaine
18-11-2006, 10:56 PM
I am so sorry Charlie, I was gonna mention that sneezing can also be an indication of dehydration.
The poor girls hormones must be all over the place after all she has been through. Hopefully the extra fluids will help build her up a bit and make her feel more like eating again. Have everything crossed for her and am sending you big hugs xxx

smithdouglaswood
19-11-2006, 12:05 PM
I am sorry to hear your news, she is in the best place, fingers crossed x

Mags
19-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Have you heard how Abi is this morning Charlie?

charliebubs
19-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Hi guys, Thanks for all your kind words and support. She certainly will be getting lots of love and cuddles when she comes home..........not that she hasn't been getting that already though!! :)

The vet called me this morning and said that she seems a little brighter today, although still snuffly. They had managed to get her to eat a small amount too and seemed to be quite positive. They wanted to keep her in for another night and another 24 hours of IV fluids and then they're going to re-do her blood test in the morning and see how her blood count and glucose are. That should determine whether or not they are a problem, or just a result of her feeling so down.

She was due to have her stitches out tomorrow too, but they're going to leave that a few more days. Apparently her wound is a little puffy and hasn't perhaps healed as well as it should have done - probably as a result of her being poorly and not really eating.

I went out yesterday and stocked up on all her fave food and goodies so that I can try and tempt her with something when she comes home, which hopefully will be tomorrow.

I'll keep you posted.

Charlie

Elaine
19-11-2006, 07:26 PM
Fingers crossed she is alot better tomorrow and back home with you for all those cuddles. xxx

Fran
19-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Oh what a relief that there is some improvement in her condition :D I have everything crossed that she will be home with you tomorrow x

alexgirl73
19-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Same goes for me! Looking forward to hearing that she's home.

whiskey
19-11-2006, 07:41 PM
glad things are looking up for your little girl.:D :D

candyshandy
19-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Fingers crossed she continues to improve

xx

Mags
19-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Glad to hear there has been some improvement - hope she will be well enough to come home soon......

Sweet
19-11-2006, 08:06 PM
I am glad to read she is getting better ((((((hugs)))))) x

dandysmom
19-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Sounds encourging; do hope she'll be home ASAP!!

Booktigger
19-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Fingers still crossed for her.

charliebubs
20-11-2006, 07:58 PM
She's home!!!!!!

I was able to go and collect her this aftenoon. She seems a bit brighter although she is now FULL of cold. She was a bit snuffly and sneezy before and now she's really congested. Bless her little heart, her breathing is quite snotty and she smells like she has phlegm (if you know what I mean? like a sick child)

She has come home with some antibiotics and they have taken her stitches out.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can use as a decongestant for cats??? I don't suppose Vicks Vapor-rub is a good idea!!!! lol

xxx

Elaine
20-11-2006, 08:04 PM
So pleased she is home again Charlie, so sorry she has a cold though. Hope she is the picture of health again in no time xxx

Moli
20-11-2006, 08:04 PM
So pleased to hear she is home, she will recover quicker being back with her mum...:D

Mags
20-11-2006, 08:10 PM
So pleased she is back home where she belongs - lots of loving from her Mum and she'll soon feel better ;)

alexgirl73
20-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Great to hear she's home. Bet you spoil her rotten for the next wee while.

dandysmom
20-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Glad she's home! Sorry. never heard of decongestant for a cat, did you ask the vet? Poor baby, she's ben through a rough time!

Fran
20-11-2006, 09:57 PM
So pleased that she is home!!

Not sure about decongestants but as you may know Porsha has been quite unwell with rhinitis and we have followed our vets advice re putting her in a cat carrier and placing a steaming hot bowl of water just outside the door with a towel placed over (You could perhaps try adding menthol or eucylptus to the water?). The steam does seem to help. You could even put her in the bathroom with you whilst you have a shower. i hope she continues to improve x

charliebubs
20-11-2006, 11:00 PM
So pleased that she is home!!

Not sure about decongestants but as you may know Porsha has been quite unwell with rhinitis and we have followed our vets advice re putting her in a cat carrier and placing a steaming hot bowl of water just outside the door with a towel placed over (You could perhaps try adding menthol or eucylptus to the water?). The steam does seem to help. You could even put her in the bathroom with you whilst you have a shower. i hope she continues to improve x

Funnily enough Fran I've just read something in a book about doing that, but is was an American book and I wasn't sure if it sounded cruel. I did put a drop of eucylptus essential oil into a mug of boiling water and placed it near her earlier, but it didn't seem to do much. The steam all disappeared into the air.

I think I'll give it a go in a carrier then. She seems so blocked up bless her.

I think she's definitely pleased to be home though. She's followed me everywhere this afternoon!!! :)

xx