PDA

View Full Version : spinal trauma

catsinc4
16-11-2006, 11:27 PM
hi im new here but a dogsey member for about a year,i have a 14 week old kitten called roxxi that ive had from 6 weeks old.i came home on monday to discover she cant stay upright:( as she walks her back end swings around and her legs give way.i took her to the vets who suggested a trauma(think she fell off the high bunk bed?) gave her anti inflamm injec and tablets to give her,no better:( took her back today another injec with a steroid this time and more tabs and go back monday.i go to the pdsa and they have told me they dont do spinal surgery and the outlook is bleak:( but i have done a little research and it seems there might be hope,she might gain use of the 1 leg that is the prob if the swelling goes down or just with time.vets say highly unlikely a fracture as there is no pain and she can feel her back paws ok.very upset as u can imagine plus its my 6yr old daughters kitten!im just after any advice or personnal experience etc etc.:) thankyou very much every1

borderdawn
16-11-2006, 11:29 PM
Poor little thing. Dont give up on her, these things take time, if she's trying to walk and seems not in pain, just give it time. i would try to rest her, maybe a dog crate would be a good idea.
Dawn.

catsinc4
16-11-2006, 11:32 PM
i hadnt thought of that quite where id put it in my little place tho i dont know.it is difficult to rest a kitten though isnt it lol.i left the vets tonight very downhearted but i guess the use of 3 legs would be better than nothing!the other back seems to have response when the vet put weight on it .maybe there's hope!!

borderdawn
16-11-2006, 11:32 PM
Id say there was definate hope.
Dawn.

alexgirl73
16-11-2006, 11:33 PM
I think Dawns idea is a good one, she needs to be kept resting as much as possible (obviously difficult with a kitten). Hope the injections help her and that she recovers soon.

alexgirl73
16-11-2006, 11:33 PM
And remember that many cats can cope very well with only the use of 3 legs.

Fran
16-11-2006, 11:34 PM
Hi...I'm sorry to hear this. Years ago I had a cat that lost use of her tail one evening and screamed in pain. The vet X-rayed and said that she had a slipped disc and that time would heal and she may or may not regain use of it. I penned her and kept her quiet for several weeks and surely but slowly she did regain use of her tail. I would say that if she has sensation in her feet then the outlook sounds good. Once the inflammation has settled, hopefully, she should start to be very much better and on the road to recovery. Do let us know how she progresses x

catsinc4
16-11-2006, 11:38 PM
thankyou!!i needed to hear that so much.how do i u/l a pic of her from photo bucket?ive forgotten

Mags
16-11-2006, 11:42 PM
thankyou!!i needed to hear that so much.how do i u/l a pic of her from photo bucket?ive forgotten
Here's the link to how to post your pics ;)

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=8195

Fran
16-11-2006, 11:43 PM

Copy and paste the IMG code into your post :D

catsinc4
16-11-2006, 11:44 PM
here shttp://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/catsinc3/roxximidsept06.jpghe is aged about 7 weeks grown a bit since then!

Sweet
17-11-2006, 09:20 AM
She is one gorgeous bundle of fluff - hope she gets well soon ((((((hugs)))))) x

dinahsmum
17-11-2006, 10:05 AM
Not quite the same but years ago we had a dog who suddenly lost the use of her back legs. We were never quite sure why but thought maybe she had struck her neck/spine on a table edge whilst jumping from a chair. It was a long time ago and I can't remember what vet treatment she had - not a lot, I know, it just wasn't done then. Anyway, it took about 2 weeks but she eventually regained use, strength and full facilities. She was never incontinent but had to be 'held over' like a baby to perform outside during her paralysis period.
The advice about keeping kitty in a crate is good.
Good luck.

Booktigger
17-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Fingers crossed for her - I would give her cage rest and see if she can get better - I think if it is nerve damage, then it isn't too good, but you wouldn't know till any swelling had gone - have the vets suggested anything like Metacam? Dont know if you can use it in kittens, but that is what I was given for my adult when she had swelling. She is now three legged and can manage fine, so if it does come to that, then it isn't too bad.

random
17-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Has she been x - rayed? I think the crate is a good idea deffinately, sounds like a spinal trauma, dachshunds often get similar symptoms when they hurt their backs by jumping off things, e.t.c but obviously you'd expect a cat to be more resiliant. Going by this though hopefully it's just muscle damage and will heal with rest.

catsinc4
17-11-2006, 11:32 PM
hi all and thankyou!update:she is taking prednisolone half am +pm she seems less wobbly today can walk if she goes slowly!tail is sticking out horizontaly and very stiff while doing so tho,if she tries to move too quickly she falls.i can borrow a crate but i must admit i feel a bit mean shutting a kitten up,but if it will help i will.if she only had 3 legs i think she would cope better as she couldnt go to use the wobbly side??the other 3 arent happy as im having to lock them out when im not in,as she will try and follow them through the cat flap otherwise, and binka cant be locked in,as he will pee anywhere and everywhere!the slightest change and he does that,like having the cat basket in the hall on monday!!

alexgirl73
17-11-2006, 11:36 PM
good to hear that she's improving! Sounds like you have your hands full with the other 3 though, lol.

Booktigger
17-11-2006, 11:58 PM
I think you do need to cage her - yes, it isn't pleasant for a kitten, but this needs sorting asap, or she could end up with issues for the rest of her life. Good luck

Fran
18-11-2006, 12:04 AM
Sounds like things are improving a little..but I do think a crate would be a good idea at least in the short term. Fingers crossed here for more improvement soon x

catsinc4
18-11-2006, 10:52 PM
picking up the crate tomorrow

catsinc4
21-11-2006, 12:33 AM
hello been to the vets again today,saw a diff vet and she was lovely!!she said roxxi's placement reaction was better and she is confident it is nerve damage which will take a while to heal,although in her favour she is a kitten and developing rapidly!she prescribed cage rest for 2 weeks!and more of the tablets she is taking now and to revisit in 2 weeks.she told me she can come out of the cage for 5 mins daily just for fuss no playing!!but she did say that was for my benefit not roxxi's!!!!!guilt factor!so hopefully fingers crossed we will see an improvement sooner rather than later!can i thank u all for your helpfull advice and words of understanding!!thankyou

Mags
21-11-2006, 12:35 AM
That is good news!! Hopefully she will recover with plenty of rest.....:)

Moli
21-11-2006, 12:41 AM
Brilliant news, keep us updated....She is a real little cutie...

borderdawn
21-11-2006, 03:48 PM
Great news, told you so, these kittens are fantastic little healers.
Dawn.

charliebubs
21-11-2006, 03:51 PM
That's great news. She looks like a little madam!! I'm sure that cage rest and lots of quiet time will have her back on her feet (lol) in no time!!! :)

Booktigger
21-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Aww, fingers crossed.

alexgirl73
21-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Great to hear that there is a good prognosis!

Elaine
21-11-2006, 07:35 PM
I am pleased to hear that she is improving and wish her a very speedy recovery. Please tickle her little chin for me xxx

whiskey
21-11-2006, 07:54 PM
thats brilliant news i have my fingers crossed for your little baby.:D

catsinc4
21-11-2006, 11:27 PM
well she is well n truly sulking lol.i put her in with all essentials after digging up the paper for 5 mins then trying to dig out of the bottom of the litter tray she ate then went to sleep!Tia the older kitten discovered her paw fits throught the cage and she can grab roxxi's food!!!omg she is such a naughty cat!roxxi has pretty much slept since i put her in no meowing sratching etc!!amazing!only worry i have is that she will turn into a not cuddly kitten when she comes out as she has been without proper human contact for all that time???

Fran
21-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Brilliiant news!! I have everything crossed here for her full recovery x

Moli
21-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Think you will find, she wants loads of cuddles when she comes out...

Booktigger
22-11-2006, 08:44 AM
If you give her enough affection while she is in the cage, then she should be fine. With Pebbles, i used to sit in front of the cage so she couldn't get out, and stroke her etc. You could also ask the vet if you are allowed to let her sit on your knee for 5 mins.

catsinc4
22-11-2006, 11:15 PM
lol the vet said she could come out for 5 minutes to ease my guilt did that today and all she wanted to do was run and play no cuddles!!:( she isnt so happy in there today has been climbing up the sides letting go etc deff!!NOT good for a bad back!!if u sit by the cage you get her paws come out to swipe you!playing but still not exactly cuddly

catsinc4
22-11-2006, 11:17 PM
1 thing i have noticed is that her appetite has grown 3 fold!!!i guess she not in a rush to finish now and go and see what else is going on lol

alexgirl73
22-11-2006, 11:18 PM
aaww bless! She'll be back to normal in no time by the sounds of things, lol!

catsinc4
24-11-2006, 12:56 AM
well wot a silly cat!!there is 1 and only 1 piece of wire mising tiny hole and i hear her screaming and there she is sitting on the top!!having squeezed herself through it!!a guinea pig would have to squeeze!!!so now she has hurt her leg aswell!!!!putting weight on it but gingerly she hurt herself!!!even in a cage she wont rest:(

Sweet
24-11-2006, 09:04 AM
Awww bless her ((((((hugs)))))) x

Booktigger
24-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Oh dear!!!

catsinc4
24-11-2006, 03:42 PM
dopey cat is walking on her leg better today but lots more subdued!but on a plus she is eating for 3!!i covered the gap with card and so far no attempts to remove it.hopefully she will remember it hurt!!

Mags
24-11-2006, 04:30 PM
So glad she didn't damage her leg too badly, that's the last thing you need right now! :roll::lol:

alexgirl73
24-11-2006, 10:19 PM
You're gonna have trouble with this one, lol!!

catsinc4
25-11-2006, 01:20 AM
lol dont i know it!!trouble wiv capital T right from the start!

catsinc4
28-11-2006, 12:05 AM
:(well a week on and she is no better!just more miserable!and to add to the woes lena isnt well,her eyelids are coming across and i think she has got a sore throat.

catsinc4
09-12-2006, 11:53 PM
well we went back to the vets not much improvement really then,she was so stressed in the cage towards the end covering hr food bowl in cat litter etc the vet said treat her like a normal cat and she just needs time and muscles building back up.since then she is walking ina straight line!still wobbly running but she is happy and is getting better

Fran
10-12-2006, 12:00 AM
Sounds very promising!! Hope her recovery continues x

Mags
10-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Sounds good, pleased to hear there is an improvememnt......:D

Elaine
10-12-2006, 06:55 PM
Bless her xxx, glad to read about her improvments, keep us posted and give her ickle chin a tickle from me please. xxx

alexgirl73
10-12-2006, 09:57 PM
glad to hear there is improvement, and that the prognosis is good. x

catsinc4
12-12-2006, 09:28 PM
she wants to be out all the time but she cant run bless but she can do the cat flap perfectly unlike tia who still cant do it a year on lol