PDA

View Full Version : Naughty kitten...

Tanya
15-11-2006, 05:08 PM
Oli keeps jumping on the kitchen worktops. My mind would be at ease of we taught him to stay off!! The reason im worried is because dopey Oli jumped on the cooker the other day when i was cooking tea. :roll: As a result, his paw landed in my boiling sauce, so i had to hold his paw under the tap! To prevent this from happening again, i would like to stop him from going on the worktops.

At the moment we tell im off and put him on the floor. But this doesnt really work! Any suggestions?

Thankyou

Tanya

dinahsmum
15-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Try a water pistol/squirty bottle.
Don't let him see it's you, if you can help it - just let it be cause and effect. He jumps on the surface/he gets a squirt of cold water :shock: . No speaking, no shushing, no pushing him down, just up, splash, ugh, down.
Hopefully it shouldn't take too long, especially if you can be very consistent and get him every time.
Good luck

Mags
15-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Cassie used to be terrible for jumping up on the worktops when she was small........ I used to say a firm NO! and clap my hands once, very loud... and say DOWN. It took a while but she did learn.......

Good luck!

borderdawn
15-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Its a pet hate of mine, Cats on worktops! If mine try to do it as babes, I hiss at them and clap my hands, usually works and is not repeated after a couple of attempts. I will say I dont go towards the Cat, the noise is enough, you wouldnt want the Cat to associate you with nasty noises.
Dawn.

alexgirl73
15-11-2006, 08:44 PM
Unforunately I had to teach my Broxi to go on to the worktops as when his food was on the floor our dog used to eat it and the only safe place to put it was on the kitchen windowsill via the worktop. Our dog is no longer here but the food is still there, lol.

Fran
15-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Some good advice already given! Good luck with this and let us know how you get on :)

Tanya
15-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone.Im off to town tomorrow to buy a squirty bottle thing! Hopefully that will work.

I will let you know how we get along :)

Moli
16-11-2006, 12:00 AM
I did the same as Dawn, and it has worked a treat...

Tanya
17-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Oli jumped up on the worktop today and I squirted him with some water. Ive never seen him move off it so fast! He hasnt attempted to get back up there yet, but if he does, i will be waiting (with the squirty bottle!!) ;)

catsinc4
22-11-2006, 11:20 PM
lol glad it worked for you.with roxxi it doesnt she must be the only cat who doesnt mind water!!ive had to shower her twice before once when she fell in the mop bucket and the other after an accident!both times she didnt even kick up a fuss!!weird kitten!!lol