PDA

View Full Version : The last kitten has died too

charliebubs
15-11-2006, 03:21 PM
I don't really understand how or why, but the last kitten of Abi's litter died at 4 o'clock this morning. He seemed to be doing so well. He was suckling really enthusiastically and Abi was being a really good mum to him. He was wriggly and sqeeky and everything you think a healthy 3 day old kitten should be, but when I got up to check at half three this morning he looked as though he had had a nose-bleed and he was struggling to breathe. I made him warm (even though he wasn't cold) and rang the emergency vets, who said that they couldn't really do anything. She said to give him 15 mins and if he was still fighting for himself after that, then she would let me take him in and see what he could do. She said that we couldn't fight for him unless he was fighting for himself.
Sadly he died in my hands while Abi sat next to me. I think she realised before I did that he wasn't going to make it. She had been licking him and trying to help him initially, but then she walked away and sat a few steps away watching.
I took his little body into my vets this morning to be cremated and they said that the nose-bleed was probably something to do with his blood pressure and that he must have had internal problems, as the whole litter must have had.
I think that both Abi and I have had a very hard and upsetting week. I'm focusing on just getting her well again now and there is no doubt that I shall be keeping her after we've shared this ordeal. :)

Thanks again for all on here for your kind words and help. I have really appreciated the support.

Charlie
xxx

Kay
15-11-2006, 03:26 PM
So sorry to hear the sad news. It is absolutely heartbreaking when there is nothing you can do. I can totally sympathise with you as Jilly had 6 babies this year and 5 died within the first 4 days. Luckily I still have Ruby. Keep your chin up and if you need a chat just pm me. Thinking of you and Abi.

Love Kay. xx

Fran
15-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Oh no :( I am so very sorry to hear this :( Sometimes nature seems so very cruel doesn't it? You have had a very rough week and have used every resource you have to cope - so well done you! Get yourself some rest and then you and Abi can support each other to get through this ordeal. Time will be a great healer for both of you.

Thinking of you {{{Hugs}}} x

charliebubs
15-11-2006, 03:37 PM
It does seem so cruel and so unfair. Poor Abi :cry:

Just when she had learnt how to be a good mum too.

I know that logically nature knows best, but at the moment I feel so physically and emotionally drained......nature sucks!

xx

dinahsmum
15-11-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm so sorry.
Life is hard sometimes.
Hope you and Abi can give each other some mutual support.

Naomi
15-11-2006, 04:19 PM
Oh I'm so sorry to hear that the 2nd kitten has died :(

Donna
15-11-2006, 04:44 PM
I am so sorry to hear this news. I hope you and Abi can comfort each other x

Mags
15-11-2006, 05:00 PM
I'm so, so sorry to hear this...:(

Life can be so cruel Charlie but you have done your very best throughout.....

((((hugs)))) to you and Abi......

kado
15-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Ive been following you and Abi story its brough tears to my eyes. Thinking of you and abi
from jane & my gang

smithdouglaswood
15-11-2006, 05:56 PM
So sorry to hear your news Charlie, poor Abi.

Life does suck at times, quite a lot of times actually.

Angie and the gang

Moli
15-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Sorry to hear such sad news...Hugs to you and Abi.... xx

alexgirl73
15-11-2006, 08:11 PM
So sorry Charlie! I hope that you and Abi manage to comfort each other over the next while and that you take great comfort in knowing that you gave them all the best chance possible. I'm sure Abi appreciates it so much.

RIP little babies.

dandysmom
15-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Very sad to hear this, Charlie; hassn't been easy for you and Abi. Hugs to you both.

Sweet
16-11-2006, 09:38 AM
I am so sorry to read this....((((((hugs))))))

R.I.P. Little Ones x x x

Elaine
16-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Oh Charlie, I am so very sorry xxx Big hugs to you chum xxx Lots of cuddles for Abi xxxx.
R.I.P. Little one xxx

yola
16-11-2006, 01:56 PM
I'm sorry to read this. I've had limited Catsey time over the last few days so have missed the story but I'm so very sorry that you and Abi have had to suffer this loss.

Hugs to you both.

Booktigger
17-11-2006, 10:14 AM
I am so very sorry to hear this, it must have been an awful experience, sadly something that seems to be happening rather too much this year. I am glad you are keeping Abi, and she is lucky that she will be spayed and not have to go through anything like this again. RIP babies.

ellenlouise
17-11-2006, 01:17 PM
I am so very sorry.

How is mummy cat doing?

I hope her grief is finished soon and is easy for her. I am sorry for you as well you took on such a brave thing. It just wasn't the kittens time.