PDA

View Full Version : One kitten still not suckling mum

charliebubs
14-11-2006, 12:47 PM
Hey all,

Just a quick update......Abi is doing really well as a mother now and her instincts seem to have really kicked in, which is fantastic.

However, one of the kittens still isn't feeding well - not from mum or even by me handfeeding. The other one is doing really, really well - suckling from mum and drinking loads!

We all went to the vets yesterday for a check up. Abi was given a painkiller following her ceasarian and the poorly kitten was given sub-q fluids. The vet said that he may not make the night as he was quite dehydrated and seemed to have given up...........but he has made the night!!! Yippee!!!!! He has drank more overnight than ever before and has weed and pood, so it's looking much better today.

I still can't get him to feed from mum yet, but he will now suckle a bit on the teat of the bottle and eat a small amount at a time.

Fingers crossed for him.

:)
xx
(how can I post a pic on here of mum and babies?)

smudgley
14-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the update.
Sounds like the little one has been struggling. If he's very dehydrated would the vet give you a couple of syringes & some saline so you could give him some S/C fluids if nec. Or if he's not too bad, what about some lectade rehydration fluid orally via syringe or bottle just to build him up a bit. I've seen very young poorly pups on deaths door when dehydrated - yet they seem to spring back to life with lectade. (plenty of!);)

Mags
14-11-2006, 03:31 PM
Fingers crossed here for the little one Charlie, I hope he picks up very soon.....

This link will explain how to post your pics onto Catsey ..... ;)

http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=8195

Sweet
14-11-2006, 03:57 PM
It will be great to see pics x

charliebubs
14-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the update.
Sounds like the little one has been struggling. If he's very dehydrated would the vet give you a couple of syringes & some saline so you could give him some S/C fluids if nec. Or if he's not too bad, what about some lectade rehydration fluid orally via syringe or bottle just to build him up a bit. I've seen very young poorly pups on deaths door when dehydrated - yet they seem to spring back to life with lectade. (plenty of!);)

Hi - what is lectade and where do I get it?? I did read somewhere about a glucose solution that may help bring on appetite and build him up. Is it the same kind of thing?

He's not looking too good again now and has had an upset tummy. We're going back to the vets in an hour or so for another check up. I'll ask if I can have some sub-q fluids to administer at home.

thanks again guys.
xxxx

smudgley
14-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Lectate is a rehydration fluid, that will give him fluids & also build up his strength. You'd need to get it from the vet.

charliebubs
14-11-2006, 09:10 PM
I'm afraid to say that the little one didn't make it. He seemed to have a really rapid decline. I rushed him to the vets as soon as I realised he had taken a turn for the worst, but unfortunately he died in the car on the way there. I'm having him cremated.
I feel totally, totally gutted. I know that it's nature's way and there was probably something underlying wrong with him - but I can't really think about it logically. I tried so hard to save him and do the best for him and I'm so upset that I haven't been able to. Poor little man.
:(

charliebubs
14-11-2006, 09:18 PM
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o89/charliebubs/th_2days3.jpg

charliebubs
14-11-2006, 09:19 PM
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o89/charliebubs/th_babies3.jpg

Luke
14-11-2006, 09:19 PM
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o89/charliebubs/th_2days3.jpg

Very sweet-i had no idea they were siamese kittens.
So very sorry for the loss of the lil one.:(:(:(

dandysmom
14-11-2006, 09:58 PM
Awww, sorry the little one didn't make it; you tried your best. Mum looks lovely; I didd't realize they were Siamese either. The remaining kit should thrive with all Abi's milk and attention! Have you decided on a name yet...boy or girl; probably early to tell.

alexgirl73
14-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Sympathies Charlie! It must be so upsetting to have lost this little one, you gave it you're very best shot though! I'm sure Abi's remaining kitten will thrive under both yours and Abis loving attention.

Elaine
14-11-2006, 10:03 PM
So very sorry to read the news about one of the kittens Charlie. PLease take some comfort from knowing you did all you could to help the poor little mite.
Big hugs to you, Abi and the kitten xxx

Mags
14-11-2006, 10:22 PM
So very sorry the little one lost his fight Charlie :( You did your very best for him and it just wasn't to be:( ((((hugs))))

Booktigger
14-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Aww, I am so sorry. i wish that stories like this could be given to Joe Public to make them realise the heartache that can go with letting their cats have that 'one litter'

whiskey
14-11-2006, 10:26 PM
im so sorry the little babe didnt make it:( .im sure you did everything you could for him but it just wasnt ment to be:( .now mummy cat can focus of the stonger kitten:D

smudgley
14-11-2006, 11:20 PM
Sorry to hear the little one didn't make it. You did all you could - you could do no more.

Now you need to focus on that happy little bundle of fun that you have & look after that lovely mommy too.

Naomi
15-11-2006, 07:08 AM
Sorry to hear the little one didn't make it :(

Focus on the remaining kitten and Abi

Sweet
15-11-2006, 09:01 AM
I know its hard to understand the "whys" at the mo, treasure Mum Cat and treasure her baby ((((((hugs)))))) to you all x

Fran
15-11-2006, 09:05 AM
I am so sorry to read this :( Don't beat yourself up, you did the very best you could and more. Siamese kittens are notoriously difficult and latching on seems to be quite a problem. Even the experienced Siamese breeders loose babies due to this problem. So give yourself a pat on the back that you have one lovely kitten to cherish x

tilly
15-11-2006, 12:57 PM
Sorry to hear that the little kitten didn't make it you did all you could for him.
Hope Abi andthe other kitten are OK. They look gorgeous in the picture

Sally