PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant cat?

alexgirl73
14-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Not sure if this is in the correct section or not, but anyway! My friend has been adopted by a beautiful jet black young lady. She has been coming to their door for the last few weeks but has now moved in lock, stock and barrel, lol! She is a lovely little thing, very friendly. My friend kept an eye out for lost cat posters etc, but nothing, and the cat shows no inclination to leave. When I saw her today, I noticed that her tummy was quite firm feeling with a little swelling and that she has quite prominent teats. I'm hoping that sh'e not pregnant, but never having known a cat in this condition I said to my friend I would check on here to see if anyone can give me some advice. What are the signs to look out for in pregnancy and if she is what care should my friend be giving her? Thanks guys.:D

charliebubs
14-11-2006, 12:41 PM
If she's looking noticably pregnant and has "pinked up" then she must be at least 6 weeks gone I would think.

In the next week or so she should be fed kitten food, rather than adult food, as it contains better nutrients for queens.

Apart from that, just provide her with a cardboard box or something she can use as a nest when the time comes and perhaps take her to the vets for a check that she looks healthy.

It's also a good idea to worm and de-flea and this can be done safely even though she's pregnant.

Good luck to your friend!!!!

:)

Fran
14-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Hi Alex, pink shiny teats are a sure give away but if she has had a litter already, then it's harder to tell as the teats always remain a little larger than normal anyhow. A slightly rounded tummy could indicate pregnancy but could also be a sign of a wormy tummy. There are also some medical conditions which can cause a swollen tummy. If she is pregnant, then towards the end of her pregnancy she will need feeding a good quality kitten food. She will also want to find somewhere to 'nest' and have the kittens. So somewhere quiet away from the hustle bustle of the rest of the house is probably where she will be looking. I'd recommend that your friend gets her checked over by a vet if she is planning to keep her and then she will have a clearer picture whether the cat is healthy and possibly pregnant.

smudgley
14-11-2006, 01:00 PM
I would think a trip to the vets to confirm one way or another would be a good idea. :) She probably is pregnant, but as Fran said other things can cause a swollen abdomen including F.I.P :( or heavy worm infestation.

Sweet
14-11-2006, 04:11 PM
I cannot offer any help but to say keep us posted on any news x

dinahsmum
14-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Alex - everyone sems pretty sure there's going to be the pitter-patter of tiny paws. Would it be a good idea for your friend to contact Cats Protection now, to let them know she may need them? Maybe not; there may only be one or two kittens that she can keep or rehome herself but maybe there will be lots. The shelters get full with late kittens and xmas throw outs (:( ) at this time of year .... might be good to look/book ahead?
Good luck to her, anyway.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_22_18.gif

alexgirl73
14-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Thanks everyone! I won't see her again until tomorrow so will pass on the advice then. I now PAH Companion care vets do a new client free vet health check, so will suggest that she gives them a call. Hopefully she just needs a good dose of wormer, lol!