PDA

View Full Version : Very poorly puss

sammy
13-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new here but am so worried about one of my cats, and wondered if anyone here has experienced anything similar.

Mizzie, who is 5, went off her food around the middle of last week and became very subdued, hiding under the bed etc. We took her to the vet on Friday and she had a very high temperature, so the vet treated her for an infection (antibiotics and anti-inflammatory jabs and tablets). She wasn't vomiting, no diarrheoa or anything. On Saturday morning we found something we can only assume she'd vomited - it looked like a partially solidified mouse, and a small amount of blood. We have seen her eat whole mice, so assumed it may have been stuck inside her somewhere and had set up the infection.

Saturday evening, Sunday morning she seemed to go rapidly downhill, very dopey, could hardly walk properly and had even stopped drinking water, let alone eating. Our vet has an emergency surgery on Sunday mornings so we took her, and though her temperature had returned to normal, the vet thought her tummy was painful so gave her a morphine jab hoping she would pick up if she wasn't in pain.

She didn't. In fact she got worse. So bad, I actually wondered if she'd still be alive when we got up this morning. She was, but now she was hyper-sensitive to the slightest sound, recoiling in fear and jumping around as if delirious. I don't think she even knew who we were as we tried to calm and comfort her. Rushed her straight to the vet who said this could be a reaction to poison. She's been admitted and put on sedatives and a drip, and had bloods taken which we are waiting for the results from.

I know realistically I have to wait, but wondered if anyone here has experienced anything similar and could offer me any grains of hope. It was absolutely awful seeing her like that, and I'm so worried I'm going to lose her.

Sorry this was such a long post:cry:

alexgirl73
13-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Sammy, I haven't experienced this myself, or know of anyone who has. I hope someone else on here might be able to give you some advice and words of comfort, but as for me, I hope and pray your furry baby will pull through and recover very quickly (((hugs))) to you and your cat.

yola
13-11-2006, 11:02 PM
Hello - sorry you're joining us under such worrying circumstances.

My first thought when reading your post was poison, even before I got to the bit when you mention it. Not sure what else it might be; I'm hoping someone else with more direct experience might be able to help. However, I do really hope Mizzie pulls through - it must be unspeakably worrying for you.

Mags
13-11-2006, 11:02 PM
How awful for Mizzie :( I haven't experienced anything like that with my cat but just wanted you know that I am thinking of you and Mizzie, I really hope the vet can help her (((hugs)))

dinahsmum
13-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Oh Sammy - how very worrying for you.
Well, she is at the vet and sounds like she is getting the best treatment possible. It does sound a bit like poison doesn't it - strange behaviour etc.
Haven't any direct experience. However, I thought I was going to lose my oldie earlier this year but a period of hospitalisation and that magic drip set her right. It wasn't poison - but she was really ill.
We'll all wish her well - Catsey power of thought can work wonders.
(((hugs))) to you. There will be someone here to talk to almost all hours of the day and night.

Moli
13-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Hi Sammy, I have not experienced anything like this either, hope Mizzie starts to revover soon...Hugs to you both... x

Donna
13-11-2006, 11:08 PM
I hope your vet can find out what is wrong and get Mizzie well again. She is in the best place to get better.

smudgley
13-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Hi. I too thought of poison when I first started to read your post, but it could be one of many things.
Be positive, your cat is in good hands & hopefully your vet will make her better.

sammy
13-11-2006, 11:20 PM
Thank you all so much for your replies. It really does mean so much to be among people who understand. I know some people just don't get it when you become so upset about your cat, but I can see that you all do.

Does anyone know what will happen if it is poison? Do you think she'll recover?

Elaine
13-11-2006, 11:32 PM
Oh Sammy I am so sorry to read this. I have no experience of poisoning I'm afraid. My thoughts are with you and Mizzi. I have everything crossed for her and wish her a very speedy recovery xxx

Kazz
13-11-2006, 11:37 PM
No experience of poision. I do hope it turns out for the best though, take care Karen

dandysmom
13-11-2006, 11:38 PM
How horrible for you and Mizzie! Praying that the vet will sort this out & that she's soon be well on the road to recovery and back home with you~! (((hugs))

smudgley
13-11-2006, 11:40 PM
If it is poison, then the severity of the effects depends on what & how much she has eaten.

tilly
14-11-2006, 12:35 AM
very sorry to hear that iMizzie is ill hope that she get better soon. Sorry but I don't have any experience of those sympton but poisoning sounds likely.
Sally

Fran
14-11-2006, 06:58 AM
I am so sorry to hear that Mizzie is so poorly. I do not have any experience of poisoning in cats but do believe the symptoms can be as you have described. Please let us know how she is. Fingers crossed here for her x

Booktigger
14-11-2006, 08:44 AM
i have no experience of poisoning, but am keeping my fingers crossed for her.

dinahsmum
14-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Hoping she's made it through the night and will make further improvements today

Ruthlynn
14-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Hope Mizzie had a comfortable night.....sending hugs.

sammy
14-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Thank you all for your kind wishes and support. I will come back here with an update when I have spoken to the vet.

whiskey
14-11-2006, 02:02 PM
i have everything crossed for poor mizzie:D

Donna
14-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Fingers crossed for you today x

Samz5
14-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Hope she feels better soon - Fingers crossed here too

Sweet
14-11-2006, 04:04 PM
I am only just seeing this...

((((((hugs)))))) to you both, really hope Mizzie makes a speedy full recovery.

Fingers and paws crossed here x

sammy
14-11-2006, 04:46 PM
No real news yet folks. She's much the same, but at least she's still in there fighting. The other blood results should come in tomorrow so maybe they'll reveal something. Am trying really hard to be optimistic, but it's not easy.:cry:

Thanks again for all your kind messages, it's much appreciated.

dinahsmum
14-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Poor Sammy - this must be so awful for you.
I think it's good that she is hanging in there ... if it is poison, as long as the vets can keep all her organs going, I think time should allow her to get it out of her body.
We all tend to pessimism when our pets are ill, and there's no doubt Mizzie is very ill, but they are remarkably resilient. She has youth and vigour on her side.
Try not to do too much internet searching ..... it can throw up some really alarming cases.
We're still all pulling for you and Mizzie. x

Mags
14-11-2006, 07:02 PM
I really hope Mizzie pulls through this ........ ((((hugs)))) to you both.......

EmmaG
14-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Sorry to hear about your post Sammy, my vet told me once the two main causes of a high temperature are poison or cancer. If it is poison she might not have induced enough to actually kill her. Try and stay positive.... (((hugs)))

smithdouglaswood
14-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Sorry to hear your news Sammy, hope you get some positive news with the blood test tomorrow.

Best wishes
Angie and the gang

dandysmom
14-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Think it's hopeful that she's hanging in there; sending good vibes!

Booktigger
14-11-2006, 10:15 PM
I am keeping my fingers crossed.

alexgirl73
14-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Sending good wishes to you!

Moli
14-11-2006, 11:01 PM
Sending good healing vibes............xx

Fran
14-11-2006, 11:07 PM
Everything crossed here x

borderdawn
14-11-2006, 11:10 PM
Crossing everything here too.
Dawn.

sammy
15-11-2006, 12:30 AM
I know I've only just 'met' you all, but it really does help to have your support, and to know other people are thinking of us. Hopefully I will have some news tomorrow, I will let you all know. The vet doesn't think it's rat poison by the way, could be slug pellets or some other chemical. Obviously we don't use anything like that, but as for the neighbours, I don't know. Going to ask them tomorrow as they were out today - not to accuse them you understand, but we have new neighbours who have been doing alot of renovations. There are alot of cans of paint and stuff on their patio, so who knows? They are friendly enough anyway, so it can't hurt.

I think my other Tortie is missing her now, she is her little playmate.

Thanks again for all your messages, you're all really kind.

smudgley
15-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Any news today?

sammy
15-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Hi Smudgley,

She was much the same this morning I'm afraid. They didn't have the blood test results yet, so I am waiting for the vet to ring me if they come in today. They are going to try an appetite stimulant to try and get her to eat, failing that they will syringe food into her mouth (I tried that without too much success!)

Neighbours must be away, but having had a closer look over the fence, there seems to be alot of herbicides there, so I am wondering if that is the culprit. Have also done a bit of research on the internet - dangerous I know - but one particular chemical does seem to fit her symptoms. If I'm right the prognosis is usually good. I'm going to suggest this to the vet when she rings.

Fingers crossed, and I'll come back when I have more news.

Sammy.x

alexgirl73
15-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Thinking of you both Sammy. The good news is that she's hanging on in there. She obviously has a lot of fighting spirit.

smudgley
15-11-2006, 02:51 PM
I'm thinking of you too. She does seem to be a little fighter. I reckon this time next week she'll be back to her normal old self & wondering what all the fuss was about.:)

Kay
15-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Have only just come back to this site. I do hope you have good news from the vet later today. Thinking of you both.

Kay.

Fran
15-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Still got everything crossed here for her x

Donna
15-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Fingers crossed here still x

sammy
16-11-2006, 11:47 AM
I'm very sorry to tell you all that my poor baby had to be put to sleep last night. She had starting fitting uncontrollably and despite the vets best efforts they couldn't stop it. In the end it was kinder to let her go.

I am heartbroken. She was such a happy little soul who always brought a smile to my face, I shall miss her terribly. :cry:

Fran
16-11-2006, 12:44 PM
Oh Sammy :( I am so very very sorry to read this news :( {{{Big hugs to you}}} x

RIP Mizzie, run free at the bridge little girl x

smudgley
16-11-2006, 01:41 PM
I'm so sorry to read this.
{{{hugs}}}
it sounds like nothing more could be done for your baby. I'm really sorry.

dinahsmum
16-11-2006, 01:44 PM
Oh Sammy I am so sorry to hear this - you did everything you could.
At least be reasured that there is no more pain or fear for Mizzie.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/16/16_4_10.gif

yola
16-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Oh Sammy - I'm so very sorry. Mizzie will one day thank you for that final act of kindness you afforded her. Bless you.

RIP Mizzie :cry:

Elaine
16-11-2006, 01:56 PM
So very sorry Sammy, big hugs to you at this sad time xxx
R.I.P Mizzi, you were loved very much xxx

Mags
16-11-2006, 02:51 PM
Oh Sammy, I'm so, so sorry to hear this :( You did all that you could for Mizzie and now she is free from her pain....... {{{{hugs}}}}

RIP little girl.....run free...xx

Samz5
16-11-2006, 03:11 PM
I'm so sorry Sammy, you did everything you could for her. :(
RIP Mizzie

EmmaG
16-11-2006, 07:33 PM
So so sorry to hear this..... RIP little girl :(

alexgirl73
16-11-2006, 07:41 PM
I am so sorry to hear your sad news Sammy:cry: I don't know what to say to offer any comfort except that you have done the best thing for Mizzie and that she is free from any pain.

RIP Mizzie, run free forever.

dandysmom
16-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Oh Sammy, words can't help. but I'm so sorry to hear this. Poor Mizzie, but she's out of pain now and you and your vet did all you could....(((hugs))).....:cry:

tilly
16-11-2006, 10:39 PM
Sorry to hear about your lost you fought so hard for her. Hope you are not too bad a hug is on its way.
Sally

Booktigger
17-11-2006, 10:09 AM
I am so very sorry to hear this, you gave her a chance, and was able to give her that final kindness, it truly does mean a lot. RIP little one.

sammy
17-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Just wanted to thank you all for your kind messages, it's nice to know there are so many lovely people out there.

It's going to take me a while to get over this, never thought I'd lose her so young, she still acted like a baby. Really miss her charging around the place, as does her playmate Bubble.

Once I've had chance to grieve, I will come back and post pics of my two remaining babies, Des and Bubble.

Thanks again for all your support,
Sammy.x

Mags
17-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Sammy, we understand how hard your loss is to bear at the moment, take as long as you need to grieve. We'll look forward to you returning here when you feel up to it.....
Take care (((((hugs)))))

dinahsmum
17-11-2006, 04:13 PM
Once I've had chance to grieve, I will come back and post pics of my two remaining babies, Des and Bubble.
We'd like that, when you're ready
Take care x