PDA

View Full Version : HELP - need your advice everyone - decision needed

Sweet
12-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Background info.

My ex. husband has two rescue cats, he rescued them when he moved away to Bedfordshire so he would have company so to speak.

For a while now hes been thinking, hes a teacher, out alot, etc. etc. that they need to be rehomed to a loving caring environment who would give them the love they both deserve. Both females, he thinks around 12 yrs of age.

Decision Time.

He has asked whether I would rehome them...now I know at a drop of a hat - yes I would, so far....Ive had pics of the Black girlie - Jack (Jacqueline) and Misty the Grey girlie is out and about and not able to have her pic taken as yet! Jack has already tugged my heart strings.....

Question.

I couldnt bear to see them go back into Rescue, like the poem posted a few days back re. older cats, people will go straight past and not consider them both.

Would they be rehomed together? if I said no.

6 Cats here, would all be loved the same, but is that too many?

How would Violet, Mau Mau, Vincent and Mabel react?

HELP.

Julie x

Kazz
12-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Okay as you already have 4 have you ever had problems introducing the newcomers to the exsisting cats?

Sweet
12-11-2006, 08:51 PM
No Kazz, Mau Mau (my rescue) can be a bit tempremental at times, like all ladies LOL but mostly all ok x

Kazz
12-11-2006, 08:56 PM
In that case why not give it a go at you'll know you tried and if 6 isn't to many for you then why not?

dandysmom
12-11-2006, 09:04 PM
My opinion also. If they fit in, fine! If not, you can do your best to rehome them, preferably together. It's so sad that too many people overlook the oldies...and twelve really isn't ll that old with cats increased life span these days...good luck whatever you decide :D

Naomi
12-11-2006, 09:06 PM
You can but try Sweet. You'll always find enough love to go round ;)

Kazz
12-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Nope 12 is but a youngster.

Mags
12-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Right........

1) You've admitted that you would love to have them, so that is no problem....

2) Your present cats all seem to get on alright, even when you introduced Vincent and Mabel......

3) Can you afford to keep two more cats?

4) What does the rest of the family think?

5) Would it upset you if they were rehomed separately?

If you can give positive answers then I would say give it a go, at least you can give them a trial period to see how it would work out....
Good luck whatever your decision;)

alexgirl73
12-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Sweet, I think you have already made your decision really! They have already stolen your heart, so I would say go for it. And if it doesn't work out, then at least you have given them a chance to be together.

smudgley
12-11-2006, 09:36 PM
If you can finacially support 6 cats - then phone that ex hubby & get them here right away :shock:

seriously - go for it,what have you got to loose. Have them on a trial basis on the understanding that they can stay if they get on with your gang.:cool:

Sweet
12-11-2006, 10:07 PM
It is tugging at my heart strings big time, has been ever since I got the call.

Do not think I could say no without giving it a try like you all say.

I will speak with him tomorrow and keep you all posted....Thank You x x x

Kazz
12-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Hope all goes well for you all.

smudgley
12-11-2006, 10:12 PM
Tomorrow :shock:

NOW!:cool:

(only kidding, I'm just excited)

Mags
12-11-2006, 10:17 PM
Go for it Sweet! ;)

tilly
12-11-2006, 10:19 PM
I agree with everyone give it a try. Hope it goes well can't wait to hear more

Sally

Fran
12-11-2006, 10:29 PM
What a decision :? I have 7 cats, 2 of which do not get on with any other cats :shock: But I find ways round it and I love them all equally. The only thing I would say to you is, consider the financial implications of keeping 6 cats, 6 worming tablets and flea treatments alone is an enormous bill without considering vaccinations and unexpected vet bills. Good luck with what you decide and keep us informed x

yola
12-11-2006, 10:35 PM
Julie - you've received some wonderful advice here . . . go with your heart on that basis that your budget will allow it.

Would love to hear what you decide :D

Sweet
12-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Thank you again all - Ive taken some pics of my family tonight just about to upload and post, not sure if I will sleep tonight :roll: heads buzzing x

Kazz
12-11-2006, 10:38 PM
I agree as long as you can afford it and think carefuly - sometimes you can let your heart rule your head - would your ex consider "paying their keep" or for vets bills etc.

Kim
12-11-2006, 11:16 PM
I was wondering that too Kazz, surely he wouldn't mind contributing financially? If finances work out okay, then I would say go for it. I have intrduced many cats into our household and after the initial spats they seem to sort themselves out. Some get on better than others, but no real problems. Let us know what you decide.

Booktigger
13-11-2006, 08:23 AM
If you can afford it, and have enough space and time for 6, go for it.

dinahsmum
13-11-2006, 09:48 AM
People have pretty well covered it. I think your ex should contribute to vet bills but as long as you can accept the additional food bills - and your neighbours won't go crazy over 2 more cats (it might upset ultra-keen gardeners or bird-watchers) give it a try.
If it doesn't work you could try a private rehoming direct from your place, where you'd get to meet prospective adopters.

PS. In all honesty, I don't think 2 adult cats together in a familiar cosy home, with enough food and with some (even not a lot of) human company should be quite content. Is your ex just tired of them?
Maybe I'm poking my nose in there, so I'll quickly withdraw it!

Rosie
13-11-2006, 11:11 AM
PS. In all honesty, I don't think 2 adult cats together in a familiar cosy home, with enough food and with some (even not a lot of) human company should be quite content. Is your ex just tired of them?
Maybe I'm poking my nose in there, so I'll quickly withdraw it!

My thoughts too. I have never had any trouble leaving the cats as long as they were fed and had access to the outdoors (being inside/outside cats). The dog on the other hand completely different.

Liz
13-11-2006, 08:17 PM
I hope you followed your heart and said yes, they are still relatively young and probaly will be greatful and no bother.

I don't regret keeping a 16.y.o feral tortie lady who in 15 months has had her teeth out, been neutered, had a flea aleergy clearup, become not so queen of her own place and is now an old slobberchops and seeks us out, loves her own bed, food on tap - quite rotund now sort of a long haired tortie rugby ball with a leg on each corner!

She went to the vet on Saturday and we did have a discussion about her weight and our new vets said she is hale and hearty and once she realises the food will always be there she might slow down and diet a bit!

Good luck and they sound wonderful!

dandysmom
13-11-2006, 08:48 PM
I hope you followed your heart and said yes, they are still relatively young and probaly will be greatful and no bother.

I don't regret keeping a 16.y.o feral tortie lady who in 15 months has had her teeth out, been neutered, had a flea aleergy clearup, become not so queen of her own place and is now an old slobberchops and seeks us out, loves her own bed, food on tap - quite rotund now sort of a long haired tortie rugby ball with a leg on each corner!

She went to the vet on Saturday and we did have a discussion about her weight and our new vets said she is hale and hearty and once she realises the food will always be there she might slow down and diet a bit!

Good luck and they sound wonderful! Not sure if I go along with that bit about knowing food will always be there; my Misty was a little stray and to the time she died at 19 1/2, she always reacted "Food! I remember when there was no food!! Eat it!" She was only about 3 months when I got her, and she always acted as if there may be a day when there was no food....she was a short quite plump little girl. Still miss her.

Sweet
14-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Sorry I was not around yesterday....

I am still no further along with my decision.

My ex. said he pays around £20 per month insurance, which he will now pay to the children who will then give it straight to me to pay for them :? :? silly co*k eyed way me thinks :? . Why cannot he just give it straight to me or pay it as an extra. Words failed me.

He knows I am a real softie when it comes to Cats/Kittens and I will really be unhappy if I know they have had to go into Rescue, maybe hes playing on this? Yep, me thinks your right, hes using the excuse of work etc.... because hes tired of them and now moved on with his life and no longer perhaps needs the company.

The kids really want them - I feel rotten if I say no but on the other hand am I right in saying yes.

God, this is hard!

Julie x