PDA

View Full Version : thomas's gums are sore

binza
10-11-2006, 10:33 PM
thomas as started losing his baby teethe , one was hanging off so i had to lever it off for him because he wasnt very happy with it hanging about. i notice all his gums are very red . With the other kittens i had ,i never knew they had lost any and never had any problems with them. i think he is in a bit of discomfort when eating etc, he is on soft foods not crunchies, is there anything i can do to help the poor mite or give him.
tracy

alexgirl73
10-11-2006, 10:35 PM
not really sure tracy, perhaps giving him crunchies might help him, as they might act as a sort of teethin ring. Sorry I cant be of more help, I've never had this problem either.

binza
10-11-2006, 10:44 PM
hi alex.
thanks for reply this is a new one on me as well he asnt eaten a great deal today i think because they are sore , he gave us a fright yesterday cause he just flipped thought he was having a fit but realised it was is teeth .normally they dont have much prob with them but for some reason he is , so he's not to happy at the mo, ive actually got one of his teeth to keep ive kept all my dogs baby teeth but never expected to have one of a cat. lol:-D
how is teddie getting on hope she is feeling much better.
fingers crossed for you both x
tracy

alexgirl73
10-11-2006, 10:51 PM
Teddie is doing ok so far, just got to see how she goes over the next few days.
I've just googled this, one site said to get a small towel and tie a knot in it. Wet it, wring it out and put it in the freezer to chill. Kittens love to chew on this as it acts like a teething toy for babies. It's worth a try.

binza
10-11-2006, 10:55 PM
oh ta good idea worth a try hes into chewing mode at the mo hands especially, ill give it a go see how he gets on.
cheers
thinking of teddie too
tracy

dinahsmum
11-11-2006, 01:55 PM
As I scrolled down the replies the only thing I could think of was the 'frozen cloth' thing Alex has mentioned, which is supposed to work for dogs. However, I wonder if a cat would just chew, without there being food involved?
You could offer him an ice cube (mine have fun chasing them round the kitchen floor) - he might find that biting it, after he's played with it, gives some relief.
Maybe make up some stock, or something fishy and wet, and freeze it in ice cube trays? He'd probably go for that.

I'd say keep an eye, just in case he has a gum infection rather than just teething.
Good luck

binza
11-11-2006, 02:39 PM
thanks for that dm will give it a try , if he is still having probs over the next few days i will take him to the vets , i have noticed when he's eating he's making this crunching noise it doesnt sound like his jaw it sounds more like teeth now wether there all loosening up and making that sound im not sure but i think i will make an appoint to be on the safe side.
tracy