PDA

View Full Version : Bunny advice please

Elaine
09-11-2006, 09:22 PM
Can any one give me a bit of advice please.
There is a bunny at work that I am trying to give some one to one attention to as some stupid begger hurt her and now she charges at people and has bitten a couple of times.
I have been trying to give her a bit of attention every few hours to try to regain her trust etc by talking stroking, giving treats and cuddling when ever she will let me pick her up. Its the whole picking up thing she really hates since the idiot mentioned earlier had pulled her back legs. Have managed to check her all over and it seem that the most damage has been done to her confidence with people.
Wondered if any one could give me some bunny behaviour advice. I also wonder if some of the charging isnt territorial behaiour?
Thanx in advance.

Donna
09-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Not sure about territorial behaviour. I know females are more territorial. And more so if they are not speyed.

I also know A LOT of bunnies do not like being picked up. Especially if they remember being hurt in the process.

Can you try to regain the bunny's trust by playing and stroking at his/her level and not pick him/her up?

Try a nice nose rub. My bunny has learnt that this is really nice and comes forward more if I stop for a second!!

Hope this helps.

Elaine
09-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Thanx Donna, because of the cage design, its better if we can pick her up and put her in a run so we can clean the cage. I love to see her play in her run and it seems really sad that because of whats happened she is not getting alot of time in the run and we are cleaning the cage with her still in it. I dont pick her up often and tend to sit on the floor beside her, she does already like having her little twitchy nose rubbed. When I give her some fruit or veg she grabs it from me and looks at me like, "what took you so long". She is gorgous really, and if it wasnt for the Diva and Bernie and us being in a flat, I'd have her in a minute. I would love to find her an ideal home with people who knew how to respect and treat her but unfortunately the pet shop industry attracts people who want nice cuddly little bunnies for their kids.
I may start asking around to try to find her a nice home and out of the shop, even if I pay for her to go.

Elaine
09-11-2006, 10:35 PM
How much would it cost to have her speyed?

Donna
09-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Poor little bunny. She has had a fright. Try putting a towel over her so her eyes are covered and try picking her up that way. She might not struggle so much and be calmer.

Pets Shops are the culprits for so many rabbits in rescues. Impulse purchases for whinging kids. Two months later the kids dont wanna know and the parents cant be bothered to go out in to the garden to clean the hutch out.

I am going on Saturday to a Rescue Centre to find a "wife" for my male bunny. He was neutered recently.

Donna
09-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Hmm rabbits are quite expensive in comparison to cats. My male rabbit has just cost £52. Females are more expensive. I think my vet charges £65 for a female.

Elaine
09-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Shame you didnt live closer Donna, I'd deliver my beautifull Belinda Bunny to you, just so she could have a happy, loved life. She is gorgous and I just know that in the right hands she would be an absolute darling.
I am so in the wrong job, I am terrible with people. Actually I am very good with people, people who are animal lovers and have respect for animals. I fall out with people who come in with the kids and treat the place like a creche or people who come in with boisterous dogs off the lead who then make a b-line for the bunny cages. I am always telling people off. Polish woman came in yesterday and asked me about declawing her cat or some sort of spray to stop it scratching the wall paper. She hadnt even bought it a scratch post! Was quite stern with her but she left the shop with scratching posts and cat nip powder.

Donna
09-11-2006, 10:50 PM
I wish I could help. But I know just going to a pet shop to buy a rabbit is encouraging those people that call themselves "breeders". They get paid to let their poor animals constantly get pregnant and the more people that buy from pet shops then the more these poor bunnies end up in rescue.

I could never work in a pet shop. I hate going in pet shops that have animals in there.

I wish I could help with Belinda Bunny but the distance is great and the timescale is all wrong. I need to find a companion for Pickle the Bunny as I feel it is wrong for him to be a solitary bunny. To this end I am seeking a bunny that is already speyed and ready for her forever home.

I hope Belinda Bunny finds a lovely home. And do you know bunnys make great house (or flat) pets!!

Elaine
09-11-2006, 10:58 PM
I hope Belinda Bunny finds a lovely home. And do you know bunnys make great house (or flat) pets!!

I am sure they do but would the Diva want to share the flat with her:roll:
Thanx for all you help and advice Donna.

Donna
09-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Well after reading my threads about Chloe's stress with Pickle the Bunny being indoors for two weeks, then maybe not.

I hope you manage to build her confidence so that her new owners can enjoy her lots x

Elaine
20-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Just wanted to let you all know that bunny is getting along just fine. Have made quite a few changes at work regards her handling etc and its really made a big difference. She has such a fantastic personality and I'd really love to be able to take her home myself. She no longer charges and bites but she does snatch her apples and carrots from me:lol: . I love her to bits. I take her walkies on a harness and she thoroughly enjoys it. She adores having her back scratched and falls into a sleepy trance when I stroke her twitchy little nose for long enough.
Keep your fingers crossed as I may have found her the perfect home.

Mags
20-11-2006, 11:02 PM
So pleased to hear that she is now a happy bunny Elaine....... :D

Moli
20-11-2006, 11:02 PM
Hope it works out for her Elaine, you have worked wonders with her...:)

Elaine
20-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Thankyou Moli. I am doing muy best to make improvements but I know the petshop industry is alot of ****. No new job on the horizon as yet and bills have to be paid.

Moli
20-11-2006, 11:10 PM
Thankyou Moli. I am doing muy best to make improvements but I know the petshop industry is alot of ****. No new job on the horizon as yet and bills have to be paid.
Its been a godsend you being there, those poor birds and bunny wouldn't have stood a chance without you:?

Elaine
18-12-2006, 12:22 AM
Bunty, as I have named her, has a nice new home and will be leaving us this thursday. She is going to a lovely couple who have quite a few animals and another bunny. I will be seeing her again on xmas day, as I am going over to feed all the animals as well as into work to see to the animals there.
Bunty is a beauty. She is a very good bunny with a huge personality.
Now I am working on a very grumpy hamster:roll: