PDA

View Full Version : Help!

alexgirl73
09-11-2006, 02:28 PM
I need some advice on what to do in this situation as I don't have a clue. You all know about my little tortie girl that Smudgley might have found a new home for, well her sister who disappeared just over a week ago has turned up outside my door again, with 2 kittens in tow. They appear to be around 10 weeks or so and are VERY skittish. They are thin looking and very wary of me going near them. I put out some more food for them but I'm at a loss as to what to do now. I think the older kitten is their mother but on the otherhand they could be a set of sibling s to her. I'm really wondering whether these cats are feral now. ANY advice greatfully received.

Naomi
09-11-2006, 03:12 PM
Leave food out for them and see how it goes. In fine weather, when you have the time, it maybe possible to just sit down somewhere quietly where you can see them and them you and allow them to get used to your presence.

It does take a while but it's very rewarding. Being so young it shouldn't take them too long to adjust to being fed by humans and start to enjoy human contact :D

Moli
09-11-2006, 03:23 PM
I would go with Nae's advice Alex, although, what will you do in the long term?The tortie obviously trust you enough to bring the kittens for food.So you now have 3 to find homes for...?

Mags
09-11-2006, 04:09 PM
That's good advice from Naomi, if you can gain the confidence of the kittens it will make it easier if you have to catch/move them later.....

dinahsmum
09-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Oh my - you'll have to get Smudgley to call again .....

Kazz
09-11-2006, 06:36 PM
I was just going to say contact Smudgley or the local CPL, it could also mean that the tortie girl is expecting to....if not it will only be a matter of time, same with her sister. Four cats with at least two being females you'll have a whole colony by next summer. Very sad.

alexgirl73
09-11-2006, 08:19 PM
I phoned up the CPL only to get one of those electronic voice messages saying that they can't take any more cats or kittens as they are full up. It just makes me feel so sad to know that babies even younger than my Cooper and Teddie are out wandering the streets beside quite a busy road. I'll just have to go up to Asda tomorrow and buy in a couple of boxes of their kitten food and hope I can at least keep them fed.

binza
09-11-2006, 10:15 PM
alex i are you talking about the grey cats sisters that you gave to mt sister cause if you are my sister is abit concerned that this kitten may be preganant or had babies as she as teets which are quite large she seems to be pinning at times as if shes looking for something shes worried incase it is pregnant .
tracy

alexgirl73
09-11-2006, 10:20 PM
I dont think these kittens could be hers cause there is no grey on them and also they are so young I dont think they could have survived these last weeks without their mother. I think they belong to the littlest tortie girl. Hopefully Cleo isn't pregnant. Has she taken her to the vets to get her checked over?

binza
09-11-2006, 10:22 PM
i have this very wired feeling that she was a mommy cause her nipples are quite large and shes definatley female , i had a look at her today to check her over and you can feel them and on my female you cant, so we are worried incase they are her babies .
tracy

binza
09-11-2006, 10:27 PM
not yet but she is going to make appointment to get her checked out all i can say shes had some or is preg hopefully its the other way round, she as settled in really well there and as put some weight on but i think thats mainly to the food. her son got me thinking cause he kept saying shes preg but i think its more like she as had a litter sometime .
tracy

alexgirl73
09-11-2006, 10:30 PM
More than likely Tracy, because obviously at least one of these babies had, and they are far too young to be having them. If it was her litter then at least the kittens have survived ok, and she will hopefully be spayed sometime soon and live a happy life without the fear of more unwanted babies.

binza
09-11-2006, 10:32 PM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n176/binza/-00081.jpg here she is looking well

alexgirl73
09-11-2006, 10:34 PM
She's looking great Tracy. You managed to get the colour of her eyes brilliantly!

binza
09-11-2006, 10:37 PM
alex i think she was one of the lucky ones, shes very much loved and she will definatley be spayed she doesnt go out the house at all she stays in, as soon as she saw me she came running to me shes so effectionate, i honestly dont know how some people can be so cruel to let them defend for themselves its a pity you cant find who it is because they shouldnt be allowed to keep them its so unfair for these kittens.
tracy

binza
09-11-2006, 10:38 PM
yep shes a stunner and shes a poser lol

binza
09-11-2006, 10:43 PM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n176/binza/Picture0310.jpg and this is cleo being playful

Kazz
09-11-2006, 10:47 PM
Its a shame seems you have the start of a colony there though, hope someone can help.

Elaine
09-11-2006, 10:53 PM
Alex, I have some James Wellbeloved kitten food here. Would you like me to send it to you?

Elaine
09-11-2006, 10:55 PM
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n176/binza/Picture0310.jpg
Dont show me those gorgous grey kitties, I want to steal them and call them all Winston;) She is so lovely. xxx

Kazz
09-11-2006, 10:57 PM
Alex, I have some James Wellbeloved kitten food here. Would you like me to send it to you?

Excellent idea there Elaine, I can buy some kitten food and send it to you if it helps?

smudgley
09-11-2006, 11:05 PM
oh dear.:(

If these little babies are about 10 weeks, plus 9 weeks of pregnancy, means their mother got pregnant 19 weeks ago. Over 4 months ago.

The little tortie I saw was only about 4 months old.

It's a shame your local CP just have a message, but our branch is also full to bursting & today alone I've taken calls about

*a very pregnant cat :(
*3 found kittens (8 wks) :(
*a single kitten (12 wks) :(
*2 young adults :(

None of which we can take in at the present time.:(

I would try & contact other rescue places to see if any can help. I could give you a list of numbers to try, but they are all around Stourbridge / Dudley / Wolverhampton / B'ham.

Kazz
09-11-2006, 11:15 PM
Dear Lord I didn't realise there were so many unwanted cats out there - I wonder where they go when turned away...........:(

So do you think the kittens at 10 weeks are actually siblings of the tortie etc? seems more likely but could mean the whole cycle will start again.

smudgley
09-11-2006, 11:26 PM
Dear Lord I didn't realise there were so many unwanted cats out there - I wonder where they go when turned away...........:(

So do you think the kittens at 10 weeks are actually siblings of the tortie etc? seems more likely but could mean the whole cycle will start again.

They may have the same mom, but she would have got pregnant shortly after the birth if they are. Their mommy could be another cat altogether. There may well be lots of cats & kittens in the area. :(
Before I got into CP I had no idea how bad it was. You hear about unwanted cats, but when you get involved & see it first hand it's awful. We prioritise the calls, but there comes a point where you can only prioritise so much, when suddenly everything becomes a priority. I want to take in all the cats I've had calls about today,I think they all need to come in (except the 2 adults) but I have 4 pens full & there's just not enough hours in the day for me to take more.:cry: :cry:

Alex, do the new little ones look healthy?

Kazz
09-11-2006, 11:39 PM
Smudgley I was not in any way critising the rescues and especialy not you. It just brought it home to me how many unwanted needy cats there are in the World and look at mine at the moment spread out over the bed with the radiator on. Having just eaten her second helping of roast chicken breast (from our roast dinner) and a little stretch then moved into the bedroom.

smudgley
09-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Smudgley I was not in any way critising the rescues and especialy not you. It just brought it home to me how many unwanted needy cats there are in the World and look at mine at the moment spread out over the bed with the radiator on. Having just eaten her second helping of roast chicken breast (from our roast dinner) and a little stretch then moved into the bedroom.

I know you weren't critisising Kazz (you daft nana):roll: I was just agreeing with you that it's a lot worse than it first seems when you look closer into it.

Kazz
09-11-2006, 11:46 PM
No when I re-read my post it sounded a little like critsium and thats not what I intended to anyone who helps in any way shape or form in the work of any cat rescue. So thought I would clear it up didn't want anyone to read it and be offended.

Karen

alexgirl73
10-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Smudgley, they look a little on the thin side and aren't keen on me going near them. The reason I think they are either siblings or babies of the torties is that they have such similar markings to them. And they are the only torties in the street. We have loads of gingers and greys and tabbys but only this little group of torties and their mum (who I haven't seen in a while). Elaine, thanks for the offer, but I went up to Asda last night and bought 2 boxes of their kittne food (45p a box I think it was), I'll see how they do on that for the time being and will keep you in mind if I can't find another place for them to go. (((hugs)))

Sweet
10-11-2006, 09:29 AM
God Bless all these little kitties, I hope they all find loving caring homes soon - its cold out there x

binza
10-11-2006, 12:49 PM
lol she is lovely though !!
tracy

binza
10-11-2006, 12:54 PM
i was referring to the grey kitten on other page if your abit confused.
tracy

ellenlouise
10-11-2006, 01:02 PM
Just a thorght could you use a humaine catcher with food inside and then move them on. I am probably not going to get my kittens to the earliest 15th December.So could I could offer a safe home for any kittens if that could help anyone. I would travel if need be. They could stay with us untill you found them a new home. I could also see if local resucues here would help. All the rescues in Gloucester are empty. If I can help in any way just tell me.