PDA

View Full Version : Clipping nails

JBalways2000
08-11-2006, 08:53 PM
does anyone have tips for clipping kitties nails? Ravens are so bad that when he plays with toys they sometimes get stuck and he cries until we unattach him:( poor fella. his nails have been like it since we got him, but he has taken such a long time settling in properly that i didnt want to scare him by trimming his nails! this past week he has made so much progress though, and he will now come and nudge us for attention and purrs just as much as AJ(which is ALOT!:lol: ) and hes even "kneaded" when we have fussed him a few times!:D

any tips greatly appreciated!

Elaine
08-11-2006, 09:12 PM
In order not to undo any of the progress he has made thus far, I'd take it slowly. Even if you only get one claw trimmed tonight and another tomorrow, if thats all he will let you do before getting stressed. Give him a wee treat or make a fuss of him for being good.
Winston was never a problem and was always good as gold, letting me do almost anything to him. The Diva gets highly stressed and I am lucky if I can get one claw clipped in a week. Bernie is not too bad but can be a bit of a wriggle bum so we tend to wrap him in a towel with one leg free at a time. Again it can take me a few days to get them all trimmed. I only nip off the very ends coz i am frightened of hurting them. I dont need to trim them often as they like to scramble over the small dividing wall in the garden which helps to wear them down a good bit. Good luck.

Mags
08-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Cassie won't let me clip hers so I let the vet do it :)

alexgirl73
08-11-2006, 09:57 PM
All 3 of mine let me do it to them. Never had any fuss from them at all. I just sit on the couch with their bottoms to the back of it and put one arm over and under them to hold them in place, and grab a paw and clip!

dandysmom
08-11-2006, 10:10 PM
I've found that if you start them ass kittens they adjust very well; older cats can be impossible. Patches was 1 1/2 when I re-homed her, I was lucky to get 3 claws clipped a week! Threshing and agonized screams that I was amputating her toes!! Without anaesthetic!! Talk about a Diva!

Elaine
08-11-2006, 10:15 PM
Threshing and agonized screams that I was amputating her toes!! Without anaesthetic!! Talk about a Diva!

Thats sounds exactly like my Eva the Diva:lol:

dandysmom
08-11-2006, 10:17 PM
And guess who I was thinking of when I used that expression...???? :-D

Elaine
08-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Her reputation preceeds her LOL

binza
08-11-2006, 11:14 PM
my cats dont mind at all they just lay upside down on my lap and i just clip away with ordinary nail clippers actually i was doing that last night they were due for a trim lol.
tracy

caddy_dabby
02-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Alfie goes to the vets to get his done. He didnt mind at first but the past two times he has been a little s o d though.

JBalways2000
05-01-2007, 03:23 PM
well ive managed to clip the boys nails a few times now-they mostly just try and play with the clippers when im doing it:lol: i got my partner to hold them at first but the last time i got them while they were sleeping;) they did wake up after a while...and proceeded to try and play with and chew the clippers:roll: :lol:

JBalways2000
09-01-2007, 12:21 AM
i was just wondering how often everyone else clips their kitties nails? because at the moment the boys are needing theres done around every 2 weeks:shock: they have a scratching post(in the shape of a fish! lol) and a small activity centre/post and they also enjoy using the furniture:roll: :lol: just wondered if there was anything else i should be doing to keep their nails down or if every 2 weeks seems reasonable?

Mags
09-01-2007, 12:26 AM
Cassie has had hers clipped just once in her 9 years ........ by the vet :D

smudgley
09-01-2007, 12:27 AM
:) Never had any of my cats nails clipped.

caddy_dabby
09-01-2007, 12:29 AM
My Alfie needs his doing between every 2- 4 weeks,depending on how much the nurse trims off each time.

Fran
09-01-2007, 12:34 AM
It's advised that you trim your cat's nails before showing them so they don't cause injury to the judges... So Bliss and Mildred will have to have theirs clipped, that should be interesting :roll:

smudgley
09-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Oh my word, can you imagine a judge getting a scratch from a big grumpy Tom cat.:shock:

Do the cats generally behave when being looked over at a show Fran?

Kazz
09-01-2007, 12:57 AM
Never clipped nails on younger cats or on my Oz but Cleo has had hers clipped as she's got older and not gone out more. But she's 24 so I imagine at that age most people will be nail clipping she stays asleep while I so it too maybe a nail or two at a time as they don't grow toofast either.

Karen

Fran
09-01-2007, 01:07 AM
Do the cats generally behave when being looked over at a show Fran?

Mostly, yes although you do read some judges' critiques which state something along the lines that cat was swearing at the judge :-D You can be disqualified if a judge thinks that your cat deliberately scratches/bites them though..

JBalways2000
12-01-2007, 02:05 AM
am i doing something wrong with the boys that they need their nails clipping so often then? or is it just because they are indoor kitties so dont have chance to wear their nails down properly?:?

dandysmom
12-01-2007, 02:56 AM
Do they use the scratching post a lot? Leia is indoors only, but keeps her claws well sharpened, so have never had to clip them (thank God!) But my others that were laxer at sharpening needed it oh, maybe once every month or six weeks, when I could catch them and do it...much screaming, thrashing and loud lamentations!

Fran
12-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Hubby and I clipped Bliss' paws the other evening to get her used to having it done for showing. She was a dream bless her, I held her, hubby clipped but tbh one of us could have managed on our own, she never batted an eye lid, just layed purring throughout :D

wanda
07-02-2007, 08:52 PM
Never been able to do Smokey's claws myself as he goes absolutely mental if I try, but twice a year he goes to a wonderful cattery while I am on holiday, and the lady that runs it does them - he doesn't turn a hair, sits there purring at her!

sarahd
22-02-2007, 09:04 AM
I also clip my lots claws with the normal nail clippers.
Sit their bums on my knee, long sleeved thick jumper on to protect my arms lol, front paws over my arm.
Then take a paw and squeeze gently just below the toes and the claws show themselves quite willingly then its a case of fast clipping before the cats get unwilling

Sarah
x

wanda
22-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Just tried your method with Smokey. Now have teeth marks in hand where he bit me! He's sat at the side of me now, glaring and thrashing his tail. Not one claw cut. Going to be a coward and leave it to cattery lady! Many thanks for advice anyway.

PS I truly believe that he is slightly off kilter mentally. I've had cats all my life and never one like him before.

mattde
19-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Gave both the kittens a nail trim yesterday, WOW so easy, I was well impressed. What prompted me to do it was the fact yesterday morning one of the kittens jumped up on my knee tho didnt make it and managed to scratch my arm two 3" scratches to show for it.

calismum
19-12-2008, 07:13 PM
I have always managed to cut their nails without much problem - until Kinsi. She went completely mad. You would have thought I was trying to amputate to hear the fuss. She seems to have very long claws, they catch on the rug. I now need to have OH hold her while I do the deed. You'd never believe such a ding dong from something so small and cute!

dandysmom
19-12-2008, 09:12 PM
Usually starting them as kittens works; they get used to it. Sounds as if Kinsi is the exception, bless her!

calismum
19-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Usually starting them as kittens works; they get used to it. Sounds as if Kinsi is the exception, bless her!

Can't say that was my thoughts when she was trying to shred any part of my skin she could reach:lol: :lol: :lol:

dandysmom
19-12-2008, 11:42 PM
LOL! Patches always thrashed like a wild thing and let out bloodcurdling screams that I was amputating her toes without anaesthetic...but she was 1 1/2 when I rehomed her and had never had her claws clipped....and never would! I gave up...that, or A & E!

Tina
20-12-2008, 12:20 AM
I have to admit to never having trimmed/clipped either of my girls' claws. :oops: Luckily they both do a lot of scratching (Miw on the scratching post like a good girl, Mousie on the kitchen table leg like the imp she is!) so their claws aren't too bad.

I think Mousie would probably sit quietly and allow us to clip her claws.......she's very easy-going and used to sitting still for medication and blood tests, so claw clipping would be a breeze.

Miw, however........I don't think I'd dare to even try! As it is, we need 3 people and full body armour just to do her monthly flea treatment, and that's just a little drop on the back of her neck LOL! :lol:

calismum
20-12-2008, 11:13 AM
LOL! Patches always thrashed like a wild thing and let out bloodcurdling screams that I was amputating her toes without anaesthetic...but she was 1 1/2 when I rehomed her and had never had her claws clipped....and never would! I gave up...that, or A & E!

That's how I feel, but she is still young and such a little madam - I feel I should not give up just yet (so far it is 80:20 to her I think)

I have to admit to never having trimmed/clipped either of my girls' claws. :oops: Luckily they both do a lot of scratching (Miw on the scratching post like a good girl, Mousie on the kitchen table leg like the imp she is!) so their claws aren't too bad.

I think Mousie would probably sit quietly and allow us to clip her claws.......she's very easy-going and used to sitting still for medication and blood tests, so claw clipping would be a breeze.

Miw, however........I don't think I'd dare to even try! As it is, we need 3 people and full body armour just to do her monthly flea treatment, and that's just a little drop on the back of her neck LOL! :lol:

That reminded me - I had the same problem when we did her flea treatment. OMG I have a monster!!

Honestly of all the cats I have ever shared my life with she is the most determined, cussed, sweet, loving, single minded, quirky one I have ever known. A beautiful, little fluffy challenge!:lol:

Maybe once she starts to go out she'll keep them short enough for me not to bother with (x's fingers and pleads)

angieh
20-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Merlin's front claws have never been a problem as he uses his scratching post and looks after them himself. We only really noticed how long his hind claws were after we had laminate flooring put down in our new kitchen about 18 months ago as they clatter when he walks! Luckily, before he had the op to remove his cyst, I asked the vet to clip the ones on that side so that any scratching he might do to the op site would not be so disastrous. He definitely put up a fight, struggled and cursed - but at least he only clattered on one side until they grew again!

dandysmom
20-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Now that you mentioned rear claws, I wonder how Leia keeps hers so sharp and not long, as she doesn't go outside. I just looked at her feet to her annoyance and the back claws are short and very pointy...how does she keep them like that?

calismum
21-12-2008, 12:06 AM
Now that you mentioned rear claws, I wonder how Leia keeps hers so sharp and not long, as she doesn't go outside. I just looked at her feet to her annoyance and the back claws are short and very pointy...how does she keep them like that?

No idea how they do it. Alfie has very short back claws to. Kinsi just seems to have long claws for her size - hopefully she'll grow into them. I used to have a cat - Max - who chewed his claws!

dandysmom
21-12-2008, 12:44 AM
I think what you mean by chewing their claws is when they pull off the old claw sheath. I often find one lying about the house; guess that's how Leia keeps hers short, although I've never seen her doing it. But have seen the former cats doing it occasionally .....

angieh
21-12-2008, 12:55 AM
Yes Merlin "chews" his toenails (as I call it) and often I find the discarded sheaths lying about. I expect the new ones underneath are much sharper!