PDA

View Full Version : Help for a friend

Naomi
07-11-2006, 11:24 AM
I was chatting to one of my friends earlier and she has a wonderful cat who is about 3 years old.

About 18months ago she started to act really strangely and pee on beds, carpets....well anywhere apart from the litter tray. Not long after, she started to smell really badly. She took her to the vets and they couldn't find anything wrong with her. Checked her teeth, ears, rear end etc basically gave her a real good look over but found nothing :(

The cat was then spayed back the begining of this year and whilst she was under anasthetic they checked again but still couldn't find what the source of the problem is.

She still stinks to high heaven and has now started acting aggressively. She bit my friends daughter badly last week and she attacks everything in sight.

My friend is at the end of her tether and is seriously running out of ideas.

Can anyone here help or sugggest anything. I've said that I'll take her to my vets if she wants to to see if they can find the problem.

Samz5
07-11-2006, 12:47 PM
The cat being smelly definatly suggests some kind of medical problem doesn't it, shame the vet can't find out what is wrong, might be good to get a second opinion at your vets.

If the cat has got some kind of medical problem the behavioral problems might just sort themselves out.

One of my cats used to be quite aggresive when she was younger (well up until she was about 8 years old), when she was around 3-5 was the worst though, she would just attack you if you tried to stroke her and everyone in the family just left her alone, it turned out that because everyone was very careful around her it made it worse. I started stroking her regularly and ignoring the bites and scratches, yes I ended up with a few injuries but most of the time they were just warning nips and bites.
I think it was letting her know I'm not scared of her, I'm bigger than her and higher in the hierarchy!
Now she is 14 and very friendly, she still has the odd mood and swipes at you but its very rare and not as aggresive as before, so if the aggresion continues this is the experience I've had with an aggresive cat, things did change but it took some work.

Having said all that I still think its most likely to be a health problem.

(http://www.siliconmeadow.net/mister_bojangles.mp3)

Naomi
07-11-2006, 12:53 PM
She used to be a very loving and friendly cat and would always come and sit on your lap for cuddles and strokes. She also used to be an outdoor cat but these days, since being spayed she will cry and whine until she's let back in :?

I'll try and get her an appointment with my vets later in the week when we take Timmy in for his check-up

yola
08-11-2006, 12:35 PM
I remember reading ages ago about a really smelly cat that ended up having blocked anal glands. It can be quite painful and uncomfortable for the cat. Has this been checked out? Other than that I can't really suggest anything.

Good luck - hope one of the vets can get to the bottom (excuse pun) of this!

Sweet
08-11-2006, 03:30 PM
I cannot offer any advice but wanted to say, hope it gets sorted soon x

Naomi
08-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Yep that was one of the first things that was checked Yola :(

Elaine
08-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Did they take a urine sample? I'd definately get a second opinion, it may be the behaviour she is displaying is pain aggression. Poor thing, I hope all goes well for your frined and the kitty xxx.

alexgirl73
08-11-2006, 08:03 PM
I had a friend in Aberdeen who's cat wsas extremely aggressive with anyone except her and had been for about 3 years. When they had to have her checked for something unrelated they discovered she had a problem with her ears and that was causing the aggression as she was in so much pain. Once that was treated she became a different cat.

sweetmimi
09-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Has the vet done any blood tests on this cat?

Naomi
09-11-2006, 07:55 PM
I don't think so Sweetmimi.

The cat is off to my vets next week to see if they can find the problem. Apparently she hasn't been cleaning herself properly either.

This sounds like one poorly kitty :(

Elaine
09-11-2006, 08:11 PM
Poor thing, I hope your vet can find whats wrong and help her and your friend. xxx