PDA

View Full Version : New Kitten bob tail?

ellenlouise
30-10-2006, 12:44 PM
Hey guys in a previous thread I told you I was searching for a rescue kitten. Well the CPL rang up to say they have a twelve week old tabby bob tail if we were interested. She said that it would be wise to get homechecked so sometime this week she will get back to us about the homecheck after that we can come and visit the kitten if we pass.

Just a few question. A bob tail has a short tail is this a natural occurance?
Will it effect the kitten?
How could we fail a homecheck?
Is there anything I should do to prepare?

dinahsmum
30-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Manx cats are born with no tail. I don't know of others, but maybe this little one was just born without? Or maybe he has had an accident and has had to lose his tail.
Not sure about the home check - probably whether you live on a busy road.
I think there may be people here who do checks, so they'll be able to tell you.
Good luck, anyway!

Moli
30-10-2006, 08:27 PM
There is an American Bob Tail cat.....It may look something like this....:)

http://www.whitetailrun.com/Ambobs/Lovey/Lovey02500.jpg
(http://www.whitetailrun.com/Ambobs/Lovey/Lovey02800.jpg)

dandysmom
30-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Could be of Manx ancestry; there is a Japanese Bobtail breed, but sort of doubt one would show up at a rescue, although you never know! As far as I have heard, bobtails are as agile and playful as tailed cats. Don't know what is involved in a home visit; have often wondered & hope someone will post. Good luck!

ellenlouise
31-10-2006, 12:10 PM
Thankyou everyone, I just hope we can give the kitten the best home possible.

yola
31-10-2006, 12:17 PM
The home visit is less about suitability to own a cat (although that IS an important consideration), it's more about what type of cat would be suitable for your household. For instance, if you live on a busy road like I do, you'd probably only considered for an indoor only cat.

Also, size/layout of house, existing pets and children are all factors which work towards securing the best possible cat/owner match and avoid the cat coming back to the shelter.

ellenlouise
31-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Thankyou for that. Our house isnt by a busy road. We are surronded by fields and we have a small country road next to our house, our house is quite big and the kitten has her own room already ready so she can settle in. I brought a book today Kittens for idiots which was quite good.

I'll keep you all updated.

twinky
02-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Thankyou for that. Our house isnt by a busy road. We are surronded by fields and we have a small country road next to our house, our house is quite big and the kitten has her own room already ready so she can settle in. I brought a book today Kittens for idiots which was quite good.

I'll keep you all updated.

How did you get on? IME, the CPL seem to delight in deeming homes inappropriate for their cats....:roll: A friend of mine lives in a very small village, and had an old black cat who lived there happily for 5 years with no trouble until he died of old age. When she was ready to have more cats, my friend went to our local CPL, who deemed her house and location unsuitable. I'm pleased to say she has since rehomed to unwanted kittens who are now happily living in her 'unsuitable' house and village.

logoes
02-01-2007, 04:28 PM
I think - and I am open to correction, that you cannot mate Manx to Manx,without problems, theri taillessness is genetic and is related to a malformation in tbneir spine. So it is usual to mate Manx to tailed breeds and that is where some of the bobtails come from. There was a programme on the TV many many years ago about it by a lady vet who was in practice in Suffolk - she bred and showed cats, I remember the programme cos I knew the lady. So in any litter from a Manx mother you are likely to get an assortment of tail lengths. The same genetic problem can give rise to a malformation of the spine in people, if I can remember what it is called I will post further. Logoes

smudgley
02-01-2007, 06:12 PM
How did you get on? IME, the CPL seem to delight in deeming homes inappropriate for their cats....:roll: A friend of mine lives in a very small village, and had an old black cat who lived there happily for 5 years with no trouble until he died of old age. When she was ready to have more cats, my friend went to our local CPL, who deemed her house and location unsuitable. I'm pleased to say she has since rehomed to unwanted kittens who are now happily living in her 'unsuitable' house and village.

Sorry to hear your friend had a bad experience with CP

It's a shame both of your posts are negative ones towards cat rescue :roll:

Perhaps you should introduce yourself in the intro section

ellenlouise
02-01-2007, 10:40 PM
I have nothing against the cat protection league they may not have helped us but they gave to lovely kittens to my uncle and aunty a couple of months before we started looking and they are very happy. The lady passed our house but unfortunatly there was no kittens available at that moment in time. In the end we found our kittens from a lady who was about to get her two cats spayed and found out they were both pregnant and didnt want to get rid of the babies which the vet said he would do. I am sorry you have had a bad experience but there is no need to be angry at the cat protection league in general as every branch is different.

Rosie
03-01-2007, 12:46 PM
I know I would have been totally unsuitable to adopt a kitten from a rescue as I work all day and the local rescues will not let full-time workers adopt kittens. However I took little Alfie from a lady whose cat had had a litter and being black/black and white not easy to rehome. As I have got an older cat and a dog and safe access to outside he has settled in just fine and has a home that loves and cares for him.

kado
03-01-2007, 02:12 PM
I didnt try the cpl because we live right next to a road in a small villiage. I bought kado for £45 he had very sticky eyes took him to the vets nxt day he was realy badly infested will fleas as well. The only thing i regret when we got kado is that we didnt get the other kitten in the litter that was left. Guinness was rescued from a so called friend who wasnt looking after him. Simon from a lady who just wanted a good home for him. He wasnt my first choice i also found a home for 3 others from the litters she had there good homes though. Two in bath, we took them down ther and a friend looked after ours but the day we got back she asked if she could keep her so to save the peace i said she could so i then got simon from the same litter. Then i found kay paid £35 for her. I know i shouldnt enocourage people to breed cats but they have a very pampered life now and i love them all to bits.