PDA

View Full Version : Amputation

sandy
27-10-2006, 09:46 PM
Hello folks. my first post, and not a pleasant one: my cat was diagnosed with cancer in her front leg today. The only treatment possible is an amputation.

Does anyone have any experience with this? How did recovery go and what degree of quality of life was the cat left with?

Thanks,
Sandy

dandysmom
27-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Sandy, so sorry to hear your bad news...one of the members here hass gone through this, and am sure she'll share her experience with you...they do adapt amazingly well.

Mags
27-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Hello Sandy, welcome to Catsey!

So sorry to hear the sad news about your cat :( One of our members had to have one of her cat's legs amputated a couple of months ago. I'm sure when she is next online she will tell you more about it.......it did adapt very well to coping with three legs though.

sandy
27-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks dandysmom and mags. That would be a great help, I do hope she responds this week (I have to decide pretty soon).

The trouble is, it's her front leg, which is much worse than the back legs as far as movement goes.

It's a dreadful decision, I want to do right by her, not keep her alive for my own gratification. She deserves a chance, if it's going to be worthwhile, after 13 years of love and friendship - but you know all this stuff, eh?

EmmaG
27-10-2006, 10:09 PM
So sorry to hear this Sandy, but I have seen on other cat forums as well as this one, that cats adjust amazing well. If it was me I would give her a chance.

Emma x

Mags
27-10-2006, 10:11 PM
Sandy, the member who has gone through this is Booktigger and she comes on here most days, hopefully she will be here in the next day or so.

It must be so difficult for you to make such a decision, we all send you our best wishes for her and know that you will do what you think is best for her.

Please keep us updated how things go......and give her a cuddle from me :)

sandy
27-10-2006, 10:13 PM
Bless you, Mags. I'm all teared up this evening.

She's been such a good friend all these years, the gentlest and most devoted of all the cats I've had. We are two old ladies growing old together.

dandysmom
27-10-2006, 10:25 PM
Sandy, this is a caring place, I know I can speak for others that we know the sorrow and indeision you must be going through...it's not easy. Your girl is only 13, she has many years ahead, hopefuly, and as everyone has said, they do cope amzingly...(((hugs))) to you both, and let us know what you decide. We do care.

Moli
27-10-2006, 10:35 PM
Hi Sandy, welcome to Catsey.....So sorry to hear about your cat....as others have said, booktiggers cat has been through the op, and is doing well, sure your cat will be the same...Please keep us updated..thoughts and hugs with you... x

alexgirl73
27-10-2006, 10:40 PM
hi Sandy, welcome to Catsey. I'm sorry for the difficult situation which you find yourself in. I hope you come to a decision which you feel is best for you and your cat. I'm sure she would cope brilliantly with 3 legs, I've seen many that have. Fel free to come on here at any time if you need to sound off or need someone to talk to, we're a very caring bunch on here. (((hugs)))

smudgley
27-10-2006, 11:42 PM
Hi Sandy, sorry to hear about your sad news.
I don't have any personal experience of cats with amputated limbs. I do have experience however of dogs who've had a leg amputated, both through my work & with my own pet dog.
I think the main thing to remember is that animals do not go through the emotions / trauma that we do. When making your decision you need to look at lots of factors. Cats age / future quality of life / & a lot of other things. But what you must remember is that if your cat has her leg amputated - you don't have to worry about how it will affect her mentally like it would with a human. Basically --They have an operation & then they have to learn to walk with a leg missing. I know it's a big decision & a big operation, but when one of my dogs was diagnosed with osteosarcoma at a very young age, my mom didn't want her to have her leg taken off because of how she (my mom) felt about it - Not how the dog would cope with it. Hope that makes sense & good luck whatever you decide.

sandy
28-10-2006, 08:05 AM
Thanks for all the messages of support, you lovely people.

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/3545/87af.jpg

dinahsmum
28-10-2006, 11:05 AM
Hi there!
How sad that your first post is so difficult. I haven't owned an amputee cat but a long time ago, when I was a little girl, the neighbours had a cat who caught her front foot in a snare and had to be amputated. She lived a long, happy life. Also, more recently, a friend adopted a rear-leg amputee, who is perfectly fine.
Here is Booktigger's (long) thread about her Pebbles.
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=14170&highlight=amputation

If I was in your situation, I think I would firstly seek the vet's assurance that, as far as s/he can tell, there is no spread of the cancer. Then I would go ahead with the operation. However, if the disease returned after that (maybe spread to the bones, liver or lungs) I would step in quickly to prevent any further distress to my loved pet.

(((hugs))) to you. Take care.

sweetmimi
28-10-2006, 11:19 AM
aww she is beautiful what a wonderful looking lady she is.
I have known a cat who had only one front leg the other was damaged in a RTA and he managed with no problems at all. If this were my cat then yes I would have the operation as otherwise the cancer will spread. If it has not spread I would definately have the operation and give her many happy years of life with you.
I am so sorry you have to make this decision its never easy.

sandy
28-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Thanks, ladies. The vet has told me (and I've looked it up on the internet too) that bone tumours in cats rarely lead to secondary cancers. With dogs it nearly always does.

I found this today on another forum which has given me heart:

"My cat's got her front leg amputated. She can run rings around my other cats and is much more agile. She can jump better than the rest of them put together. She really is amazing.

He'll just need time and will figure it out for himself. Watch him and if there's any way you can obviously help him out initially, then do so. But he will learn to cope in time.

The great thing about animals is that they never feel sorry for themselves, they just get on with life. "

Booktigger
28-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Sorry it has taken me so long to find this!! Bit of a manic week here. Pebbles leg was her back leg, but I do know of people who have had to have front legs amputated with no probs. My vet was reluctant with her age and that she had always been sickly, but she got through it no prob - and to prove she was well, fought them when they took the drip out of her!! have the vets X Rayed her chest?? i think if the chest X ray is clear, I would go for it. There was never an alternative in my mind though, as hers was done for different reasons. She is a lovely girl.

sandy
28-10-2006, 12:49 PM
Thanks, Booktigger. My cat is strong and healthy, hardly had a day's illness in her whole life. Still hunts successfully.

I think I'm going to go for operation, and will ask the vet to take more x-rays to be sure this is a one-off tumour.

Sweet
28-10-2006, 01:18 PM
Sending you both (((((big hugs)))))) a gorgeous kitty - I would go for the Op x

Mags
28-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Good luck Sandy ...... please let us know how everything goes with your gorgeous girl.... ((((hugs)))) to you both....

Booktigger
28-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Fingers crossed they all come back fine. If the vet says it will take her longer to adapt due to her age, take it with a pinch of salt!!

Kim
28-10-2006, 06:58 PM
Hi Sandy and welcome to Catsey. So sorry to hear your first post such a sad one. Your cat is lovely. I have no personal experience of amputee cats, but I do know that cats adjust very well to their circumstances and if your vet is recommending the op then I would go ahead. I have a disabled cat and although he was born with his disability he manages perfectly well, if a little awkward at times. Good luck and ((hugs))

dandysmom
28-10-2006, 07:58 PM
Sandy, your girl is simply gorgeous! I agree that if the cancer hasn't spread, go for the operation; she's a healthy cat you said, and should cope just fine!! Please let us know what happens!

yola
28-10-2006, 08:14 PM
Sandy - welcome and good luck. You have received some wonderful advice from colleagues here with 1st had experience. I wish you both all the best.

sandy
29-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Thanks, ladies.

Just had this reply on another forum, it's most heartening. Isn't the internet just great!

"i got a cat that got hit by a car two years ago and he needed his front leg amputated he came from the vet in the afternoon and was jumping on the bed the next day.it took him two and a half weeks all in all for him to recover properly and he still gets up to mischief now and does all the things a cat does hes also great at catching mice and rats."

Booktigger
29-10-2006, 01:17 PM
I would also ask them to do a blood test to check her organs will be fine with teh anaesthetic, and also put her on a drip - it is supposed to be beneficial for older cats, they did that with PEbbles.

sandy
31-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Latest news: the vet has just phoned: the radiologist has sent his report and is unsure about the x-rays. There is a small chance that it may not be cancerous after all. The tumour does not have the typical shape of a cancerous tumour.

Advice of the vet: more painkillers and a course of antibiotics for 3 weeks, followed by another x-ray to see if the size has changed. If it has not reduced in size, or if it has grown, then we go ahead with the operation, since even if it is not cancerous, it is causing her too much pain.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry - I had myself emotionally steeled to have the operation done this week.

dinahsmum
31-10-2006, 09:44 AM
I don't know whether to laugh or cry - I had myself emotionally steeled to have the operation done this week.
.......... and I don't know whether to say 'oh good' or 'oh dear' :?
I suppose if the outcome is that she remains a quadruped and does not become a tripod then it is good, but I understand and sympathise with your shredded emotions. (hugs))

sandy
31-10-2006, 10:22 AM
A friend of mine said I'd have to change her name to Tripod -you gotta laugh, eh? :)

nan
23-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Hi Sandy,

We've something in common. Nan was just diagnosed with Cancer and they want to do a leg amputation on Monday. I understand what you are going through. First shock, now sadness. I hope this is the right decision and not going to be too hard for her to recover from. Not sure what the long term prognosis is. I still have a lot of questions for the Vet before we start this process.

Good luck to you both.

farthing
23-11-2008, 10:08 PM
Just seen this and thought I'd write to wish you well.
One of our cats, Triger (3 legged tiger) had a back leg amputated at 14 months old. He was very sore and swollen for the first week or so, and took a few months to adapt to the stage where I was happy to let him out. He got tired quite quickly for the first couple of weeks, but soon became as fit as the others. He could catch mice, stand on the end of fence post and when he ran, you wouldn't even notice a leg was missing, only thing he couldn't do was sit up on his back leg. Sadly we lost him this year to FIV, but up until that point he was just like any other cat.
We have also fostered a 3 legged cat and our neighbours have one with a missing front leg, he spends most of his time outside, and is semi-feral, but copes just fine.
Initially it is quite upsetting to see the swelling and they are quite sore, but recover amazingly quickly, actually one of my cats had to have an operation to realign his kneecaps and the recovery was a lot longer.
Good luck.

dandysmom
23-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Best wishes to you from me also. Do let us know how it goes; Sandy never did .......

Mags
23-11-2008, 10:19 PM
I too hope everything went well with Sandy.......... however, may I bring to everyone's notice that this is an old thread which is over two years old...

dandysmom
23-11-2008, 10:43 PM
Oh I noticed that, Mags; hope it proved helpful anyway ..... lots of advice and encouraging stories.

Mags
23-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Oh I noticed that, Mags; hope it proved helpful anyway ..... lots of advice and encouraging stories.
Yes, I hope so too Eileen :)

I hope everything goes well with Nan...

TRACY2FEATHERS
30-12-2010, 03:46 PM
Hello folks. my first post, and not a pleasant one: my cat was diagnosed with cancer in her front leg today. The only treatment possible is an amputation.

Does anyone have any experience with this? How did recovery go and what degree of quality of life was the cat left with?

Thanks,
Sandy
S
HI SAND
MAMA CAT HAD HER SURGERY ON 12/24/10 AND IS HOME RECOVERING NOW. AM KEEPING THE GROUP UP TO DATE ON MAMA PROCESS . PLEASE EXCUSE MY SPELLING I DO NOT HAVE SPELL CHECK.
AM STARTING TO RELIZE THAT US HUMANS GO THRU A PROCESS OF ARE OWN WITH MAKING DECTIONS IF I SHOULD ARE NOT, IF ONLY MAMA COULD TALK.

I WAITED AND NOW I WISH I HAD HER LEG APATATED WHEN THE RESULTS WERE IN, I DID NOT RELIZE MAMA WAS IN PAIN CATS HIDE IT FROM YOU,
I DIDNT KNOW THAT DAY WHEN I TOOK MAMA BACK TO THE VET IF I WAS GOING TO PUT HER ASLEEP ARE REMOVE HER LEG.....NOW MAMA DONT LIKE GOING TO THE VET OFFICE, BUT WHEN WE GOT THERE TO THE VET OFFICE MAMA NEW AND IT SEEM AS SHE WAS RELIEVED THAT HER HUMAN WAS FINELY DOING SOMTHING.

THE VET EXPLAIN TO ME THAT CATS ARE NOT LIKE HUMANS THEY DONT GRIEVE OVER THE LOST OF THERE LIMB THAT CATS ADAPT VERY WELL WITH 3 LEGS.

SO I AGREE TO HAVE THEM REMOVE HER LEG. NOW SHE IS HOME RECOVERING, AND I AM GLAD THAT I HAD IT DONE WISH I DID IT SOONER. NOW FOR THE PASS COUPLE OF DAYS I HAVE BEEN OVER PROTECTED TOWARDS MAMA WORRIED CONCERN IF I AM DOING ALL THE RIGHT THINGS FOR HER HEALING PROCESS . THIS IS THE 2ND STAGE OF THE PROCESS US HUMANS GO THRU WORRY. THEN I RELIZE MAMA IS DOING BETTER THAN ME, AND I NEED TO STEP BACK AND CALM MYSELF SO I AM NOT STRESSING HER OUT. AS HARD AS IT IS FOR ME TO LEAVE MAMA AND GO OFF FOR A HOUR TO UNSTRESS ME I DO BECAUSE I KNOW IT IS BETTER FOR BOTH OF US, THATS STAGE 3 AND THAT IS WERE I AM AT NOW,
I DO NOT REGRET TAKING MAMA TO THE VET AND I BLEAVE MAMA IS THANKFULL THAT I TOOK HER OUT OF HER PAIN. WHAT EVER YOU DECIDE MAKE A DECTION SOON TO TAKE HER OUT OF HER PAIN. THIS DEASE GROWS SOME TIMES SLOWLY SOME TIMES QUICK AND CAN SPREAD.

dandysmom
30-12-2010, 05:11 PM
You made the right decision. She's getting better and will cope wonderfully with the loss of her leg. Hope she's doing well today and getting stronger; soon she'll come out from under the day bed.

Kobster
31-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Sully had his left front leg amputated when he was 4 months old and has never looked back. He climbs, runs, jumps, plays and snuggles with the best of them! (he's snuggled in my lap right now and wanted to make sure I included that last bit) Cats are amazingly adaptable, so if you end up having to have the surgery done, you kitty will cope just fine.