PDA

View Full Version : Help me please

Elaine
26-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Does any one know anything about Canaries? I have taken one home from work today which is obviously sick. I cannt get it to the vet till tomorrow afternoon. Am taking it to my vet, who is not only good with cats but a bird expert. She couldnt help me too much over the phone because the symptoms as I can describe them are not very specific and could be anything.
The bird is sitting at the bottom of its cage and feels very cold. Its breathing looks laboured. I have it in a cozy room, away from the cats. It probably also has mites as one of the others had mites and they are all being treated for this since I spotted it.
I am terrified the poor little mite isnt going to make it but dont know what else to do.
Many other vets wont take the animals because the company never seems to pay up so am paying the bill for this one myself.
If any one can offer any advice I would be very greatfull.

yola
26-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Oh Elaine - how sad. I'm not a bird expert, sorry - but I know that birds who are cold tend to be on the way out . . . as I had a friend who worked with parrot rescue a while back and she said it was a kind of early warning signal that something was amiss.

I sincerely hope that's not the case - maybe someone can offer more specific advice.

Good luck to the poor canary :(

Moli
26-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Think you are doing everything right Elaine, when one of my budgies was poorly, I put a cover over the cage and kept it quiet and warm...Hope the little bird makes it..

Elaine
26-10-2006, 07:24 PM
Thankyou Yola and Moli:cry: I am worried sick about the poor thing.

dandysmom
26-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Wish I could help, but never had birds; hope the little one makes it.

Mags
26-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Sorry Elaine, I'm afraid I don't know anything about birds but I hope the little fella pulls through......:(

Elaine
26-10-2006, 09:22 PM
Thanx any way folks. Just went to check on the little fellow and he really doesnt look good and is obviously having difficulty breathing. His beak is open and his eyes are almost shut. Keep your fingers crossed please xxx

yola
26-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Thanx any way folks. Just went to check on the little fellow and he really doesnt look good and is obviously having difficulty breathing. His beak is open and his eyes are almost shut. Keep your fingers crossed please xxx

Will do. Please let us know how he gets on.

Moli
26-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Everything crossed here.........

alexgirl73
26-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Keeping fingers and toes crossed. Do you have a heat pack you could perhaps wrap up and put in beside it?

Mags
26-10-2006, 10:01 PM
Fingers crossed here too Elaine.......

Elaine
26-10-2006, 10:03 PM
I dont have a heat pad. I gave old Winstons away after his demise:( . I have been searching on the internet too for advice and apparently too much heat may kill the poor baby too, so I feel like I'm in between a rock and a hard place really. Will just have to see what happens I think.
But thankyou all for trying to help me with this one and for keeping everything crossed for him too.

alexgirl73
26-10-2006, 10:22 PM
saying a little prayer Elaine, hope it helps.

Elaine
27-10-2006, 08:18 AM
The little fellow has survived the night:) but still looking very poorly:( . I put my hand in to stroke him and he flew, unsteadily onto a perch so I withdrew my hand and just sat quietly with him for a bit coz I was frightened he was gonna fall off his perch. He went to his water dish and had a little drink. I am hoping that these are good signs but will have to wait and see what the vet says.
Will let you all know how he gets on.

Mags
27-10-2006, 09:25 AM
So pleased he got through the night alright, Elaine..........fingers are still crossed for the little fellow......

Moli
27-10-2006, 09:29 AM
Great to hear he got through the night....

Sweet
27-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Poor little fella, I am glad to read he made it through the night, fingers and paws crossed here that with your love he makes it x

Elaine
27-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Sad news.
The poor canary is dead. I am gutted. Just went to have a shower and get it off to the vets. Looked in just now and its on its back.
Am off to work now to check the others and get one or two of them into the vets to be checked over.
I felt so hopeful for the poor thing this morning when I got up and saw it had survived the night.

Mags
27-10-2006, 11:50 AM
That is so sad Elaine but you did your best for him.. (((hugs))) x

yola
27-10-2006, 12:00 PM
As Mags rightly says, you did what you could. Poor little chap :(

Kim
27-10-2006, 05:23 PM
That is so sad Elaine, bt at least you tried your best. I have had birds in the past and they are difficult to treat successfully.

Elaine
20-11-2006, 11:04 PM
Update on the birds.
Had them tested for Chlamidiosis. Have been giving them extra vitamins, eggfood every other day, also been reading up and making sure they all get daily bath water. Am making sure they are all cleaned out properly and no slacking!
Birds are really begining to look good again. They have become much more vocal, to the point its painfull sometimes:lol: .
All in all they are really looking so much better and behaving more as birds should.
Oh forgot to say the tests came back negative.