PDA

View Full Version : Burns Vs Science Plan??

Molly's Mum
21-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Hi Everyone,

Well I haven't been on for a few days but I've heard lots of rumours about Science Plan being well.......RUBBISH! :roll:
After hearing this along with that there is "hardly any meat/fish in there food" I decided to order a couple of samples of Burns which I got through the post on Wednesday :D ;)
I started to mix a little bit in with her Science plan and she seemed to enjoy it as she was eating it! I just wondered what are your cats fed on? Also how should I carry on weaning her if you agree with burns?
She has alot of fluff so it's hard to tell her weight but how much should she be having as we leave it down all day and top it up when empty the next morning as it's a dry food......

Thanks,
Haz xx :D

Donna
21-10-2006, 09:42 PM
I use Burns Nutrition and have no complaints from my two. One was a very fussy eater until I started her on this food for picking at in the day (she has wet food too).

yola
21-10-2006, 09:53 PM
I don't have any experience of this food - sorry. I use Royal Canin and have on occasions used James Wellbeloved . . . but you can usually see the meat content in the ingredients.

As to quantity? I've always free-fed mine dry food from kittenhood and none of the cats are either over- or under-weight (aged 10, 9 and 5 years now).

Elaine
21-10-2006, 11:29 PM
I normally use Royal Canin but am at the moment using Hills Sensitive Stomache as Eva had an upset tummy last week and I find the Hills tends to agree with her more after feeling icky.
Having just completed a Hills Nutrition Counsellor Course for work, Here are some of the things that they say.
Hill's Science Plan, in contrast to many commercial brands, uses "fixed" formulations. The only time Hills changes formulas is when research discovers new evidence or information that will improve a formula. Hills beleives this is the best way to rpovide proper, constant nutrition.
Highly digestable Ingredients, Science Plan uses only the most digestable ingredients available, and in many cases has developed processes to enhance digestibility of existing ingredients. For example, poultry by-product meal is an excellent source of protein, but in its original form is much too high in indigestible bone and residue. Hills processes this poultry by-product meal further to screen out the undesirable bone and minerals, so only the valuable protein remains.
Factual Labelling Practices, Hills uses only the facts on their labels. You can predict what ingredient will apear first on a label based on what the that particular Science Plan product is designed to do. For example, in a high energy formula such as Canine Performance, food for dogs with an increased caloric requirement, an energy source, corn, is the first on the label.
High Protein formulas such as Feline Growth food for kittens with increased protein requirements, contain a protein source, poultry by-product meal, as the first ingredient. Hills is proud of its extensive research and does not use gimmicks to manipulate the ingredient listing on its pet food labels.

sweetmimi
22-10-2006, 09:44 AM
I use Burns and it is brilliant and the one thing I do like about it is that they do not test on animals That is the one reason that I would not touch Hills Science Plan.
If you want to change to Burns just lower the food that you are giving now and keep adding more Burns and less of the other food gradually so they dont get upset tummies.

dinahsmum
22-10-2006, 11:04 AM
I rate Burns very highly. Haven't tried the other one, so can't comment.
Burns also run a very good response unit if you have questions about your pet and its nutrition/health. Just email in from the site

Booktigger
22-10-2006, 11:43 AM
i personally dont feed either, I got samples of Burns to try, and they liked it, but the grain content is 42-46% depending on which flavour you have, and that to me is too high so I wont use it. i can get HiLife biscuits for the same price - less meat than Burns, but also less rice. When I got sample bags of Hills, the meat content was poor (could have got higher from supermarket brands), and was quite high down the list.

Kim
22-10-2006, 02:35 PM
I also rate Burns very highly indeed, unfortunately my lot prefer Royal Canin, so that is what I feed. However, in my humble opinion I think Burns is much better than Hills.

logoes
22-10-2006, 03:34 PM
I feed India on James Wellbeloved, I liked it for the dogs, they always did well on it. But she does have a lot of pouched food and cat milk as with her lack of teeth I think it easier for her. She had been on Burns at the rescue but wouldn't touch it when I got some for her!! Still that's cats for you. Logoes

lisa0307
26-10-2006, 04:44 PM
Burns all the way...wouldn't touch JWB or Hills as they test on animals. Hills also label their ingredients as "derivatives" this could be anything from beaks to feathers etc...not as nutritional as Burns.

Booktigger
26-10-2006, 10:27 PM
JWB dont' actually test on animals - their parent company do, but statements have been issued to say that they have no plans to follow suit.

Kim
26-10-2006, 11:48 PM
Hmm, I thought that too. When I was at the Supreme Cat Show a few years back, they promoted their food by saying they didn't test on animals, so I was surprised to hear that they now do. Thanks for putting it straight as Caleb has JWB to 'graze' on during the day.

lisa0307
27-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Aren't JWB now owned by Pedigree Master Foods...they test on animals so that's enough for me not to buy their product...pity they sold out to a company like that. Still Burns don't test on animals and their pet food contains proper meat not derivatives.

http://www.uncaged.co.uk/petfood.htm

It says of the pet food to avoid and JWB is one of them...

Kim
27-10-2006, 05:08 PM
Have just looked at my pack and it says Crown Pet Foods, Yeovil, Somerset. Pedigree Masterfoods not mentioned. :? Also no 'Animal derivatives' in the ingredients list either! :-D

lisa0307
27-10-2006, 05:21 PM
The majority of pet food brands available in the UK are produced by two animal testing companies - "Nestlé Purina/Friskies" and "Pedigree, Masterfoods (Mars Inc)."

Nestlé Purina/Friskies: Alpo, Bonio, Felix, Go Cat, Gourmet, Omega Complete, Proplan, Spillers, Vital Balance, Winalot.
Pedigree, Masterfoods (Mars Inc): Bounce, Cesar, Chappie, Frolic, James Wellbeloved, Katkins, Kitekat, Pal, Pedigree Chum, Royal Canin, Sheba, Techni-cal (US & Canada), Whiskas. Pedigree also manufacture Thomas rabbit food and Trill bird food.If JWB is so eager to stand by it's claims that they don't test on animals then why have they not signed up to the BUAV No Animal Testing Standard, Burns have. This means they cannot or will not ensure that their products do not contribute to harmful systematic testing processes. Click on the link, scroll down and read what Uncaged say..

http://www.uncaged.co.uk/petfood.htm