PDA

View Full Version : Badly treated kittens

alexgirl73
21-10-2006, 02:08 PM
I'm wondring what your opinion on this is. I know of a little kitten in my street that wanders all around here every day. I reckon he is around 4 1/2 months old. He is such a skinny little thing (and I know one of my neighbours is sneaking him food). He is out in all weathers and have no idea who's cat he actually is. He does have a collar on (if you can call it that). I have a friend whos relative is on the lookout for a grey cat (he's grey with beautiful green eyes), now do I help arrange for this little kit to 'disappear' to a home where he will be loved or leave him in his owners 'care'. I take it the owner is the same person who has his mother who is a tortie who wanders about (and this is her second litter of kittens since I moved here less than a year ago). I want to go with my gut feeling here but am undecided. Opinions please.:?

dinahsmum
21-10-2006, 02:30 PM
Go for it.
Don't let anyone see you.
If challenged later say 'what - but he was a stray. You saw the condition he was in'. Take pics of him when you kidnap him, just in case there is any comeback (there won't be).

yola
21-10-2006, 04:10 PM
This is a very difficult subject matter. It could be that the kitten is naturally slender and not neglected at all. However, you're there and witnessing the situation 1st hand.

I hesitated several years ago when faced with a similar dilemma; tiny, boney cat owned by a herion-addict woman on the next street. I sought opinions from CP and RSPCA both of whom said I had no right to take it. I left it, and never saw it again (it did really seem in a bad way). I regret this hesitation for ever. :(

So I'd say, go with what your gut instinct tells you.

Booktigger
21-10-2006, 06:00 PM
This is a very tricky situation, as it is illegal, and it is something I have moral issues with - I would love for one of my neighbours cats to 'disappear'. The other prob is that these kind of people generally just go and get another to replace it.

Donna
21-10-2006, 07:09 PM
I was faced with a similar situation a while ago at work. A kitten was "owned" by a girl upstairs in a flat but she was left to wander with no collar and by busy main roads. I didnt do anything as my work colleagues said I would of been a thief.

Unfortunately this poor kitten disappeared. I just hope she was picked up by a kind stranger, and not killed on the main road :-(

Looking back I wish I had now taken her.

John
21-10-2006, 08:29 PM
I had the same situation a few years ago..two cats were out in all winds and weathers ..as I was going out one day,I stopped and smoothed one, it was very thin.I thought if I see it on my way home I would pick it up and give it a home..I never seen them again..
I would say go for it .because if something happens to them later you would probably regret not doing anything as I have.

john

binza
21-10-2006, 10:34 PM
hi Alex
as far as im concerned if you feel that the kitten is not being treated properly do what you have todo because i missed out on a chance on doing this trying to save its life in away and i ended up seeing it getting run over. i was going to grab it and take it to my sisters but i left it all to late now i feel guilty because it would of been in a warm and caring home instead it as either been put to sleep or taken to some rescue place. do what your heart tells you only you know its right.
tracy

Moli
22-10-2006, 11:16 AM
I would got for it too Alex, something I did a few years ago, similar situation...

alexgirl73
22-10-2006, 01:12 PM
I have made up my mind to do somethig about this, but at the moment I need to wait on my friend coming back from her sister with a reply. If they decide they dont want it, then I will re-revaluate then and come up with another course of action. I would love to take it on myself but OH would have a fit, lol, so I will probably just feed it on a regular basis instead and try to provide a little shelter somewhere in my garden.

Kim
22-10-2006, 02:32 PM
Quite a dilemma, but if you really do feel he/she is neglected, then I would say fo for it!

teenytiny
26-11-2006, 03:28 AM
The thing there is...if you help moggy to disappear you risk the owners getting another to replace the one thats 'gone missing'. Also look at the fact is the kitten naturally thin or is it not being fed properly?

I have rescued a cat that was neglected, and a friend of mine had it, but even though it has the best home in the world now...and eats like a horse....it is still very thin :?

I would go with your gut feeling, only you can decide what you think is the right decision. Good luck ;)

Naomi
26-11-2006, 07:56 PM
I'd personally leave well alone as it's obviously owned by someone as it's wearing a collar.

Rosie
27-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Go for it poor little mite should be tucked up in front of the telly not wandering the streets at his/her age. A collar does not make a good owner either and definitely doesn't give them the right to neglect the little one. Alfie and Rosie don't wear collars (microchipped) because I worry about they getting trapped.

kado
29-11-2006, 12:20 AM
I would do it too. We rescued our second cat from a person we knew. We looked after him on bonfirenight last year and i wouldnt let him go back. He was in the early stages of cat flu and was covered in cat pooh. Wasnt properley litter trained within two days hes was. Just go for it you would proberly save its life.

CathyW
30-11-2006, 06:47 PM
my reggies a thin cat. but eats very well, just dont put on weight, hes also got a spot on the back of his head from where ronnie bit him. so if u are going to to it just be carefull, u dont want to be done for it.

stompin_sarah
18-01-2007, 01:13 PM
i would take it to the rspca as a stray......then if the owner does think anything of the cat she would ring them and get it back......if the owner doesnt get it back then you know you did the right thing!

charliebubs
18-01-2007, 02:11 PM
That's a tough one Alex, but I would go with your gut. Personally I think I would save it, but then there is the worry of the owners just going to get another kitten and the same thing happening.

Could you not report the owners to the RSPCA for neglect and let them deal with it instead?

I had a bit of a dilemma with that stray that was coming into my house; what if he wasn't a stray and I caught him and shipped him off to Wood Green? But in the end I decided that it was for his own good as he was so skinny and an entire male. (He didn't have a collar on and I still haven't caught him - in fact haven't seen him for a few days)

alexgirl73
18-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Strange that this was brought up again as I've just been talking to one of the people who took one of the kittens. from what evidence we have gathered these cats were all feral and have since rehomed 2 of them and desperatley trying to catch the 3 that are still running about!! The 2 that have been rehomed are very happy now, litter trained and spayed. One was named Isis and the other Cleopatra!!