PDA

View Full Version : Dogs that chew?

Kazz
20-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Never had any experience of a dog that chews, (pups teething not withstanding) a neighbour tonight was standing outside her house crying - sobbing she has a Stafford X who is about 4 years old and he chews, chews everything and anything; the shed outside, fence panels, doors (holes straight through) kitchen cupboards, flooring (carpets, lino, laminate) clothes, books, CD's, sofas everything she took me inside (the lounge he had ripped to shreds, 3 x cushions and the rug she had only answered the phone in the kitchen and he ripped them up while she was in the next room.
He is crated when they are out and night but any random moment he chews. Is there a cure?
He is not "bored" he is walked, off lead and on, new places new things to smell has access to the garden most of the day and his toys, he does have a "tyre attached to an old tree outside.
He doesn't chew when they are in the room but oce they step outside he thinks he has cart blanch to chew anything and everything.
They have tried, ignoring him, telling him off catching him in the act, gievn him toys, expelled him from the room, even a pepper substance "chilli" I think smeared on the door and skirting board (he just chewed round it.
Karen

logoes
20-10-2006, 10:42 PM
Has he always done this or is it something that started slowly and gradually built up or did it start at a specific time - had he been in kennels, had thay had visitors, another dog in the house or whatever.

Have they had his mouth/teeth checked,

It sounds like something that might have started as separation anxiety and has now just become a (very) bad habit., if the latter I think they are going to need professional help - well they probably do anyway.

OK so professional help does cost, but so does having to repair all the damage he is doing. Sorry I can't really come up with a solution, it seems as though they have tried most things. Kath

logoes
20-10-2006, 10:44 PM
You may get more help from sister site Dogsey, there are more experienced people over there. Logoes

Moli
20-10-2006, 10:47 PM
I had the sam problem with Tara, She is the first staffie I have had that was a chewer, but she did it even if we were in the same room!! We discovered, 2 of her front teeth were coming through the roof of her mouth, and her mouth was sore, even though she had toys and chews, she still chewed skirting boards etc...

dinahsmum
21-10-2006, 08:47 AM
That's just awful!
Suppose they've tried a basket muzzle? Doesn't seen very 'PC' but it's better than having a shredded house or a dog pts or in rescue for ever.
Poor things :(

Kim
21-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Oh dear, how sad, they must be at the end of their tether. No suggestions, I'm afraid, but agree professional help is needed as it is so severe.

When I came home yesterday Caleb had chewed a little of my daughters (fairly new) carpet and some of the underlay - what a mess! Managed to do a repair job today. He has got through 2 sky remotes as well! However, that is nothing compared to your poor neighbour Kazz. Hope she manages to get some good help.

Kazz
21-10-2006, 09:35 PM
First thanks for the replies,

I should have said they got him about 13 months ago he was "a latch key dog" so to speak, he was left wandering the streets where my neighbours husband - was working, but he "the dog" was petrified of fireworks, and his so called owners would not let him in the house. My neighbour took pity on him and when the job finished the dog came home with him. But he is a chewer, they now think maybe the reason his other owners wouldn't let him in the house.
They have tried crating him but he is petrified they believe "with good reason" he was locked in a "cupboard" approx 20" x 24 x 20 in the porch for hours if not days on end so they although have a crate he won't go near it for love or money.
I will mention the "working theory" they have done an excellent job with housetraining and getting his confidence - but the chewing is "the big issue now" it could well be seperation anxiety or just plain nerves it took 4 months plus to get him used to the idea they weren't going to punish him when he "toilets" poor old lad. Yet he is so loving.

I wasn't aware of the "locking away" or toileting issues until today when I mentioned crating.

Looks to me with the "whole" story it could be seperation anixety I said to them what will you do if he continues to chew and in a better frame of mind today as she had calmed down she said "not buy anything decent" he trusts us now so we can't give up on him.

Kazz
21-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Whoa why did that come out so dark I didn't press B?????????? a fluke, or glitch maybe.

Elaine
22-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Thats such a damned shame for every one, the people and the poor doggy. I hope they can get the help they need and am so pleased they dont want to give up on the poor dog. Wishing them all the very best. xxx

Kim
22-10-2006, 02:26 PM
He sounds lovely Kazz and so sad what he has been through. I think your neighbours deserve a medal for what they have put up with - let's hope their patience and understanding is rewarded eventually.