PDA

View Full Version : had to take my cat to the vets today

bagpuss29
20-10-2006, 12:25 PM
my 9 year old cat hadnt moved of the chair in to days hasnt eaten or drank or gone to the toilet so i phoned them today and got her in this morning there is blood in her wee
they gave her to injections and was told to come back to morrow they have gaven me a serringe to feed her water but i cant get it any where near her has any one got any tips on how to do it
thanks
jane

dinahsmum
20-10-2006, 01:09 PM
What a worry for you. I hope she'll be OK and am sure the medications will help.
As for giving her fluids. If you take her on your lap you might be able just to lift her lip at the side and introduce a little warmed water with the syringe. If she won't let you hold her then wrap her in a strong cloth (towel maybe) and pop some water in. Only a tiny amount at a time, so it doesn't go down the wrong hole.
You may find that if you can just get the inside of her mouth moist again she will take a drink for herself.
Good luck

Mags
20-10-2006, 01:20 PM
I had to give my previous cat fluids with a syringe and as DM has said, give it through the side of your cat's mouth. I used to find that with just the touch of the syringe at the (rear) side of the mouth, he used to open his mouth just enough to get a drop or two of water in....

Good luck.....please let us know how you get on...

binza
20-10-2006, 05:40 PM
hi bagpuss
how old is your cat?
tracy