PDA

View Full Version : Fleas!!and worming advice...

JBalways2000
17-10-2006, 06:57 PM
i decided it was about time i made a seperate thread about this subject(see my "They'r here!" post in general)

ive just came back from the vets-the boys dont have ear mites and ive been given some panacur powder to worm them with-any advice on how to give them this and make sure they eat it all?

so i mentioned fleas-he got out the flea comb and ALOT of flea dirt came off of AJ, a bit less off Raven. he told me that i should treat the house, to which i told him that i had small animals and fish and it would be impossible for me to take them all out the house. he then asked me where id been keeping the boys, and i told him downstairs-he said i should be ok to just treat downstairs. He also told me something which im hoping is rubbish-he said that they will need another 2 or 3 treatments of frontline before the fleas are gone fully, and that i shouldnt let them go upstairs until then:shock: surely that cant be right? it just doesnt make sense!! if ive treated them with frontline, then that will kill any adult fleas that bite-if i treat my home(or downstairs anyway) then that will kill adults for upto a week(according to the can) and eggs and larvae for upto 12 months! so why on earth is it going to take 2-3 months for them to be flea free and ok to venture upstairs??

he also told me that my rabbits can catch cat fleas-is that true? i have four indoor bunnies so im quite worried about that. im really stressing out now as i hate the thought of nasties crawling on my babies and in my house, and im so upset at the thought of not being able to bring them upstairs for 3 months:( please someone tell me hes wrong. id appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.

:(

dinahsmum
18-10-2006, 11:40 AM
I wonder if the vet realised what a short time the kits had been in the house and that they had been confined to a smallish space.
I'd go with your instincts on this and don't stress.

JBalways2000
18-10-2006, 05:07 PM
i did tell the vet that i treated them within minutes of being in the house:? oh well, i can scrap all those questions and just treat the whole house-the boys escaped from their pen last night and had a whale of a time running all over the house(luckily the door was shut on the room where i keep my small animals) their favourite place to sleep now is under our bed:lol: they also knew how to get onto the settee and bed a little too good!!so will be giving the place a thorough clean and spray tomorrow!!

i will probably get some treatment for the buns and my guinea pig though as im aware that cat fleas can live on them also:? my guinea pig is quite old so lives in our bedroom-the kittens are absolutely fascinated by him!:lol: the do get scared when he wheeks though!:shock: :lol:

because theyve been all over the house now, im wondering if flea sprays just do floors/skirting etc or if they get on everything when sprayed? just because they had a great time playing on the TV unit last night and knocking all the remotes everywhere and of course the bookcases, CD unit...you get the idea!! so wondering if i need to directly spray the can onto a certain area for it to work, or if it spreads? sorry if thats a silly question!