PDA

View Full Version : Tips to ease mild constipation please

dinahsmum
15-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Well, I sent Mini off to kennels with tons of her special low-protein food to last the week we were away but I think they overfed her as none came back. She came back very fat (but very content!). She is paying for it now as she is straining to poop.
So, given that she is supposed to eat almost exclusively her renal diet, have you any tips for gentle and unspectacular resolution of her problem?
I've got a piece of salmon for my meal, so i was going to give her the skin mashed into some potato and with a little drop of olive oil. (Vet said that if she is to have 'treats' it should be low-class protein, fish skin, chicken skin etc, rather than prime muscle)
She enjoys the pet fountain, so i don't think I can get her to drink any more than she already does.
Any suggestions?

EmmaG
15-10-2006, 11:42 AM
I would mix a bit of water in her food as this will help a little bit.

Mags
15-10-2006, 11:53 AM
When my dear old Sam was confined after his accident, he was constipated and the vet told me to add a few drops of liquid paraffin to his meals........it worked very gentle on him....

Moli
15-10-2006, 12:47 PM
I use Katalax for that problem DM, its for fur balls, I just put a little bit on the top of the paw, they lick it off, seems to help with constipation...

Elaine
15-10-2006, 06:43 PM
I used to use slippery elm bark with Winston on a daily basis to help with his digestive tract and constipation by making a syrup with it, this also helped to give him a little extra fluids.
Part of the issue with CRF cats is that they are prone to dehydration as you know and because of that their bodies tend to extract all the fluids it can from all available sources within the body including the bowel.
When Winston was especially bunged up, I would use varying things to get him to go. Oily fish, a little melted butter, extra fluids in his meals, katalax and if any or all of those failed I would use a little lactulose.
I hope some of that helps and I dont mean to teach granny to suck eggs. LOL xxx

dinahsmum
15-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Thanks Elaine - thanks everyone.
We'll see what tomorrow brings. I've just tried the oil for today - hope that will sort it.

Kazz
15-10-2006, 06:49 PM
I find as Cleo is a proper tomato sauce lover :) sardines in tom sauce or just the sauce with a little of the sardine mashed in.
Hope something works DM and she feels a little better.

Elaine
17-10-2006, 08:25 AM
How is Mini and her constipation issue DM?

dinahsmum
17-10-2006, 08:46 AM
Much more comfortable thanks Elaine

Elaine
17-10-2006, 09:23 AM
Bless her, I am pleased xxx