PDA

View Full Version : Whiskers - torties, tortie and whites ?

dandysmom
13-10-2006, 02:41 AM
What color are their whiskers usually? My tortie had black whiskers, notice that Luke's Clementine has black ones also; the tortie and whites on here that come immediately to mind, Cassie, Chloe have white whiskers. So, do all tortie and whites have white ones, and torties black ones? What have you all noticed...???

Sweet
13-10-2006, 07:40 AM
I have Violet and Mabel who are both Tortie and Whites they both have white whiskers x

Mags
13-10-2006, 08:31 AM
Cassie is predominantly white all down her front and underside and she has white whiskers.........

dinahsmum
13-10-2006, 08:39 AM
Tizzie was dark tortie and had black whiskers (whipsters, when my daughter was little - we still say it now :? )
Looks like you've hit on a colouration rule there DM (or, as you found it, you can name it, so it'll be coloration! :) )

Samz5
13-10-2006, 02:23 PM
My tortie and white Mitz has white whiskers
My brothers tortie and white Hooch has white whiskers & my brothers other Tortie Marla has black whiskers, looks like there is a pattern forming.

yola
13-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Yup - just checked the picture of my Mum's tortie n white and she too has white whiskers.

Well observed Eileen!!

Donna
13-10-2006, 04:54 PM
Very observant Eileen. My Chloe is all white underneath on her tummy up to her chin and then in splodges down her legs and her whiskers are all white!!

dandysmom
13-10-2006, 07:54 PM
So, does look as if whatever genetic pattern includes the white also gives white whiskers, then! If anwone has a tortie with white ones, would love to hear about it!! I slogged through thaat long article on tri-colored cats & genetics but found nothing about whiskers...I think we may have hit on somethingg here!

Luke
13-10-2006, 07:55 PM
Very true..Clementine has dark whiskers, whereas Megan-the tort n white part orient, once wanderous lass has lots of mixed colour whiskers!!

Tom
13-10-2006, 08:03 PM
I always thought they were white but im not very clever with kitty breeds, colours etc hehe!

Tom

Naomi
13-10-2006, 08:06 PM
My inlaws tortie's have dark whiskers yet their oldest cat, (died last year or year before) was a tortie and white and she had white whiskers

dandysmom
13-10-2006, 09:04 PM
A lot of anecdotal evidencer but seems that torties have black whiskers & T & W's have white! Wonder if anyone has an exception?

Samz5
22-01-2007, 09:04 PM
I'm dragging this thread back up because I saw an exception to this rule, a couple of weeks ago I met a tortie (no white at all) who was really friendly, she had all black whiskers except for 1 single whisker was white!

dandysmom
22-01-2007, 09:13 PM
Oh Sam, I should have mentioned that very occasionally a black-whiskered tortie will have one white one: my Patches did; used to kid her that she was getting old and needed a dye job!