PDA

View Full Version : Kitten list!!

JBalways2000
13-10-2006, 01:29 AM
right, im off to the pet shop tomorrow as im getting my boys on monday:D :D :D VERY excited, but definately panicing! i want to make sure i have all the essentials before they come here so was wondering if someone could help me with a list of things i need to get?

so far i have:
basket with blankets,
a pop up play tent,
cat scratcher with attached house,
comfy cat bed,
small open litter tray.

the things i think i need to get are:
FOOD:p
dishes(3 or 4 as its 2 kittens im getting)
cat litter(will any type do for kittys?)
grooming brush/comb
kitten shampoo
toothbrush and toothpaste
treats
and of course some toys!:D

have i missed anything off the list? they will be indoor cats, so i dont think theres a rush for me to get tags and collars etc. im also wondering how long to wait before bringing them to the vets? i know they will be wormed before comming to me, but they wont be flead which is something else im panicing about:? she assures me they havnt got fleas, but its not something il be 100% certain of until i get the little chaps!

any help and advice to put a jittery new kitten owner at ease is much welcome!:lol:

Sweet
13-10-2006, 07:44 AM
A Poopy Scoopy ;).

Exciting time for you, its the best time ever x

dinahsmum
13-10-2006, 08:46 AM
Exciting times - I had 2 earlier in the summer and it was great fun ... still is of course!

Your list looks fine but on the vet question, I'd take them straight away(ish; maybe give them a day or two to settle and to let you watch them and be sure there's nothing you are worried about). They'll get the once over (sure they're fine but it's nice to be reassured) and your vet will also put on the first 'spot' treatment for fleas, worms and ear mites.

Looking forward to hearing more, seeing their pics etc etc

Rosie
13-10-2006, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't even bother with small litter trays. I got one for Alfie and it was too small by the time he was 12 weeks. Also I love the wood based cat litter because all the poops went straight down the lo and there was no smell at all.

alexgirl73
13-10-2006, 09:40 AM
Just lots and lots of LOVE! Have fun shopping!

random
13-10-2006, 10:42 AM
Congratulations! Your list looks fine to me, and don't worry ;)

And I agree with DM, first vets visit asap :D

Oh and charged up camera batteries! ;)

Naomi
13-10-2006, 10:56 AM
List looks fine altho my kittens weren't ones for cat beds and blankets, more like clean laundry or your lap :D

Hreow
13-10-2006, 01:08 PM
Stick with the cat-litter they are used to. Helps them find the loo and recognise it. :-) You can change to another one gradually, if you don't like it for some reason.
Claw-clippers?
I would also get the collars soon, though perhaps not from the pet-shop. You'd want to get your kittens used to a collar, even though you're not planning on letting them out. You have to consider the chance of them escaping, and you may want to let them out at a later date - easier to train kittens.

Mags
13-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Plasters for when they start climbing up the backs of your legs......those little claws are really sharp!!

JBalways2000
13-10-2006, 08:42 PM
Thankyou for all your replies:D went to the pet shop today and got everything on my list except the litter-because i dont know what one they are on at the moment so will have to find out and then get some. the man at the pet shop said theres a type of litter that clumps into a ball when pee'd on so you can just flush it down the toilet-anyone know what litter hes talking about? if so, is it as good as he said?

i was thinking of taking the kittens to the vet the same day i get them-would that be ok? my thinking was that if i bring them straight there before going home with them and get it out the way, then they will have a couple of weeks to relax after that and get used to everything until theyl be back for their second vaccination. does that sound ok? im also wanting them checked over and treated for fleas etc ASAP so thought this would be best. does anyone know how long the flea/worming treatments take to work? if they had fleas and were treated ASAP, would i still need to treat my house incase some come home with them? sorry for all the flea questions, im just really bothered by things like that:oops:

can they be vaccinated at 8 weeks old? i think i read 9 weeks, but would 8 weeks be ok? i was also told at the vets that they either use advantage which just treats fleas, or advocate which treats fleas, mites and some worms. does anyone use either of these? would it be better to go for the advocate? the lady im getting the kittens from told me she wormed them this week and they wont need doing again for another 3 1/2 weeks, but i dont think thats true is it?

sorry for such a huge post:oops: i do have some questions about the food i bought, but il leave them for my other thread in diet and nutrition:lol:

Tom
13-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Hi there and welcome! (sorry i didn't see your welcome thread)

You are very excited about you kittens hehe.
I found this on the net is this what the man in the pet shop was talking about??
Here (http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp?dept_id=45&pf_id=4405)
Tom :)

JBalways2000
13-10-2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks for that-i think that might be what he was talking about, think il ring him tomorrow and ask so i know for sure. seems expensive for litter though! :shock: but i suppose if it works as well as it says it does then it might be worth it.

im definately excited-VERY excited! when we were talking about them in the shop, and buying them things it just became so real. it sunk in that we were finally getting kitties:D

oh-this might be a stupid question, but how many litter trays will they need? :oops: should they have one each? and if so, should they have more then one each? i think i have 2 small litter trays here and im hoping they will do for now. should i clean it out every time they go the toilet, or just once a day?(ive read both of these so not sure which is right)

oh-just thought of another question(sorry, you'l all be sick of me by monday! but i promise to post lots of piccies to make up for all the questions:D ) im wondering where they should go at night? our kitchen and bathroom are both freezing and have no heating in so cant close them in there(not that id want to!) so i was thinking of setting up a pen outside our bedroom door for them-that sound ok? i sound stupid asking questions like this:oops: but do they need to be closed in somewhere at night while they'r small kittens?

im sure il think of more questions before long:lol:

JBalways2000
13-10-2006, 11:08 PM
right, just found out that shes using morrisons cat litter-havnt got a morrisons by me so will have to just get something similar:? anyone know what sort of cat litter it is, and what would be the best substitute for it?

(sorry-more questions!!:oops: )

dinahsmum
14-10-2006, 09:00 AM
Just use whatever litter you want to but take along a good strong plastic bag and a scoop and bring back a couple of handfuls of their current (used) litter. Sprinkle it on their new litter trays at your house and they will be happy to follow their usual scent. One wee on the augmented new stuff and it's familiar to them.

JBalways2000
14-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the tip! she says she uses grit litter, so il try and get something similar today.

ive been on the phone to the vets and booked them in for monday evening to have a check over and be deflead/wormed(and start vaccinations the following week). now, the lady im getting them off said she has wormed them using a paste-anyone know what that could be? she said she couldnt remember the brand(which sounds a little dodgy to me!! incase you havnt realised yet, the boys are comming from an "accidental" litter:roll: i just hope she gets their poor mother spayed now!! i havnt even met the kittens yet-will be my first time seeing them in the flesh on monday!:shock: ) would it be wise to get them wormed again at the vets on monday?

im sooooo excited, but im such a worry wort that i wont let myself relax and enjoy the feeling because i just want everything to be ready and perfect for them-and of course i want myself as prepared as i can be!:lol: