PDA

View Full Version : Out of ideas now!

alexgirl73
12-10-2006, 07:57 PM
I am at my wits end here now. As you probably know, on the advice of the vet we have tried feeding Teddy and Cooper on adult food and Coop has had no probs in 2 days, nice normal stools. Teddy however is still running (after one normal) and is back to squirting out the back end. I have tried RC kitten, asda kitten, whiskas kitten , HiLife, and boiled ckicken and rice. What now!??????

He seems happy enough (though it's hard to tell with that wee grumpy face), eats and drinks no probs. Plays with Cooper and seems to be growing. It is just the rear end which is causing all the worry. At the moment I simply can't afford any vets fees for tests and antibiotics so I don't know what else to try. Any, no matter how nutty, suggestions!

yola
12-10-2006, 08:07 PM
Have you tried starving him for 12 hours? Maybe he just needs to get some bug out of his system rather than it being food-related.

dandysmom
12-10-2006, 08:12 PM
Hadn't thought of that, Yola but it makes sense! It's recommeded for people when we have diarrhea....Will Teddy eat a little cheese, sometimes that can be binding....

alexgirl73
12-10-2006, 08:26 PM
Well yola I give him his last meal around 7pm and he doesn't get his next one until 7.30 am, so that is 12 hours. I might try leaving him until mid-day tomorrow and see if that helps.

Dm- never tried that so he is tucking into some cheese as we speak. How much do you think I should give him?

Elaine
12-10-2006, 08:35 PM
You may also want to do some research on the use of slippery elm bark and discuss your findings with your vet before using it. Its very good for helping with both runny tums and constipation. I used to use it to help my old boy with his constipation. He had CRF so the link I will find and post is from the CRF site. Always worth a little investigation though.

Elaine
12-10-2006, 08:36 PM
http://www.felinecrf.org/holistic_treatments.htm#SEB

alexgirl73
12-10-2006, 08:40 PM
Thanks Elaine, someone else mentioned slippery elm bark before and I was going to get some but he seemed to improve for a little while and I forgot about it. Will check out the link thanks!

dandysmom
12-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Well yola I give him his last meal around 7pm and he doesn't get his next one until 7.30 am, so that is 12 hours. I might try leaving him until mid-day tomorrow and see if that helps.

Dm- never tried that so he is tucking into some cheese as we speak. How much do you think I should give him?
Gosh, really don't know! He's a little fellow, wouldn't give him more than one or two bites; I never used cheese for the runs for mine as I was fortunate they never had that problem :roll: cheese was a treat for them.

Donna
12-10-2006, 10:13 PM
Misty always has the runs when I give her cheese (although she does love it) so be careful. If it was my cat I would just stop all cat food completely. Leave as long a break as I could - 24 hours being the best - and then just plain steamed cod or plain chicken.

You are not giving them milk at all are you as this causes diarreah in a lot of cats?

dinahsmum
13-10-2006, 08:42 AM
It was me who mentioned slippery elm before. You can get it direct from Dorwest but I found this link which also gives indications and dosage http://www.veggiepets.com/acatalog/dorwest_herbs_tree_barks_powder.html

alexgirl73
13-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Misty always has the runs when I give her cheese (although she does love it) so be careful. If it was my cat I would just stop all cat food completely. Leave as long a break as I could - 24 hours being the best - and then just plain steamed cod or plain chicken.

You are not giving them milk at all are you as this causes diarreah in a lot of cats?

I haven't tried 24 hours, if no better by tomorrow will give that a try. Re the chicken, i have done that with him but the probs come as soon as we try to reinttroduce normal cat food. Definately not giving them milk!

Donna
13-10-2006, 05:07 PM
So solution is = feed them fish and chicken and not cat food!!!

I buy the blocks of frozen cod from the supermarket that you can steam from frozen in the microwave. Cooks in 4 minutes and a perfect size meal.

alexgirl73
13-10-2006, 05:11 PM
So solution is = feed them fish and chicken and not cat food!!!

I buy the blocks of frozen cod from the supermarket that you can steam from frozen in the microwave. Cooks in 4 minutes and a perfect size meal.

LOL, Donna. I've already gone out and bought a load of chicken breast and rice. I'll get some fish on monday. As we're going away next week I've already arranged for a friend (fellow cat lover) to come in and look after the boys next week and I didn't want to leave her with the prob of dodgy tums, so she'll feed them that the week we are away. However, I can't keep them on that as the my oldest cat Broxi is quite happy on his whiskas and Cooper keeps trying to nick his food, so they will all have to be on the same food eventually, also I believe in giving them dry food too and at the moment their stomachs can't tolerate it, so will have to be weaned on to that too at some later stage.