PDA

View Full Version : thinking about buying a cat lead

CathyW
08-10-2006, 05:36 PM
well a couple of them, we live in a first fllor flat and i know the boys miss going out, so i thouht if i got them a lead each, them OH n myself can take them in the communal garden for a sniff n wander around.obiously id put the harnesses on them in the flat for a few days so they can get used to the feeling. was gonna get those light weigh extending leads. let them have a little walk. do u think its a good idea or not?? and any advice would be great as well.

dandysmom
08-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Excellent idea! Most of mine have been leash-trained, most as kittens and one as an adult, and they took to it very well; enjoyed getting out to enjoy the sights and smells. You're right to get them used to it in the house for a few days. I've always used the soft nylon harnesses that have a loop for over the neck, then loop around behind the shoulders and under the tummy and then hook. hope this description is clear. Don't think the extensible leads are a good idea...too easy for the cat to get entangled in shrubbery or dash into someplace you don't want him/her to go. I have always used the ones where the leash part is about 4-5 feet long; you are in control that way; however, that's just my opinion. Please PM me if I can help with any questions....good luck!!

Kazz
08-10-2006, 09:04 PM
I was going to say can't see the extending ones being good cats and bushes (nah) but 4-5 ft long perfection, can't see why not.
A friend of mine lives in a upstairs flat and she has a set of "steps" up for William her cat he jumps up then across then up again. Surprising hw he gets in and out - they wouldn;t take the weight of a person at all just a cat :)
But when she lived where he couldn't go out as such then he went out on a lead and he was about 5-6 then so if old cats can learn new tricks kittens should be fine.

dandysmom
08-10-2006, 09:08 PM
Pastches was 1 1/2 when I rehomed her, and had been an outside cat; but caught on very quickly to the harness & enjoyed her outings very much! Another thing about a too-long leash....sometimes the cat will dart up a tree...with the shorter lead you can control how far up she goes! I had this happen often!

dandysmom
08-10-2006, 09:58 PM
I was trying to remember the name of the harnesses I used & couldn't. so Googled: they are called figure 8 harnesses, are adjustable (one size fits all) are made of very strong nylon, are washable, and come in many colors. Recommend them highly!

Naomi
09-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Timmy was using a Ferrett harness and lead but he's now progressed to the same type of harness as DM is talking about.

Timmy took to it straight away and loves to go out on his harness and lead :D

CathyW
09-10-2006, 12:34 PM
oh thanx ladies, ill invest in a pair of leads,i can just see OH n myself walking the cats LOL ill have to wait till the kids are at school as they would swamp the boys, and they dont do kids at all,every time a kid comes near them they do a runner.
they will have fun in the garden, they will make for the tree where the squrrels live i bet LOL oh well better go shopping this week.

Hreow
09-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Rover's on an extendible lead and in one of Kittycat Boutique's harnesses. You can stop the lead from extending (lockable brake-button) so you can have the length that is suitable for the environment. For the odd occasion that he does manage to get the lead wrapped around something, I have a short lead or shoe-lace to attach him to while I disconnect the extendible and let it slither back the way it came. Re-attach, remove temporary lead and off we go again. He's actually very good about staying on the right side of cars (parked close to fence), trees and posts and has learned how much space I need to scramble along at his speed. I like the extendible lead because the cord is much lighter than a tape lead and I can decide whether to leave him 5-7 m of lead, or heal-command length without wrapping myself like a parcel in the latter case. :-)
More here:
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=15820 (http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=15820&highlight=rover+harness+lead)
The model (ensemble halfway down page 2):
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=15545
And the recommendations-thread:
http://www.catsey.com/showthread.php?t=15432