PDA

View Full Version : Query on FIV/FeLV test

Booktigger
06-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Following on from my thread on Tiger, has anyone ever had a test sent to Glasgow for the above and been told that they had to be pre-starved for it?? That is what my vet told me today, and I did query her, but was told that any food in the blood affects the fattiness - but they are only testing for FIV/FeLV, so why would that matter?? Any thoughts or expereinces?

hamish
06-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Hi

My cat emi was tested at Glasgow when my vets took blood for an FIV test. There was no mention of her having to be starved before hand, however she had already been hospitilised at the vets for two days, and was on a drip as well. I dont think she had been starved before hand, but if you like i can speak to my vet and ask about starvation, I am a regular at the surgery anyway.

smudgley
09-10-2006, 01:17 PM
Hi - I regularly take cats to the vet to be FIV / FeLV tested. I have never been told to starve them for the test.

yola
09-10-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm certain that Ferdy wasn't starved before his tests.

Kazz
10-10-2006, 12:21 AM
Never heard of them being starved had my two tested when we had a loose/stray Tom who was rescued the tested and was positive the rescue contacted me and suggested getting my two tested as a precaution. They came back neg or clear but not starved that I recall.

Booktigger
11-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Well, Glasgow have said 'We would routinely take fasted blood samples for further analysis' Very surprising. Doesn't explain why they left her so long without food to take the blood sample though, i still feel it shoudl have been done a lot sooner.

Elaine
13-10-2006, 08:11 AM
When do you expect to get the results Des? Keeping everything crossed here xxx

Booktigger
13-10-2006, 09:24 PM
Hopefully Monday - as long as the vets sent it off on Mon - I managed to forget to ask on Tues with worrying over PEbbles.

Booktigger
18-10-2006, 01:25 PM
The FeLV result still isn't back, and I am not happy with the vets - they keep saying htey will chase it, but I have to ring them at certain times (Which is hard with working) - I feel they should be ringing me, as how am I supposed to know if she has got through or not??? I Can't understand why they are taking so long either, I thought they were good at getting them back?? Sooo frustrating having to wait, I have the next foster lined up, but she is only 15 weeks old, so dont want to bring her in if Tiger is FeLV+ (although FIV+ would be fine). Think I am going to start going back to my old vet, they seem to be more efficient at things like this, as they have more staff. Although she is a foster, so would have had to go to the rescues vet anyway.