PDA

View Full Version : Minature poodles anyone?

Kazz
30-09-2006, 07:41 PM
I know this a cat board but you never know;
Does anyone on here own or know anything about Miniature poodles?

Looking for first hand experience of them please.

I am aware a lot depends on their breeding and more so on their upbringing.

Do you need to be an experienced dog owner?
What are they like family wise? such as are they one man dogs?
What are they like with other pets
Would you class them suitable for a responsible 13 + 14 year old girls to walk - under supervision.
What are they like in general day to day living.
Realise of course they need need "doggy makeover" but would it be acceptable too keep the dog in a "puppy clip" smart but practicle.
Also I assume they would take to agility - being clever dogs.
Is there a big difference between dogs and bitches?
And is there a difference in the personalities of different colours?

Ta Karen

logoes
30-09-2006, 08:08 PM
I have met a lot of poodles, I must be honest and say that I prefer the Standard Poodle but then I do like bigger dogs.

Remember that they were originally bred as hunting/retrieving dogs,. Sorry can't help with breeders but a quick look in Dogs Today mag lists the phone nos. of several breed advice people.

Try looking at the Wikipedia site
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poodle

Hope this is of some help. Logoes

borderdawn
30-09-2006, 09:20 PM
I personally am not overstruck on Pot noodles. I have 2 in at present and they are a real pain, clingy, barky, nervy. I have however met some fantastic ones, game, energetic little dogs, full of fun. My mother had one and she was a star. Clip them how you like, wont make a bit of difference. They are not heavy dogs, so handling is not going to be an issue, but I wouldnt allow kids to walk dogs of any size, but if supervised as you say, then I see no reason why not. Agility, yes, loads do it, light, athletic animals, should be ideal.
Dawn.

Mags
01-10-2006, 10:19 AM
We owned two Miniature Poodles (at seperate times) years ago and I found them to be great dogs. The first one we had was black, full of bounce and fun and very friendly.
The next one we had was white, it still had the same friendly temperament and bounciness but I have to say it was more timid than the black one.

They are very intelligent dogs, have to be clipped regularly........and they don't shed their hair! Ours used to be clipped every 6 weeks, I didn't like the pom pom or lion look so it was a short back and sides all over for them. Their curly coats should be combed/brushed regularly to prevent knotting. They are very easy to train, if I gave mine a treat by hand I used to say dance and both would stand up on their back legs and twirl around!:D

Oh....and both poodles were male..

Have a look here Kazz, maybe some more helpful info for you click here (http://www.petplanet.co.uk/petplanet/breeds/Poodle_Miniature.htm)