PDA

View Full Version : Please dont ignore strays

Booktigger
28-09-2006, 01:31 PM
As some of you know, Ginger died today. Gingers story before me was quite a sad one, him and his brother were rehomed to a couple, who split up and the cats got split up, although they got to stay in the same neighbourhood. Ginger was the unlucky one, the people who took him on also split up after a while, and while he stayed with the man, he didnt really care for him, and he was rarely allowed in the house. Luckily, due to Gingers nature, he managed to win people round in regards to food and affection, and despite living outside for around 3 years, he never turned feral, and was well known and well loved. BUT, no one would give him more than food and affection, no one would contact a rescue to help or take him in, so he lived on the streets. I had seen him around and fussed him, but never realised he was a stray, partly due to the fact he was on the chubby side. When I got my second cat, my mum told me that he didnt have a home, so after a few days of deliberating, I picked him up - he was so affectionate that all i had to do was call his name, give him a quick fuss, and pop him in the carrier (that bit was the hardest part actually). When he got here, it was obvious that he needed a dental, as he couldnt eat properly. So, I truly wonder how much longer he would have had if he had stayed outside, esp as he was estimated at 11 (which works out wiht his brothers age). He had 4 years and a month here which he may never have had if he had been left on teh streets, so please dont ignore strays and think they will be fine, especially not at this time of year.

Moli
28-09-2006, 02:02 PM
You could almost be talking about Chancer BT...He has had years of being ignored and chased away...Like Ginger, he is so affectionate, all he wanted was for someone to love him....I count myself very lucky that he chose me to be his new mum....

yola
28-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Yes, my Ferdy (affectionately know as BlackCat before he joined us permenantly) was the same. Our so-called cat-loving neighbours would chase him away and another 'kind' soul used to throw stones at him (he and I had 'words' . . . ).

Ferdy, although FIV+ was the most loving adorable cat I have known, and brought us lots of cuddles, love and fun during his time with us.

Sometimes the most neglected end up being the most loving.

Emm
28-09-2006, 04:38 PM
it can be hard to get a cat charity to help you out with a stray cat though.
I'm still having no luck with poor Felix and although the local cat charity offered to help catch him and neuter him they were just going to release him back after all that. They have now given up trying to get him, they did make a comment about how healthy he looks - thats because I'm feeding him de-worming him de-fleaing him! I'm just hoping I can get him before winter sets in :(

Booktigger
28-09-2006, 05:29 PM
i am glad there are others that do help them - Ginger was one of the lucky ones and was taken off the streets while he was healthy enough to have 4 years, not all are that lucky.

alexgirl73
28-09-2006, 06:38 PM
There are so many cats on my streets around here but I have absolutely no idea if any of them are strays. I would take one in an instant if I knew (even though OH would have a fit), but when I say lots of cats, I mean LOTS. I've counted at least 20 different ones.

Booktigger
28-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Alex, is there no way of contacting neighbours etc to find out who (if any) these cats belong to??? Not all strays are as lucky as Ginger was, some get rescued and only have weeks/days in their new home before succumbing to things that could have been prevented/treated

Kazz
28-09-2006, 10:28 PM
I think it is hard to spot a stray as you say yourself,, you didn't know Ginger was a stray as he was on the chubby side.

It is hard, but I wouldn't turn a stray away.

Moli
28-09-2006, 10:47 PM
I have never seen many strays where we live, Chancer was the first one, what I do see though, are quite a few intire tom cats belonging to the farm....

alexgirl73
29-09-2006, 03:53 PM
It would be almost impossible BT. I live on quite a long road and nearly every household seems to have at least one cat.
When I do see one I wonder about, I usually put some food down for them and if they come over give them a little check to see how they are but most wont come near and those that do don't usually come back so I do what I can which is all any of us can really do.

Booktigger
29-09-2006, 10:23 PM
KAzz, the sad part with Ginger is that people knew he was a stray, but thought that feeding him was good enough - and while it was enough to keep him on the chubby side, it didn't stop his teeth being so bad he had to lick his food in his mouth cos he couldnt' eat properly - the little old dear just said 'I thought his eating looked odd' when she was told. So she was semi aware, but no one was willing to do anything about it.

Kazz
29-09-2006, 10:31 PM
KAzz, the sad part with Ginger is that people knew he was a stray, but thought that feeding him was good enough - and while it was enough to keep him on the chubby side, it didn't stop his teeth being so bad he had to lick his food in his mouth cos he couldnt' eat properly - the little old dear just said 'I thought his eating looked odd' when she was told. So she was semi aware, but no one was willing to do anything about it.

See I couldn't do nothing I would have to intervene I couldn't wait for someone else. Inaction is as bad as no action.

Booktigger
29-09-2006, 10:38 PM
WEll, I did as soon as I could after finding out he was a stray - when I lived in that area, the only time I saw him was when I was stood talking to my granddad, as Ginger loved to have a fuss off him, and recognised his car - even after living here, he would still come up to my granddads car if he was out when he dropped me off, so I just assumed he had an owner and just liked my granddad. It did take me 6 days after finding out he was a stray to picking him up, purely because 8 weeks previously I wasn't going to get one cat, so had to think about the cost etc of having 2, but everyone told me it wasn't that much more, so I went for it - and have never looked back since.

Kazz
29-09-2006, 10:39 PM
You do realise don't you I shall be out searching torch in hand for strays :)