PDA

View Full Version : Neutering advice please.

random
26-09-2006, 09:56 AM
I am planning to get all of the kittens done, Tucker is booked in for next week as our vet does boys at 5 months, but the girls have to be over 6 months of age. Which brings me to the question, sould I get one done at a time, and let them recover before getting another done, or should I get them all done at the same time?

I have 3 girls to get done, and my sister's kitten is a couple of weeks older and she will be due to get done the week after next. My girls still have just over another month to wait.

dinahsmum
26-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Well my boys were done last Friday. Bentley came home as if nothing had happened, Chester took till next day to be his normal self. I think he felt a little pain, as he had his tail 'droopy' for the remainder of the day.

On the girls, if you can afford it, I think I'd get them done at the same time. They can keep each other company whilst they're feeling a little sore and you shouldn't have the problem of a fit (either unspayed or spayed and recovered) kittie annoying/hurting a recently operated and slightly 'off' feeling girlie.

I haven't any experience of having more than one done at any time so I'll happily bow to anyone's better knowledge.

random
26-09-2006, 10:15 AM
I do have the money already reserved for each op so that's not a problem, it does sound like a good idea so as they don't annoy one another and can all recover together.

Patch
26-09-2006, 02:57 PM
I`m very suprised at your vet actually :shock: :shock:
Its usually boys at 6 months minimum but girls younger !!

When I have done feral round-ups for rescues, [ cats neutered then re-released ], queens are done from 3 months onward to minimise time in captivity.

Of my own bunch, any girls rescued as kittens were spayed at *5 months, boys at *6 months

*except one who was severely underdeveloped generally so he was not snipped until 10 months.
*my blind mog could not be done until she was 3 years old because of other health issues making her high anaesthetic risk.which needed to be resolved first.

Some info and resources for you if want second opinions to your vets [ which I would seriously advise really ].

http://www.catchat.org/neuter.html

Due to their arrival time with me, I did have 3 spayed at the same time and it worked well as they recovered at the same rates so did not have an unruly youngster trying to get them to play which can happen if done seperately among bonded housemates if you see what I mean - like they were all in the same boat as it were.
It also lessens upset at differing hormonal levels between them as the one spayed does not then get unsettled by a still entire in the group, and of course if done together they carry home the same mix of scents from being at the vets [ people / chemicals etc etc ] so they smell like each other to a large degree which makes continuing acceptance of each other easier. [ dont think I have explained that very well, having a blond AND senior day I think :roll: ].

Will try to clarify if needed of course

borderdawn
26-09-2006, 04:34 PM
I would get them done at the same time, boys and girls. The boy wont hurt another few weeks, Moose here wont be done till about 8/9mths.
Dawn.

Donna
26-09-2006, 05:59 PM
I would get them all done together - that way if the are all feeling a bit "off" then no one will annoy the other!

random
26-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Thanks guys, I think I will get them all done together. :D

dandysmom
26-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Definitely agree that having them both done at the same time is the way to go; I'm also surprised at your vet's decision to wait so long! Leia was spayed at 3 months per vet; Misty at 4 1/2 (she was scheduled for her op but came into heat, so had to wait. Has your vet explained his/her reasons for the delay?

Booktigger
01-10-2006, 12:00 PM
If you are having Tucker done first, do remember that they can still produce sperm afterwards. I would be wary of leaving him till the girls are old enough though, as girls can come into heat before 6months, and you dont wnat him trying things on - and also, if he is left till older and starts spraying before neutered, it is hard to stop afterwards, so I would never leave a cat of either sex past 6mo. Is there any way you can contact a few different vets to see if any will do them sooner? My vets do all cats at 5 months regardless of sex, and there is one a slight drive away that does them from 8 weeks. What area are you in, maybe someone can recommend someone?

random
01-10-2006, 12:41 PM
I am in the north east, near Middlesbrough.

Upon asking our vet I was just told this was the age they did the kittens. 5.5 months for boys and 6 months for girls. Kiara's breeder also said 6 months. :?

Tucker is still booked in for this coming week, I did ring and ask if they could be all done together but was told that the girls shouldn't be done untill they are over 6 months. I didn't ask why, do you think I should queery them?

We do have another vet here, (my previous vet) but I am less than keen on taking any of my babies there from past experiences I had when one of my dogs was a pup :shock:

random
01-10-2006, 12:43 PM
Forgot to add, tucker will be kept seperate untill I know he is fully recovered, I was just worried about the girls as it would be difficult to keep them all seperate :shock: and their recovery time will be longer with it being a bigger op.

Booktigger
01-10-2006, 02:57 PM
6 months is the old way of thinking, but early spay/neuter has been done for years now (the rescue near me have been doing it in excess of 14 years with no issues) and there are studies to show that there isn't any issues, and I think I may have read that it is easier to 'find' girls bits first - although some vets wait with males as theres can be harder to find. Males can produce sperm for up to 6 weeks after though, it is a long time to keep them separated. hopefully someone else here will be able to recommend someone, I am in the north west - I also thought most vets did spay both sexes earlier when you had one of each to avoid the risk of unwanted pregnancies.