PDA

View Full Version : How do i introduce my cat...to a dog?!

Elvisisboss
25-09-2006, 11:47 PM
Hi i have a 8 year old half siamese half tabby cat. my partner & i really want to get a german shepherd dog next year, how do we introduce them to eachother? my cat is king of the house at the moment! Thanks!

dandysmom
26-09-2006, 02:30 AM
Having always had cats only, can't answer this, but I would suggest very very carefully! Lots of members here have dogs also, so sure you'll be getting some suggestions soon! Good luck!

Elvisisboss
26-09-2006, 02:33 AM
lol thanks very much! i have only had cats to but my partner being a dog man wants a dog! i mean i like dogs to but id still love another cat, but then i dont think my cat would! he is king!:lol:

dandysmom
26-09-2006, 03:00 AM
Introdcing a cat to a resident cat can be a problem too! After my male Aby died, my girl cat Misty seemed to be lonesome, so I rehomed a tortie girl...mistake!! Female and adult, uh uh! The new cat spent about a week in the basement; had to put litter box & food dishes down there as she wouldn't come up! They eventually got along but never really bonded..I should have gotten a kitten, preferably male..which I did a few months later, and Misty really took to him; mothered him, washed him, etc. Some people seem to have no problems whatsoever with this, so don't be discouraged by my story...!!

Patch
26-09-2006, 03:26 AM
A lot depends on the temperament of the cat and the temperament and age of the dog.

Generally speaking :

You should ensure your cat has plenty of high places to retreat to if the dog is a bit pushy at first [ pups can be especially obnoxious as far as cats are concerned lol ].

Floor to ceiling cat towers are ideal, so long as they are sturdily in place as the dog may try putting front paws on it til realisation finally sets in with the dog that dogs cant climb towers too well ;)

If possible, feed mog on a tower or other high place initially as cats which may be stressed at first and dont feel comfortable enough to eat anywhere that the dog can get to or has its scent on [ like floor / mats / carpet etc ].

A dog free room is a good idea initially, with a babygate preferably so mog can come and go but the dog cant, until you know they are tolerating each other well enough.

Usually, dogs tend not to pay cat much attention other than an initial sniff unless the cat runs, hence the value of a place the cat can get to easily like a tower and a dog free zone.

Never restrain a cat when introducing to a dog as the cat must feel able to move freely or they can panic. The dog on lead as a safety measure is ideal - absolutely not attached to a choker though as they can cause the dog to panic and the cat could be considered the cause [ I abhor chokers anyway because they are physically and mentally damaging ].

Use lots of praise and treats for the dog to create a positive association toward the cat when the dog is well behaved in the cats presence.

If the dog is too full on with the cat, DONT reprimand the dog as it could see the cat as the cause for the reprimand instead of the dogs own behaviour which can build up an intense dislike toward the cat. Instead, *gently* but firmly distract the dog and work on a trick or obedience or play, [ depends again on the age and any previous training the dog has when you get him/her ], so that the dog is rewarded for giving you wanted attention and behaviour rather than giving the cat unwanted treatment.

Cats are very good teahers of manners to puppies but be aware a good swipe can result in eye injury to a pup if the cat goes for the nose and the pup moves to avoid. Many believe in letting the cat put a dog in its place but I personally would never advise allowing something which could cost the dog its sight or which could result in an injured [ or worse ] cat if the dog retaliates instead of backing off.

If mog has a litter tray, ensure that the dog cant get to it as they tend to want to eat mog poop but some cat litters can be highly dangerous to dogs when ingested plus mogs dont like having a large doggy nose interfering with them during toilleting [ funnily enough ! ].

Its very common for cats to be a bit haughty or even withdrawn toward their humans for a while when a dog comes in to the family, so dont be suprised if that happens, and dont coddle or pander to mog too much about it - the more you are your usual selves the quicker mog will usually settle.

Some mogs and dog do accept each other very easily and hopefully that will be the case for yours, but better to plan ahead to be on the safe side [ which is why you asked in the first place of course :smt023 ]

HTH

[ Anything I may not have covered which you have any questions about, fire away if I can be of any help :-) ]

dinahsmum
26-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Patch has covered it nicely.
You didn't say whether you were thinking of a puppy or an adult (?rescue) dog. It shouldn't be too much trouble with a pup, and the integration into the house and to the cat is just part of the pup's training. I think it is easier for a cat to accept a puppy.
If you are getting an adult dog then you must be very sure of its temperament wrt cats.
I have brought adult rescue dogs into a house with resident cats with no problem at all.

Good luck

random
26-09-2006, 10:13 AM
All I can add is reserve lots and lots of patience, it does sometimes take a while, (every situation is different) I've found it's much easier to introduce new kittens to already resident dogs, but when you have an older cat who already thinks they rule the house (I have one too! :lol: ) it takes a bit more time and patience.
You also need to accept the fact that the cat will eventually learn to tolerate the dog, but they may never be 'friends'. On the other hand they may get on famously, hope everything goes to plan, keep us posted! :D

Mags
26-09-2006, 11:31 AM
Lots of good advice given above;)

Good luck!

borderdawn
26-09-2006, 05:03 PM
If you are talking of a puppy, you should have little problem, a puppy will repect an adult Cat and usually gets a swipe for his curiosity, its far more tricky introducing cats into a doggy household I find.
Dawn.

Elvisisboss
26-09-2006, 06:49 PM
hiya thanks for your replys!

we are hoping to get a slighty older dog (1yr +)and it will be a rescue dog, alot of them say whether they are good and have lived with cats before so i dont think itll be the dog being the problem!!!

might leave it a couple of years yet just thought id see and see what everyone suggusts! thats a good idea about the high up place for the cat! :-)

Paul G.
06-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Hi i have a 8 year old half siamese
Hello, hope I can help. I did exactly this with my 6 year old siamese about a year ago. I introduced a 4 year old female Border Collie from a rescue society. The dog had no known history and the cat was long established as the only pet in the house. Fortunately it worked, but only with very close management.
To begin I would suggest that you choose your dog carefully. Either you need one that is already tolerant towards cats ( many are not) or one that is very responsive to training.
The process is one of slow and progressive introduction. I began by keeping them in separate parts of the house, able to detect each other's scent but no more. Then I put the dog in an indoor kennel (big cage) for a few minutes several times a day and let the cat investigate. Later the dog was on a lead in a room and the cat was allowed in. The time comes when the dog is free but still under voice control. You must be able to stop it with a word if it lunges. At each stage you assess reaction and only move on when you are confident. The cat must always have an escape route.
It takes time, at least two months in my case, and effort. You can't hurry the process and you must be prepared for the possibility that it may not work.

Elvisisboss
06-10-2006, 03:52 PM
hiya thanks for your reply!

that sounds exactly what i was thinking of doing!
we are hoping now to get a puppy, and the ones we have seen have all been brought up with cats, so im more worried about me cat attacking!! :shock:

i dont think he would though!

Paul G.
06-10-2006, 08:44 PM
[QUOTE=knottybabe;303235]hiya thanks for your reply!

so im more worried about me cat attacking!! :shock:

Yes, that could perhaps be a problem, it rather depends upon the nature of your cat. I can't claim to be an expert but I have had quite a few dogs (all Collies) and various cats over a period of 40 years and I've found that animals tend to recognise babies of any species and are more inclined to be tolerant towards them.
I used to breed dogs and there was one old moggy that liked to help to look after the pups. She would jump into the pens to lick them clean and even carry them about. The mothers never seemed to mind.
Others may not agree but I work on the assumption that cats are untrainable. You can make a few suggestions but in the end they make their own choices and do their own thing. Therefore I believe that it is the dog that must be trained to respect the cat.
Even after a year I would not say that mine are the best of friends. There is some rivalry and they often compete for attention, but we have no hostility. The cat occasionally provokes the dog but the dog has been taught not to react.
As I said, in order to make it work you need time and a lot of patience.

binza
31-10-2006, 10:01 PM
i have an older dog 14yrs old i had already had 2 cats before he came on the scene as a pup. He was really good with them from the start, but the cats used to get fed up being chased alot:( . anyways now being an older dog whose been spoilt rotten i did not know what to expect when i decided to have my 2 new kittens , he didnt know what to make of them at first as he had never seen one , but he soon started playing with them and he excepted them really well. then of course i got hold of another one which is younger kitten again and the same thing happened he sniffed him and played with him there a happy little family.:) . my dogs a border collie and they can be extremley gealous animals so i didnt really know what to expect from them all but im glad to see they all get on well . all i did was let them free and just watch but in safe distance with the kittens.
tracy

carternm31
31-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Hi i have a 8 year old half siamese half tabby cat. my partner & i really want to get a german shepherd dog next year, how do we introduce them to eachother? my cat is king of the house at the moment! Thanks!

Hi Knotty! Didn't realise you had a cat also. Our cat got on really well with Roxy when we got her, although eventually Roxy got on her nerves but its difficult to handle, Making sure they are calm around eachother and giving them their own space at all times is the key here. Good luck finding you dog :)

Natalie
AKA DobieGirl from Dogsey

ATD
15-02-2007, 11:24 PM
when i got a pup it was tiny so uma didnt see it as a threat so i cant really help but i have been told a cage/ creat is a good idea they can see and smell each other but cant hurt each other
ATD xxx