PDA

View Full Version : Teddy still has 'the runs'

alexgirl73
25-09-2006, 05:14 PM
After improving during the week on the chicken a nd fish diet, as soon as we started reintroducing RC kitten he started running again. Spoke to my vets who said just keep him on dry food and spoke to another who said he should be on wet! Help!

I've bought some HiLife kitten wet food and am going to try him on that for a few days, but does anyone have any advice on whether wet or dry will be better for him or any other way to try and help solidify his poo.

dinahsmum
25-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Slippery Elm powder?
Used to treat diarrhoea in humans and animals
You may be able to get it locally at a health food shop.
If not, Dorwest (You'll find it if you google) do veterinary grade herbs and such and have a next day service.
Just mix a little with water and add to the food, or just sprinkle into wet food. You'd only need a tiny bit for a kitten.
If you don't have any luck PM me your address and I'll post you a few spoonful of powder, but it wouldn't reach you till Wednesday at the earliest.

alexgirl73
25-09-2006, 05:37 PM
Cheers Dm will go up the shops first thing and try the HFS. Can't buy over the internet, so if I have no luck will def PM you. Thanks

Donna
25-09-2006, 05:49 PM
Dont keep chopping and changing food as this is a cause of upset tummy in itself - just a thought.

whiskey
25-09-2006, 08:57 PM
i had the same problem with daisy about a month or so ago took her to the vets and she was given a prebiotics called PRO-KOLIN to give her for 3-4 days i have to starve her for a few hours then start her on science plan (id) prescription diet its a recovery food for four days then slowly introduce her other food back into her diet she`s fine know i feed her on pro plan kitten because the whiskers food was too rich for her:D :D hope teddy is better soon:D

alexgirl73
26-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Dont keep chopping and changing food as this is a cause of upset tummy in itself - just a thought.

We were feeding him the food we were told he was on when we got him, RC kitten but he had the major runs, so when we went to the vets we were told to put him onto plain chicken and fish and rice for a few days adn then slowly reintroduce the RC. Fine on the chicken, started to solidify but as soon as we brought the RC back in , the runs started again. So we sought advice from various other people and the advice was conflicting. One said wet, another said dry:?

HOWEVER! We have had him on HiLife wet kitten food for the last day and a half, and miracle of miracles, the runs 'seem' to have stopped. There is no more dripping and his last poo was semi-solid, so here's hoping!:)

Mags
26-09-2006, 10:05 PM
Glad to hear things are starting to improve Alex........

dinahsmum
27-09-2006, 09:04 AM
Sounds hopeful

alexgirl73
27-09-2006, 02:39 PM
By Jove, I think we've cracked it!:D :-D :D

He had an almost normal poo this morning. Lots of shape and proper colour (sorry if anyones eating):p So fingers crossed, it looks like that is one less problem. He is like a different cat from the one we brought home. He is playing with toys now and running about like a loony. Will keep him on HiLife wet for the time being and see if things continue to improve.:-D :-D

dinahsmum
27-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Sad thing is, we all understand your delight!
Good news!

Sweet
27-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Glad to read Teddy is alot better x

yola
27-09-2006, 02:53 PM
So pleased Teddy's tummy's getting better. Some cats just don't like dry food - it can cause irritation to their stomach lining. If Hi-life seems to work then I'd procced with that food. Maybe, once Teddy's a bit older try introducing some biscuits into the wet food; but slowly does it!

caz2236
26-11-2006, 09:53 PM
I had the same problem with my kitten, she had an injection at the vets, some PRO-KOLIN and Hill's ID plan... now the problem has been removed but its all costing me a fortune!
If you find she starts up again I can't recommend this stuff enough.... now for my next problem, watery eyes and sneezing (does it, and the cost, ever end!!)