PDA

View Full Version : Ringworm advice please!

alexgirl73
21-09-2006, 08:01 PM
As you might know if you have read one of my other threads, my newest kit Teddy has ringworm. Now, I'm not bothered about the risks of catching it myself but I'm worried about my other two mogs. I've been reading some stuff on the 'net and I'm beginning to think that there is no chance of getting rid of this permanently.

Teddy is confined to our bedroom for the time being (all my bedding including the duvet and pillows will be disposed of) and I bought the hand wash stuff they use in hospitals to clean our hands with every time we touch him. The kids aren't allowed near him (they aren't happy about this) and of course the other two cats are banned from the bedroom. But according to some of the things I've read the spores will still get out through clothes, shoes etc and live 'forever' in my carpets.

Has anyone else had this problem and have they managed to overcome it, or are we doomed to an never ending cycle of this?:?

dinahsmum
21-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Sorry I've no experience, or indeed knowledge, about ringworm but I have a 'gut-feeling' that treatment must be available. I know it was a nasty thing, very difficult to treat, when i was a little girl but that was many years ago ...... surely there are medications now?
What does the vet say?

PS - sometimes the 'net is not too helpful. It can panic you!

Good luck!

alexgirl73
21-09-2006, 08:13 PM
The vet is starting him on treatment tomorrow and it is a new treatment he says which comes in a bottle and not tablets like they used to. All he said was to wash our hands after touching him and to keep him isolated from the others. I'm just worried about contamination of the rest of the house.

Luke
21-09-2006, 08:23 PM
We had it last year from a new kitten...very nasty...all t'other pets caught it..so did i!! Ours all had the pills..took a while but did clear up. Just had too clean everywhere the contaminated animals had been (vets instructions)

alexgirl73
21-09-2006, 08:25 PM
We had it last year from a new kitten...very nasty...all t'other pets caught it..so did i!! Ours all had the pills..took a while but did clear up. Just had too clean everywhere the contaminated animals had been (vets instructions)

What did you use for cleaning the carpets?