PDA

View Full Version : Food advice please!

alexgirl73
19-09-2006, 11:29 PM
I have 3 cats. A 14 month old tabby (we think has maine coon blood), a little 8 week old black and white moggie and a 9 week old exotic. I have always fed the oldest one on a mix of whiskas complete and one pouch of wet a day. When we got the little moggie he was already on a similar diet except it was a stores own brand so we just changed him over to the same as the other one.

We got the newest boy 5 days ago and he was on RC kitten. We kept him on this but he has quite a few problems ie ringworm, ear mites, flu and diarhoea (so much for a 'free' cat). We took him to the vet who advised us to just feed him on plain cooked chicken and coli fish for a few days and then reintroduce kitten food slowly.

My problem now is what to feed him. I've never seen any problem with the diet my other two were on and had never even considered any of the 'designer' brands and to be truthful the cost scares me to death. Is whiskas an acceptable diet or should I be biting the bullet and eating toast and beans for the rest of my life:?

Mags
19-09-2006, 11:43 PM
Hi! If your little kitten has diarhoea, plain cooked chicken or white fish would be better and kinder on his tummy. I would try him on it for a few days until the diarhoea has cleared up....then, as your vet said, gradually reintroduce the kitten food.

Please let us know how he gets on.....

alexgirl73
19-09-2006, 11:45 PM
thanks mags

He is on the chicken and fish but my problem is what food to use when I reintroduce normal kitten food. Do I go for the pricey stuff or just stick to good old whiskas!

Mags
19-09-2006, 11:52 PM
I brought Cassie up on Whiskas kitten food....she had a problem with it in the beginning as she had diarhoea, took her to my vet and was told to give her the cheap supermarket brand cat food as Whiskas can be too rich for kittens and upset their tums.. I changed over for a month or so until she was stronger and then went back to Whiskas......she has been on it ever since and she is 9 now!

Good luck!

dinahsmum
20-09-2006, 08:52 AM
That sounds good advice.
Introduce one meal of whiskas, the remainder of fish or chicken, then 2 meals, then 3, then all meals in a day.
I'm sure it will work out OK

yola
20-09-2006, 10:02 AM
When my cats were on wet food, they had the standard Whiskas tins/sachets.

Mine are long-haired though, and have issues with furballs which is why I changed them to an exclusive diet of Royal Canin furball formula, but I would try your kitten on Whiskas and just see how he gets on.

You can always change to more of a premium brand if Whiskas doesn't agree with him.

tilly
20-09-2006, 12:13 PM
I fed both of mine on felix and whiskas kiten and they were fine on it. My vet has said to me that they do change around the recipes sometimes without saying so they can get the odd bit of diareha (sp) from tinned food. They still are fed the senior pouches and seem to do fine. I do give them hills in the morning though. That might help you if he needs the expensive food, try giving him that as one meal and the cheaper food as the next. Not sure if that would work with kittens though, they might not like the change. You could also try just giving him the chicken flavour to start with, it might be blander.

Hope I was some help and everyting goes OK. Let us know how you get on.

Sally