PDA

View Full Version : Does spaying change your cat?

Jules
09-09-2006, 09:22 AM
Hello All

As some of you may know, i was adopted by a pregnant stray some time ago and we kept one of her kittens.

We had her spayed a couple of months ago and although very affectionate to people she cannot seem to tolerate her kitten (who is now 5 months) she is quite young herself (under 2) and was always very playful with people and her kittens but since having her spayed she doesnt want to know her kitten, she will wash him from time to time but if he tries to play she goes mad and gives him a right telling off.

Anyone have any idea's why she is doing this?

Booktigger
09-09-2006, 08:19 PM
It is quite normal for mums to ignore their sons around 6 months, as in the wild, they wouldnt' still be with mum, they would have gone off to find their own female. Hopefully when he is neutered he will help, I Can't remember what else the behaviourist recomends for this I'm afraid - I can't remember a lot these days!!

dandysmom
09-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Think BT has it right; in the wild he'd be off on his own by now. When my neighbor's cat had kittens, they were all rehomed with the understanding that they'd come back if things didn't work out. One of the kittens did come back after quite some time and mum cat not only didn't recognize her grown daughter, they didn;t get along at all for some time!!

Jules
09-09-2006, 09:31 PM
Thank you both, i did think thats what it might be, just assumed they would be forever friends as they are mother and son, she loves our other male cat to bits. Oh well just like people and their families then :lol:

Booktigger
10-09-2006, 10:14 AM
Mum and son are apparently the worst combination.

Jules
10-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Mum and son are apparently the worst combination.

Oh great, i'm in for some squabbles then :roll:

sandy
28-10-2006, 09:48 PM
Most cat mothers reject their offspring at the right time: when they are capable of looking out for themselves in her eyes. This is perfectly natural.

I had one exception: a cat who adored her son. Her milk was long dried up and he was as big as she was, but they would lie in the corner together and he would suckle on her dry teats. :)

My present cat was extremely hostile to her own daughter at around 5=6 months of age. Things got so bad we had almost decided to find another home for the little one, but suddenly they appeared to call a truce and decided to live together, albeit with some reluctance.

yola
28-10-2006, 10:23 PM
Yes - my neighbours had a mother and son. Fur flew frequently! Sadly most loving and affectionate Mum was lost in an RTA :cry:

They will find their own space and their own way of managing their relationship . . . main thing now is to get the younger one neutered if you can.