PDA

View Full Version : Starving kittens (so they tell me)

dinahsmum
08-09-2006, 01:53 PM
I'd quite forgotten just how hungry growing kittens appear to be and just how determined they can be. Two is just double trouble! :) I'll get my mind round it again but I can't remember any tricks for keeping them off kitchen work surface - i'm doing something, one jumps up, I pssst him and swoop him off, by the time I've put him on the floor and turned back the other one is on the chopping board! :shock:
The other day Bentley swooped up made a grab, was down on the floor, growling, crouched over a relatively large white thing :? .... what on earth was it? ... the stale-ish end off a loaf I had cut off ready for the ducks! :roll: He was all set to eat it.
He reminds me of Jerry mouse in an old Tom and Jerry cartoon, where a baby Jerry is left in a basket on Tom's doorstep, with a note' please look after this baby' . He is always hungry, and I remember a piece where he swallows a big red apple whole, and turns into a round apple shaped mouse with ears and whiskers.
Ah, I ramble ....... :roll: ....again ......:roll:
Anyway, surface-surfing reduction tips welcome! :)

Mags
08-09-2006, 02:11 PM
I remember the kitchen work surface episode well!! I thought I would never be able to stop Cassie.....but continual scolding in my best 'annoyed' voice paid off.............after a couple of years!!:-D

Good luck with it DM, you have double trouble there!!:-D

yvonne
08-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Afraid my cats still haven't learned after five years,You just need eyes in the back of your head!
I have become expert at fending them off whilst cutting sandwiches, carving meat etc, that my partner is suprised I don't take up some sort of martial art my reflexes are so honed.
Meh, It's all good fun?
Yvonne x

dinahsmum
08-09-2006, 04:35 PM
I have become expert at fending them off whilst cutting sandwiches, carving meat etc, that my partner is suprised I don't take up some sort of martial art my reflexes are so honed.
hehehehe :lol:

yvonne
08-09-2006, 04:37 PM
actually just remembered an incident when I first met my partner and I only had the two kittens, Twiggy and dizzy, I was telling my partner how well behaved Dizzy was and how he never ever pestered for food etc.
As my partner walked past him with a plate full of food, Dizzy's paw shot out and speared a sausage, don't know who was more embarrased, Me, The cat or him.

dinahsmum
08-09-2006, 04:43 PM
My Siamese, who at 16 is old enough to know better, but is a Siamese :roll: , is still quick enough to sit beside you on the bench at the table outside, seemingly nonchalent, then, the minute you relax, that speedy paw comes out and the salmon, tuna or steak which was on its way to your mouth just vanishes! :shock:
Conduct unbecoming, but she doesn't care!

Donna
08-09-2006, 04:47 PM
I have this problem with my two. Now Chloe has found out at last that she actually loves food she is on the tops constantly!! Keep on just sweeping her off with my arm - hope she will get the message soon!

yvonne
08-09-2006, 04:54 PM
You do get adept at doing everything with your right had and keeping the left hand for swatting, sweeping.
Cats! when I met my partner I had two new kittens as I had lost both my two girls in the previous year, both aged 16. He said he didn't much care for cats, ha ha ha ha ha, now we have 4 older ones, 1 foundling and the kittens and he is dafter than me.
Yvonne x

CathyW
08-09-2006, 05:50 PM
reggies the main moocher in this house, hes there looking for food while im cooking it, i have to keep a treats plate just for him in the kitchen, cheese, bits of meat, drop of cream.hes terrible LOL

yvonne
08-09-2006, 06:22 PM
reggies the main moocher in this house, hes there looking for food while im cooking it, i have to keep a treats plate just for him in the kitchen, cheese, bits of meat, drop of cream.hes terrible LOL

Cheese? meat? My big white cat Dizzy just loves peas, if there are leftovers from a meal he goes for the peas first, go figure I suppose?

Kazz
08-09-2006, 10:29 PM
DM I have no idea how to stop them but when you find out let me know and I'll put it into action here to stop Cleo - who is old enough to know better but stillcertain things get the better of her roast meat and stong mature cheese normaly and she's up :)

Elaine
08-09-2006, 10:37 PM
I love the way you tell a good story DM:lol:
I tell you what workd for me when the Diva kept jumping up on the work tops.
Empty cans with little stones or pennies in them. Tape the tops and place them precariously on the counter tops, so when kitty jumps up, he knocks them over, gets a fright by the noise but doesnt associate the fright with you. It may take a few times but it certainly worked for the Diva.
I have also heard of others using double sided tape and also citrus smelling cleaners but I have never tried those so I dont know how effective they are.
Good luck xxx

Moli
08-09-2006, 10:39 PM
:lol: My Siamese, who at 16 is old enough to know better, but is a Siamese :roll: , is still quick enough to sit beside you on the bench at the table outside, seemingly nonchalent, then, the minute you relax, that speedy paw comes out and the salmon, tuna or steak which was on its way to your mouth just vanishes! :shock:
Conduct unbecoming, but she doesn't care!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dandysmom
09-09-2006, 02:46 AM
I long since gave up keeping them off; resort to bribery....cut a piece of whatever I'm chopping, fixing, etc & toss it to them as far away as possible so I can get on with it. Or, and this is evil, if I'm chopping onions, let them have a sniff...!!!! Away they go!!!!

Naomi
09-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Yvonne your cats sound mad! :lol:

Timmy and Ginge only climbed on the worktops once. I clapped my hands and told them 'No'

Worked a treat, they haven't even looked at attempting the worksurface again, well not yet anyway. Give it time and i'm sure they'll try again :roll:

dinahsmum
09-09-2006, 08:44 AM
Cheese? meat? My big white cat Dizzy just loves peas, if there are leftovers from a meal he goes for the peas first, go figure I suppose?
My first cat (Sissons, aka Sizzy [is there something in the *izzy name?]) loved peas too. Handy when you had one of those 'mucky pup moments' when eating and peas went rolling all over the floor. He'd round 'em up in no time! :)

Ruthlynn
09-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Lily was a little madam for getting on the work tops but she never does now...not sure what I did to stop her though:? :) She'd also sit by the boys when they wre having their tea and loved scraps of anything...she's a lot fussier now; I put some trour left overs in her bowl and she refused to eat them!!!:shock: :roll: