PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with people

Booktigger
06-09-2006, 09:16 AM
This time last year, I had two phone calls from people who were emigrating and homes for cats had fallen through, both said that if they couldn't find a home, pts was an option. One was rehomed by the owner, one came to me. In the past week or so, we have had two people asking for help homing 8/10 year olds, one woman because the cat was too demanding and constantly wanted affection, which she couldn't deal with, she had too much else on, and one cos the dog was becoming an issue, and they didn't feel they could give the cats a good quality of life - one has gone to live wiht neighbours, the other they want us to help with. WE haven't even got kitten season out of hte way yet!!

borderdawn
06-09-2006, 09:27 AM
Its really disgusting isnt it, fancy a Cat wanting some affection, what is the world coming to!
Dawn.

Amanda
06-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Society is wrong hun. We're in a 'buy it and then toss it when it gets old' climate, no matter what the item tends to be :cry:

Thankfully, there are still some people out there who think otherwise.. its just a matter of waiting :D

logoes
06-09-2006, 03:34 PM
It is heart breaking to find older pets discarded. We never found the real cause of India being put into Rescue, she was 8yrs, when she was 'disposed' of. Still somebody's 'throwout' is our gain. Logoes

dinahsmum
06-09-2006, 04:00 PM
I agree about the throwaway society. :evil:
Perhaps more so with cats than other pets ('cept tortoises and parrots!) as they regularly reach mid-late teens or older. It's a lifetime commitment yet people don't sem to project themselves forward ... what do they anticipate their life being in 8-10 years time etc. None of us has a crystal ball but some of the crazy excuses ... well, we've had it 6 weeks but now we're moving house etc etc.

Kazz
06-09-2006, 04:57 PM
Yeah when I was taking on my two I was a happy and carefree 19 year old now 24 years later I am still a happy and carefree 43 year old but had I realised the cats would live that long would it have mattered - I don't think back then I even thought more than a year in advance let alone 24. So many things in your life change over the years luckily for me the cats have fitted in and around my life (or should that be I fitted my life around them)

No one can predict what will happen so I can sympathise with people whose circumstances change. But the excuses for rehoming that I can't take, let alone understand. I have often thought about this and looked at mine as they've grown older and thought how would you cope with a change of home, maybe okay as I have moved with them but people say cats become attached to a home to me I have always believed mine were/are not attached to home but to me and as long asI am there they will be fine. I mean I couldn't bear the thought of rehoming mine I mean who would know Cleo liked to be rubbed on the top of her head and won't drink out of plastic dishes on crock. Or Oscar liked to sit under tent shaped newspapers and didn't like milk but would hunt for a pork scratching.

You become acustomed to your cat and they to you.

Donna
06-09-2006, 06:19 PM
I mean I couldn't bear the thought of rehoming mine I mean who would know Cleo liked to be rubbed on the top of her head and won't drink out of plastic dishes on crock. Or Oscar liked to sit under tent shaped newspapers and didn't like milk but would hunt for a pork scratching.

You become acustomed to your cat and they to you.

That is so true Kazz and well put. I would hate to not be there for my two kitties. Had them two years now and that is nothing compared to your time with your cats, but hope to be able to say the same when my cats are into their senior years..

dinahsmum
06-09-2006, 06:27 PM
I was set to take Min and Tizz to Canada 3 years ago when it looked like we'd be there for a spell. I'd even found that we would only fly KLM or Air Canada because they allow animals in the cabin, as opposed to the hold.

Moli
06-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Reading these posts, one thing stands out about all of us, we are what I call real cat lovers..Some people own a cat, some people love their cats...and will do anything for them...

Booktigger
07-09-2006, 10:43 AM
It is incredibly sad that we live in a throwaway society - although I would'nt have had the majority of mine if we didn't (although as I take on oldies, it wouldn't be a prob if we didn't, as I am sure I would still find them). Out of the 6 with me at the moment, 2 were picked up off the streets, 2 were taken to be pts, and the other 2 were taken into care due to their owners moving to accomodation that couldnt' take them (althoguh only one was elderly and ill). The youngest is 10, so it is quite sad that for some of them, they have been happily living in one house all their life, and then get uprooted. And for some reason, this time of year seems quite 'popular' for people emigrating and not being able to take their pets with them. All mine were made a promise that they would have a home with me for life, and I have full intentions of sticking to that - but people who frequent forums like this tend to be of that ilk.

dinahsmum
07-09-2006, 10:45 AM
I don't understand why emigrating means that you don't take the whole family, including the furry ones. It's really not so difficult - there are companies who will do the lot, including taking pets a few days early to allow packing, sorting documents and holding the pet in kennels at the other end until the new home is safe for them.

Just selfish uncaring people, I'm afraid.

Donna
07-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Leaving one of my cats would be like leaving one of the kids at home!!!! You just dont do it!!

Booktigger
19-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Another bad week - old vets rang yesterday to ask if I had any space as they had found a cat scrounging round the back of hte surgery - checked her for a chip, and she does have a chip, so they contacted the owner who said they had rehomed her 2 years ago, and had another cat now so couldn't have her back. She is 9, he already has 4 cats, but no rescue in the area have any room for her. And I had an e-mail a few weeks ago from someone wanting to home their 9yo as she was leaving skid marks on the carpet and they are expecting her child. I said they needed to get the cat vet checked first (expecting worms) - e-mailed back today saying thye have done that, and it is an anal gland prob that needs expressing on a regular basis and the vet wormed her - they say it hasn't stopped it so they can't keep her, and if they can't find anyone, they will take it back to the vets to have it pts - but if we can take it, they will pay us and do a web site for us. Sadly emotional blackmail wont work, as Tom is spraying due to being unhappy with 5 other cats in the house, so I can't risk anymore even if I did have somewhere to put another cat!!

tilly
19-09-2006, 05:35 PM
I have often thought about this and looked at mine as they've grown older and thought how would you cope with a change of home, maybe okay as I have moved with them but people say cats become attached to a home to me I have always believed mine were/are not attached to home but to me and as long asI am there they will be fine. I mean I couldn't bear the thought of rehoming mine I mean who would know Cleo liked to be rubbed on the top of her head and won't drink out of plastic dishes on crock. Or Oscar liked to sit under tent shaped newspapers and didn't like milk but would hunt for a pork scratching.

You become acustomed to your cat and they to you.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you I don't think anyone would have Tilly as she cost a fortune in vets bills and Who would know what her " you can't expect me to eat that look" or her " mummy I know you have got some very nice expensive food can I have that please " look was. Also buster would be very sad if he was ever seperated from his sister. As they have never been parted for more than a day. I have to say where ever I go my cats will be with me or in time of dier need my parents . As I couldn't bear not being able to see them Or nurse them better when they were ill. I can't believe some of the excuses that are given fancy saying the cats needs too much attention. I should introduce her to mine who have a tendency to rub snotty noses all over clean trouser. I have to say that there are some genuine reason but lots more who just got bored and don't want the cast anymore. Anyway I had better stop ranting.

Sally

tilly
19-09-2006, 05:37 PM
I have often thought about this and looked at mine as they've grown older and thought how would you cope with a change of home, maybe okay as I have moved with them but people say cats become attached to a home to me I have always believed mine were/are not attached to home but to me and as long asI am there they will be fine. I mean I couldn't bear the thought of rehoming mine I mean who would know Cleo liked to be rubbed on the top of her head and won't drink out of plastic dishes on crock. Or Oscar liked to sit under tent shaped newspapers and didn't like milk but would hunt for a pork scratching.

You become acustomed to your cat and they to you.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you I don't think anyone would have Tilly as she cost a fortune in vets bills and Who would know what her " you can't expect me to eat that look" or her " mummy I know you have got some very nice expensive food can I have that please " look was. Also buster would be very sad if he was ever seperated from his sister. As they have never been parted for more than a day. I have to say where ever I go my cats will be with me or in time of dier need my parents . As I couldn't bear not being able to see them Or nurse them better when they were ill. I can't believe some of the excuses that are given fancy saying the cats needs too much attention. I should introduce her to mine who have a tendency to rub snotty noses all over clean trouser. I have to say that there are some genuine reason but lots more who just got bored and don't want the cast anymore. Anyway I had better stop ranting.

Sorry but I have messed up the quote and can't seem to fix it.

Sally

CathyW
19-09-2006, 09:54 PM
we where concidering living abroad, and would take our boys with us, they are members of our family so wouldnt concider re-homing them.