PDA

View Full Version : How do you become a cat fosterer?

kelz
01-09-2006, 10:27 PM
I have 2 cats at the moment, 2 5 yr old spayed females and this year I lost my other cat at the age of 22.

We lost our other dog over a month ago and we started going through the process of adopting a dog as we missed having 2 dogs but my husband had a big change of heart and said he didnt want any ore dogs which left me very upset.

I felt I needed to help out as much as I can as my last dog was a rescue who had such a hard time in his life before us. My husband is only keen on kitten and cat fostering now, he seems scared of anything else.

We have a cavalier spaniel who loves our cats as well as 2 children. I am in Hull, the rspca and animal welfare were not too interested in any offers of help. I work in cat boarding and am also studying animal care.

Anyone know how I can offer help to foster cats and kittens??

dinahsmum
02-09-2006, 09:39 AM
You could contact your local Cats Protection branch.
Smudgley, who will be back on the forum soon (after school hols and having her house turned upside down!) works for CP and Yola is a volunteer fund raiser with them. Either/both of them will be able to give you more info, but you can google to find the branch nearest you and go straight ahead.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_22_18.gif

kelz
02-09-2006, 07:59 PM
Thank you!

Booktigger
03-09-2006, 11:12 AM
You could also contact any independent rescues in your area - if you need help finding some, pm me, and I Will send you a link. I used to foster for my local CP branch, but now foster for a sort of independent rescue, and I actually prefer it, I get a lot more involvement, and it is something I Would certainly recommend. If you can't get any joy, there are other ways of helping rescues such as fundraising, helping out with admin, going in free time to help clean out and cuddle cats, etc.

yola
03-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Actually, I think Smudgely works for Guide Dogs and fosters for CP . . . I'm sure she'll be here soon to set the record straight!!

I do PR and marketing work for my local cats protection . . . it's what I do for a living so it makes sense to extend it into helping out with a charity that means a lot to me.

There are lots and lots of things you can do; from being a duty officer which essentially means you have a set time when the CP phone is diverted to you and you take calls through to rehoming officer, fundraiser, fosterer, home checker etc etc. Best to get in touch with your local branch, speak to the co-ordinator and see if they have any vacancies.

Good luck - it's such a worthwhile thing to do, I only wish I had more time to help out!!!

kelz
03-09-2006, 06:41 PM
thank everyone, I will ask a few of the independant rescues, I would love to do fostering as I work in animal boarding at the moment but I am due to start a new job, and I will miss all the close animal contact!
I would be able to do a bit of transporting too, with 2 children it can be a bit difficult to do much else~!

kelz
04-09-2006, 09:32 PM
I emaled cats protection as my printer wasnt working to print the form out to send to my local shelter, I got emailed back and told me the area co-ordinator will be contacting me when she has a chance.