PDA

View Full Version : Misty doesnt want to come home, help??

rach1980
29-08-2006, 08:34 PM
:( I have 2 cats mum and daughter, both have been nuetered, but the older one has gone missing, well not mssing as such we saw her last night she just seems not to want to come in, she seemed as though she was scared of me, adn ran off when i tried to bring her in last night, now her daughter did this about a yr ago before they were neutered and the rspca advised me it could be because she was looking for a male, but misty is nuetered so surely thats not the reason shes doing it?? any help/advice/suggestions please??:(

dandysmom
29-08-2006, 08:42 PM
That's an odd one, Rach! Has anything happened recently at home that might have frightened her...painting, redecorating, workmen in the house? Or could she have hadd a fight with her daughter that perhaps occurred when you weren't around? Could you tempt her with some of her favorite food or treats to coax her into the house? Please let us know how it goes! (I had a Misty too)

rach1980
29-08-2006, 08:51 PM
Well we actually thought she had gone missing, so i waited til dark last night and went out and called her, she was calling back(she has this special call she does usually when she has brought some food for kizzy(her daughter) and then kizzy runs out) she was using that call, and then she came running back, so i walked slowly towards her and she ran and jumped up onto the fence, we thought she was gonna come inside but she didnt, she went into next doors garden so i followed and she waited til i got right upto her and she ran off, we have seen her around but she just doesnt seem to want to come home. Her and kizzy have little disagreements often, but it never bothers them, we have tried leaving a little food out and shaking the bag of food which usually has her running back, lol, but nope she's not budging, im worried shes my baby.:(
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/rach1980/misty3.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h307/rach1980/misty.jpg
theres a couple of pics of her.:)

dandysmom
29-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Sorry, I'm baffled; hope someone else can come up with more ideas.....:cry:

rach1980
29-08-2006, 09:05 PM
so does anyone else have ay ideas??? please.

Moli
29-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Sounds like as DM says something has spooked her, there isn't a strange cat around that is frightening her....

rach1980
29-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Just been out into garden again, and i can smell a really strong smell of cat pee, now i havent noticed this before and have never noticed my cats peeing in my garden, do you think another cat is spraying, and this is why she doesnt want to come in, maybe being scared that other cat will attack her??
just a thought i just had.

Moli
29-08-2006, 09:31 PM
Just been out into garden again, and i can smell a really strong smell of cat pee, now i havent noticed this before and have never noticed my cats peeing in my garden, do you think another cat is spraying, and this is why she doesnt want to come in, maybe being scared that other cat will attack her??
just a thought i just had.
That could be what is worrying her, she thinks another cat has taken over her territory...Have you go another door you can let her in?

rach1980
29-08-2006, 09:33 PM
i have but neither of them will use it, they arent very often out that side of the house, its near the road and tankfully they are scared of roads.

Moli
29-08-2006, 09:39 PM
Maybe if you sit outside when she appears, talk to her till she gets near enough, then pick her up and take her in...Certainly looks like there is something different in the garden.. What about a window, would she come in a window??

rach1980
29-08-2006, 09:45 PM
well thats what she usually comes in, but if we are in the garden and door is open then shell use the door, you see our living room is the way we get into the back garden and so almost all day the windows are open for her, and then above here, there is the girls bedroom, which she usually sits on windowsill(gets up via shed) and cries till we open the window fully for her(they have safety locks on them), but she hasnt even done this, and the girls have been watching for her whilst supposed to be going to sleep, and have seen and called her but she doesnt want to know.:(

Moli
29-08-2006, 10:04 PM
Can't really think of anything else, hopfully she will come home when she is hungry...

rach1980
29-08-2006, 10:09 PM
do you think there is any way the neutering didnt work? and she actually is looking for a male?? my partner says the last time he saw her, she was in the garden next door and she was doing this thing,( we call it misty flirting), she used to roll on her back and do this sweet and innocent meow.lol.
and he says thats what she was doing the last time he saw her and she didnt run away. so what dya think????

rach1980
29-08-2006, 10:52 PM
any more ideas?? what do you think to my "suggestion!" above??

dinahsmum
30-08-2006, 08:49 AM
I think it's more likely that she is frightened of something - or possibly has been hurt (?rta?) and is therefore frightened. Remember Naomi saying how her cat had changed character and was aloof and spitting at her but when she took her to the vet the cat was bruised and the vet thought she had been in an accident.
Can only suggest being patient - and keep an eye out for any strange cats peeing in your garden.
Good luck

Donna
30-08-2006, 08:52 AM
Maybe what DM said is right. Sounds feasible. And maybe she is being fed somehere else so doesnt feel the need to come home as she is getting food elsewhere??

yola
30-08-2006, 09:48 AM
What about putting some of Misty's things out in the garden so she can obviously see and smell her own stuff? What about putting her favourite food in her cat carrier and see if she'll go in? You can then shut her in and bring her indoors.

Regarding the neutering not working . . . yes, it's possible, but you would need to get her to a vet to get that checked out and you need her home for that first.

How long ago was she neutered and has she ever done this before? I have a neutered male (done 9 years ago) that still sometimes tries to mount my neutered female so I guess there is some deep psychological residue for some cats and not others.

Sweet
30-08-2006, 09:56 AM
I am just catching up on threads......

Sorry to read Misty has gone walkabouts, fingers and paws crossed she will come back today, and when she does want to come inside with you.

Let us know x

rach1980
30-08-2006, 11:36 AM
thanks everyone, well last night i put out some tuna for her as it was all i had fish wise, and have been advised by a friend to try and tempt her with some strong smelling fish or some chicken, the tuna didnt do the trick but as i had to be at the docs with my daughter this morning(pre school boosters) i called to tesco and got a couple of tins of pilchards, do you think i should wait until tonight to put them out?? as she is at her most active at night time, its possible someone is trying to feed her, keep her locked away to get at me, as we have had some trouble recently from some of the neighbours, but as she has been outside the house and in the garden i wasnt sure if this could be it??
you think i should report her missing??she isnt actually missing cos we have seen her, i dont know what to do, i am worried that if she goes to someone else and they take her to the vets to find out if she has a hame, and she has been in an accident or something, they wont let me have her back as they may think im unfit or something, if you know what i mean??

Naomi
30-08-2006, 11:56 AM
I'd keep an eye out for her and when you see her in next doors garden then put the food out. She'll come round I'm sure.

If someone else takes the cat to the vet you'll get her back, provided you can prove she's your cat of course. I'm presuming she's micro-chipped yeah? Nobody will think your an unfit cat owner if she has been involved in an accident. These things happen and there's not alot you can do about it unfortunately :(

I know how upset you must be feeling right now but give her time. Take things slowly and she'll learn that you're the best thing since sliced bread :D

rach1980
30-08-2006, 12:03 PM
yeah, sorry should have said that, she is microchipped so i know i will get her back, but was worried they might think im unfit if she has been in an accident or something, what if my neighbours have done something to her?? hurt her, they really dont like us and a lot of them hate cats.:(
if just by chance the op didnt work and/or she is looking for a male, how long are they actually on heat for, im thinking maybe she will come back when that has finished if thats the case, in the meantime i will still keep putting out the food for her.:) and keep my fingers crossed.

Naomi
30-08-2006, 03:46 PM
I know it's easier said than done but don't think about 'What if' just concentrate on getting her to trust you and come home again.

rach1980
30-08-2006, 11:23 PM
she's back, yeay!
i was outside about to call her when i heard her calling, so i called craig to come out and he tempted her back with a tin of nice, smelly pilchards, lol.
Im so happy.

dandysmom
31-08-2006, 02:26 AM
Rachel, that's wonderful news; so happy she's back inside safe and sound!! Thank God for smelly pilchards...:roll: I think that odor of tomcat spray might have been what frightened her; sounds logical. As to her rolling and calling, spayed females do that occasionally: my Patches had what could only be described as a crush on a big Siamese sealpoint tom who wandered the neigborhood shouting his availability: she used to flirt abominably with him...he, of course, paid no attention to her....Ah, love!! Bet Misty was really hungry when she got home!!

Donna
31-08-2006, 08:05 AM
Glad she is home safe now. Is she ok? How is she with you? And what are you gonna do when she wants to go outside again? So many questions!

Naomi
31-08-2006, 08:07 AM
That is such fantastic news!!!!

I hope she's okay, maybe worth taking her to the vets for a check-up to make sure everything is okay. You must be so relieved to have her back indoors again :D

dinahsmum
31-08-2006, 08:29 AM
Phew! Good news!

yola
31-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Excellent - well done Rach. Hope she doesn't wander again :shock:

Sweet
31-08-2006, 09:58 AM
So pleased to read Misty is back home safe and well x

rach1980
31-08-2006, 10:20 AM
thank you all for your support.
i am going to have her to the vets, but she seems fine, craig said she seemed to be doing the flirting thing again. but he talked her in and thats all im bothered about.
THANK YOU ALL, you helped me cope.

Moli
31-08-2006, 08:41 PM
So pleased she is in, and safe....