PDA

View Full Version : How can I stop my cat sitting in the road

tilly
24-08-2006, 09:33 PM
Hi
As I briefly mentioned in my introduction. I have a female cat called Tilly who has a habit of sitting in my road. This wouldn't be much of a problem if she moved when cars came but she doesn't. She just sits there smugly and waits for them to drive round her. Although it is a private road and there is not much traffic and everyone in my road know about her. I can't help worry that one day some one will forget and run her over. The only good thing is she doesn't run out in front of cars she just sits there. As she live with my parent for the time being, and she is also an outside cat. I was wondering if anyone had any tip of help on getting her not to sit in the road. I am at the moment making sure she is shut up at night in an out house that is off the kitchen. But does anyone else have thhis problem and do you know any way of stopping her sittting there.

When I get my own house she will be abl to be insde and will probably be happy to stay there and not go outside (if she wants to go out I will make sure the garden is secure for her so that she can't get herself into any problems) Part of the problem I think is that she can't hear very much.

Anyway just thought I would see if you could come up with anything that may help me in the mean time.

Thanks for your help

Sally

Naomi
24-08-2006, 09:45 PM
I have a cat that will line herself up inbetween the front wheels of cars and lays down in the middle of the road :roll:

Unfortunately i don't think there is anything you can do to stop them

borderdawn
24-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Could you try throwing water at her or something? Sounds harsh but if every time she sits in the road she gets something unpleasant, she may stop doing it.
Dawn.

tilly
29-08-2006, 10:10 PM
I have tried throwing things at her and water pistols but my aim isn't very goods.
No worries though as I have just taken a lease on a maissonette which allows cats so come winter she (and her brother) will probably be with me safe and sound inside.
Sally

Naomi
30-08-2006, 09:20 AM
That's good news to hear Tilly.

I'm hoping since Moli's little run in with a car she'll stop doing it now. Nothing too serious just a bit of bruising and a couple of scagged claws but I hope it's taught her a lesson.

kitties818
07-01-2007, 01:12 AM
hi
where i live we dont relly have a priblem Lochmaddy is a quite place with not much traffic!But when the ferry comes in there is an awful lot and we have 2 be sure all the cats are inside! it's happened b4 they have been out and then the ferry comes in and we cant find them.
i only hope that they dont get out again!! try keeping your cat inside for a few days and soon he may see inside is better our cats have they dont like outside that much anymore! hope its helped!
Sophie Luckyy and Rigsy
x

ATD
15-02-2007, 11:19 PM
the 1st time uma did this my dad screamed his head off at her (mainly because the car wasnt not going to stop) and she hasnt dont it since
ATD xxx

Sunny'sMeowmie
01-03-2007, 10:18 PM
The only way to stop her is to prevent her from being loose outside. Can she come into the basement or garage until you get your own house? Can she stay with a friend? Can you build her a little kennel (believe it or not, they make them for cats!)? It's very dangerous for her AND car drivers. She could get hit, or, a car driver could injure/kill themselves in an accident by trying to swerve. :(

tilly
01-03-2007, 10:19 PM
I now live in a maisonette and Tilly is happily living as an indoor cat only. But thanks for your help.

Sally

Sunny'sMeowmie
01-03-2007, 10:23 PM
Sooo glad to hear!! :D :D

Kobster
02-03-2007, 02:00 AM
Wonderful news! No more road kitties. You must have been constantly on edge with worry!

mallorydawn
06-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Is there a way to keep a indoor cat from running outside? I really don't want him to be an outdoor cat. Pooh is 7 months old.

yola
06-03-2007, 11:07 PM
Is there a way to keep a indoor cat from running outside? I really don't want him to be an outdoor cat. Pooh is 7 months old.

Hi mallorydawn - could I suggest you start a new thread with your specific question in the header? That way more people will see it and be able to answer it in detail. Hopefully we can offer some advice for you and Pooh. :)