PDA

View Full Version : What to do regarding a stray?/Asking advice for relative

Luke
24-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Remember my aunt that was adopted by the pregnant stray tortie?
Well the cat had four beutiful kittens-all in their new homes, growing HUGE, eating like pigs and generally being good kittens...well not long after they went off to their new homes mamma cat (megan as she has been named) dissapeared off for a fortnight...came back for a short while...then was gone again and has been doing so on and off since the kittens have been in new homes. Now due to her dissapearing act-my aunt hasnt been able to get her to the vets to get speyed so yes, you guessed it she is pregnant again (confirmed yesterday by the vet) but its too far *apparentlly?* to spey and abort...so she will have to have this litter despite my aunts dismay-=too many cats in the worlds already and all that jazz.
My question im asking on her behalf-how soon after the kittens are born/weaned or whatever can the mother cat be speyed to prevent anymore unwanted pregnancies?

Sweet
24-08-2006, 10:29 AM
I cannot help you Luke, but I am sure someone on here will be able to x

Jules
24-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Hello

I had the same problem and am now owned by the said cat and 1 of her kittens, i think once the kittens are weaned it was about 6 weeks before she could be speyed but they can get pregnant again within about 4 weeks, so she will have to try to stop her going out if she doesnt want the next lot, or get it done in the early stages.

Hope this helps, alternatively call a local vet they should give you all the info you need.

Good luck!!

Kazz
24-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Hello Luke I've no idea to be honest but maybe she should phone her vet and ask.

dinahsmum
24-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Try another vet for the spey? Sounds hard hearted but what else can you do - the vicious circle could just go on and on.

borderdawn
24-08-2006, 12:04 PM
Poor Cat, needs spaying ASAP, I would go to another Vet.
Dawn.

dandysmom
24-08-2006, 09:03 PM
Luke, I knew nothing about this as my girls were all spayed before they came into heat. So, I did a little research on Google: some vets will spay in the third trimester. Cats usually can become pregnant at about 4 weeks after delivery, but occasionally as soon as 7 to 14 days after (that astonished me!) . I think the suggestions about checking with another vet are good. Sounds as if your Aunt would have trouble keeping the tortie confined indoors for 4 weeks!! Good luck; let us know what she decides.

Kazz
24-08-2006, 10:54 PM
The other option is call the CP and let them know she's a stray but you need to get her spayed either now or after this lot of kittens and that your Aunt (if she will) have her back after the spaying/litter gone. The CP will keep her in I am sure Smudgley had a cat she had in to have the litter/rehomed the litter and had the Mom spayed then the lady had her back. Does anyone else recall that?

Luke
25-08-2006, 08:49 AM
The other option is call the CP and let them know she's a stray but you need to get her spayed either now or after this lot of kittens and that your Aunt (if she will) have her back after the spaying/litter gone. The CP will keep her in I am sure Smudgley had a cat she had in to have the litter/rehomed the litter and had the Mom spayed then the lady had her back. Does anyone else recall that?
That was the plan last time..Megan was to be speyed and stay with my aunt and her family and other pets...bt it didn't quite go to plan.
If i recall what i was told by my aunt..is the vet said that it was too far along to abort via speying and if they did so could cause complications...so i presume she will be allowed this litter then speyed ASAP from when she has had them.

yola
25-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Luke - she will jsut have to be strong and keep the cat in once the litter is born. I'm not sure of the time frame between litter birth and spaying, but the cat should not be allowed out in the interim as another pregnancy could result.

Hope that helps some . . .

Kazz
25-08-2006, 08:12 PM
I'm trying to think how old Smudgley's kittens are when the Mom goes to be spayed????????? can anyone recall I imagine your Aunts vet will tell her if she asks, and evenif she does get out the worst that can happen is if she catches in the meantime she won't be very far along and could be aborted and spayed if needed. Anyhow at least the cat has your aunt and won't have the kittens out in the cold with no one to care for her.

Speaking to someone the other day and they had been out and rescued a mom cat and one remaining kitten the rest had been killed by rats!!!!! the remaining kitten was bitten, lost part of her tail to the rat attacks it is believed the Mom cat lost them as they were being born as the remaining kitten was only a week old when rescued.

Karen

Booktigger
26-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Some vets will spay/abort later than others, so it is worth ringing. If she cant find one she HAS to make sure that this cat cannot possibly get out again, 2 consecutive litters is incredibly hard on a female, I dont want to think how hard 3 would be. When I fostered for CP, I did foster a mum and kittens that went back to the owner afterwards, so they do do it. If she cant do that, she needs to put the 2 doors between cat and outside world into practice. At a push, she could be spayed when kits are 6 weeks old, depending on how they are feeding by themselves. It isn't ideal, but better than being allowed to get pregnant again.