PDA

View Full Version : How can I stop Millie chasing

John
21-08-2006, 04:08 PM
How can I stop my cat Millie chasing next door niegbours 2 cats .the niegbours moved in about 1 year ago with 2 kittens .they have since had a child and the 2 cats are out all the time,day and nite..I have started feeding them and would not mind if they came into my house when the weather is bad .they look as if they would like to come in but are a bit wary of Millie

John

Az
21-08-2006, 04:32 PM
I would have thought apart from actual restraining, it wouldn't be possible John.

Cats normally work out each other at their own pace.

When I was a kid we bought a kitten whilst we already had another cat and although at first they hated each other and couldn't get away fast enough, plenty of hissing and spitting afterwards, in the end, they slept together and were the best of friends :)

yola
21-08-2006, 06:02 PM
I think it's normal that they will be wary. After all, cats are very territorial and heirarchical.

I would suggest time is the best option here - work on them getting visually familiar with each other and then make a gradual introduction.

Is it your intention to eventually adopt/take on these cats? It's a shame when people push their cats to one side when children arrive.

Definitely hasn't and won't happen in my house!!! :shock: :shock:

Donna
21-08-2006, 06:08 PM
I wouldnt stop your cat chasing the other cats - it is natural for them to do so. As everyone says they will get to know each other more and more and one day will get fed up of all the chasing about.

dinahsmum
21-08-2006, 06:08 PM
I can't speak from experience John but I think the previous posters have covered it. If these sweeties aren't getting fed/care they may well seek to come to you where they know they will be well treated.
The cats will sort it out between themselves - it is Millie's house and she will probably be protective but it may well work out over time.
Good luck - let us know how it goes (and good on you for caring more for the cats than their so-called owners do)

dandysmom
21-08-2006, 08:24 PM
If you do take them in, expect some serious hissing and growling; it's Millie's house & as others have pointed out, cats are very terrritorial. But there are two of them, so I think eventually they & Millie will sort it out, with her being the boss! They may never become the best of friends, but should at least tolerate one another. Good for you looking after them!!

John
21-08-2006, 09:34 PM
thank you all for your kind replys,I think I will let Millie chase them for a while to see how they get on,hopefully they will get to know each other, and as the two cats get older,< they are only a year old> Millie will stop chasing them..then if they want to move in with me they will be more than welcome

john